User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #12946
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
Quote:
you can take a look at Stefan Hessler's rallye-site www.hessler-motorsport.de to see how to fit the SR 43 windshield to the SR 41/42.
I had a long look around Stefan's site and could not find anything about the 43 screen on the 41.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #12947
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Ray:

http://www.hessler-motorsport.de/sit...d=64&catid=129

Cheers,
Lars
Resi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #12948
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

A few photos:

Robs right...threads without photos are boring - so here's the photos:

New (for me) SR43 and SR41 with Lars headlights.

NOT a big fan of black. A repaint or new body panels preferable 1991 model in RED. Then black rims and a silver (like the swingarm) frame...at least that's the current plan.

Anyone out there with 91 red plastic that wants a trade?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #12949
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Hello Ray,
I forgot to tell you to look into the gallery, sorry. There is no discription but I think, you can see it by the pics.
Btw: Your 43 looks pretty small beside your 41!
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 05-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #12950
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Thanks Bambi,

Lars shoved me in the correct direction.

I didn't realize how different the two bikes were. Suzuki certainly decided to take much more of a "road" emphasis with the later models.

Some of this is photo perspective but the bikes do have different personalities. I'll have to take one of those "concourse-on-the-golf-course" photos like Rob did if I can ever get my lawn to look like that.

The extra frame gussets are nice and should be on the SR41s. It's going to take a bit more work to make the 43 as fast as the 41 when off-road.

The really "cool" thing about the 43 is the ability to change the color of the bike by just replacing all the plastic. No painting of steel tanks necessary. Now, if those panels weren't so expensive or available in the US, I'd really have something.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #12951
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
Road oriented SR43? Offroad oriented SR41?

Well....

Just back from 3000+ km ride around Morocco. With quite a few offroad. Quite hardcore.
Not a hitch wrong doing it with SR43 on 17" wheels even with road tyre at back.
If I'd had stock suspension on SR43,42,41 or even DR650 I'd be having my bike evacuated back to Belgium.
Thank's myself for WP Extreme forks and Wilbers shock. And thanks SR43 for reinforced frame and 5 less liters of fuel right on top of the bike.

The only drawback - I killed my oil rings on newly installed piston. Need new piston-rings.

IMHO there is totally no better bike for this than SR43 or SR41 or SR42 any Big for this matter. I find SR41/42/43 stock difference in one being better offroad than other a bit of myth now.

But I would not do it with stock suspension (even packed with different springs, intiminators etc.) for sure at risk of bad accident. Difference is amazing - it is firs time I did it with WPs and Wilbers and I never thought I'd be capable of this level of offroad ride before. Best ride I had so far.

If you have chance guys - get 10 days of riding Morocco, you won't regret it. Amazing country and amazing place to ride.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #12952
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Uhmmmm....Bluesman.....errr

What Rob said about photos........yeah, that.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #12953
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Thanks Bambi,

The really "cool" thing about the 43 is the ability to change the color of the bike by just replacing all the plastic. No painting of steel tanks necessary. Now, if those panels weren't so expensive or available in the US, I'd really have something.

Ray,
black with gold striping and decals always look regal. eg: Yamaha 'Midnight Special and John Player Norton. Another one I like is the Red, Orange and yellow striping and decals against the black.
Cheers.
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #12954
shanekfalcon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Hi everyone,
My 800 has been a bit of a headache of late, so I haven't been too active here. Issues with no spark - finally resolved. I've bought a balancer link chain and was going to replace it myself but chickened out. Anyhow, my mechanic said he will do it but would need the appropriate puller.
Is there a bike specific puller to the 800? if so, how can I get my hands on one?
Thanks,
Shane
shanekfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #12955
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
Certainly did not mean to imply that the 43 is no good off-road. Only that over time it seems every manufacturer seems to "chicken-out" with their DualSport machines in that they always seem to get more "streetified" (nice work, eh)

I've never seen a bike that got more off - road oriented over time.

As far as fuel load goes, the DR is a quantum leap better than the Africa Twin. I really don't notice a full tank on the DR.....with the AT it's very top heavy with full tank.

Quote:
Another one I like is the Red, Orange and yellow striping and decals against the black.
Can't handle Gold, Lloyd, thanks anyway. Any photos of these striping kits your referring to?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #12956
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
Is there a bike specific puller to the 800? if so, how can I get my hands on one?
Got mine here:

http://www.dssalesusa.net/contact.html

MP#39 (42mmX1.5) I think this is the correct size.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #12957
mait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Ride report with plenty of photos? Don't let us wait too long.
And what happened to the oil ring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post

Well....

Just back from 3000+ km ride around Morocco. With quite a few offroad. Quite hardcore.
Not a hitch wrong doing it with SR43 on 17" wheels even with road tyre at back.
If I'd had stock suspension on SR43,42,41 or even DR650 I'd be having my bike evacuated back to Belgium.
Thank's myself for WP Extreme forks and Wilbers shock. And thanks SR43 for reinforced frame and 5 less liters of fuel right on top of the bike.

The only drawback - I killed my oil rings on newly installed piston. Need new piston-rings.

IMHO there is totally no better bike for this than SR43 or SR41 or SR42 any Big for this matter. I find SR41/42/43 stock difference in one being better offroad than other a bit of myth now.

But I would not do it with stock suspension (even packed with different springs, intiminators etc.) for sure at risk of bad accident. Difference is amazing - it is firs time I did it with WPs and Wilbers and I never thought I'd be capable of this level of offroad ride before. Best ride I had so far.

If you have chance guys - get 10 days of riding Morocco, you won't regret it. Amazing country and amazing place to ride.
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #12958
shanekfalcon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Thanks Ladder. I'll send them an email but it also looks like there is a matching MCS product, so I may be on my way. Really appreciate the advice.
shanekfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #12959
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

TonyT,

I'm coveting your right side case and kick-starter....very nice.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #12960
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mait View Post
Ride report with plenty of photos? Don't let us wait too long.
And what happened to the oil ring?
2 of my friends had HD video on :) we have probably 200 GB of video and photos....it's going to be loooong write up :)

We just trying to upload data on.

Oil ring...
Well, you know some time back I had top-end re-done. I got bored out 0 size cylinder to +0.5 and re-used what seemed to be almost new piston +0.5 I had. I measured it all - all was in service limits. But I forgot to measure oil ring. Only measured compression rings.
Compression was OK when I tested. I slowly added up about 300 km with new top end. Then I "lost" it and let it work hard for next 500 km. Now it eats oil for breakfast, lunch and dinner
What is totally mysterious - where oil goes to. Bike does not smoke much, certainly not with oil. But I believe that oil ring was worn and I have to put new piston in. I have spare re-bored to +1 service cylinder, so I need to buy +1 piston and change barrel and piston. And let it run in properly for God sake

But oil is no problem in Morocco. Each petrol station have more oil choice than car shop in Belgium. I used scary 5 liters of oil for 3500 km and I did all I could to avoid revving it past 5000
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote