Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,676
That's an awesome interview Tony! Thanks for posting it!!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,722
Wow. I had forgotten all about that interview. I have that newsletter here somewhere, even though it was published 5 or so years before I got into Trials.

Adrian knows his sh*t fer sure, but it is a 50-50 proposition dealing with them. I buy from them when I can, but only when I can get some real traction from them. If Adrian and Mandy could find some real, dedicated help, they would be THE major factor in the Trials business here in North America. Just sayin'.......
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 584
The last few posts make clear how intensely personal this sport is. Ain't no people in it, ain't no money in it. And yet pretty soon you know all the names and quite a few of the faces.

Don't get mad at your dealer. In Arizona we depend on Mike Carlton, and his marbles rattle around a bit. But nobody has ever had my back better than Mike. He'll get you your stuff, and eventually your bill. If yer gonna go all Walmart, well, pick a different sport....

My nose wheelie is coming along a bit -- life is good!

Of course, to the OP -- sucks to have parts in limbo. Good luck and good karma, guy...
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:28 AM   #19
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
Jim at Rising Sun is a jerk.
This is an understatement in my opinion.

Jim Snell is the one I would hold personally responsible for me never considering owning another GG trials bike. I had two, loved the crap out of them, and then had the Jim Snell Experience when I called Rising Sun to order parts.

His attitude and ego towards CUSTOMERS really has to be be experienced to be believed.
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #20
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,349
That's too bad, because Dale Malasek the GG importer is a great guy.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #21
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoneer View Post
This is an understatement in my opinion.

Jim Snell is the one I would hold personally responsible for me never considering owning another GG trials bike. I had two, loved the crap out of them, and then had the Jim Snell Experience when I called Rising Sun to order parts.

His attitude and ego towards CUSTOMERS really has to be be experienced to be believed.

In Jim's meager defense, he works on bikes and services dealers. When you call him and ask him for a tank bolt of a decal, he goes ballistic. He only talks to dealers and if everyone in the world called him all day he would never get anything done. Think of him as the soup Nazi. "No parts for you". Let's just say that he likely has a lot of mirrors in his house and shop, he is found of himself but he also knows his shit and dealers are intimidated by him but absolutely love his brother.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #22
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
I concur. Jim is a great mechanic, but a poor customer service rep. He is very serious about work and hates to be interrupted. (he also restores vintage cars) For everyone's sanity sake, I suggest letting your dealer deal with Jim ( a valuable resource to the dealer network) and even then, they usually speak with Tim for parts orders. (a nice guy)

Dale is a great guy - but he better watch out. Tim from Beta is really working hard to displace him as the #1 trials bike importer. He has implemented some great programs. Would love to see Dale do some of those things. (Financing for one!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
In Jim's meager defense, he works on bikes and services dealers. When you call him and ask him for a tank bolt of a decal, he goes ballistic. He only talks to dealers and if everyone in the world called him all day he would never get anything done. Think of him as the soup Nazi. "No parts for you". Let's just say that he likely has a lot of mirrors in his house and shop, he is found of himself but he also knows his shit and dealers are intimidated by him but absolutely love his brother.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #23
ThrottleJock OP
Shaved Ape

Oddometer: 60
Thanks for all the input, guys. I'm over this particular incident but it has weighed on my mind in regards to the support of the trials bike brand I've chosen. I'm drawn to oddball bikes but I'm generally a little particular about ease of availability of parts and support for the stuff I ride, because I really ride it. I beat on my bikes, ride a lot of miles, race/compete, etc. I got this Raga for about $1000 below what they appear to be selling for in the open market, so I'll ride it for a year or so and then sell it and buy whatever brand that has current support in the US. Sounds like it is Sherco right now; a couple of the guys I ride with ride them and swear by the RYP support. The bikes seem nice as well. Anyway, I'm an advanced/expert level rider and don't really know what I'm doing out there so ANY of these bikes would be plenty good.

Having said all that, I don't hold a grudge against the good folks at Lewisport. I know this is their 2nd job, I know they're doing it as a hobby and as a passion in support of a sport they love, and I'm appreciative of that. I knew what I was getting into when I bought a Gas Gas. I've been through the same bullshit with other oddball bikes/brands and I have to imagine that someday I'll learn my lesson. But probably not.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #24
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
What about local (in-state) dealers?

Had you given any of your local dealers a call before going to Lewisport? I count six dealers in North Carolina and I'm sure that there's someone there that could get the part for you. Lewisport has a cool website and everything but I'd bet that you'd get more personal service from someone closer to you. I know that this isn't always the case. I lived in Virginia when I bought my 08 Raga from a fellow in New England. Stu Preston at Jack's Cycles helped get the dealer rate on the shipping and since we established a rapport during the transaction I've gone to him for parts ever since.

Don't give up on the Gas Gas just because of this experience.

- Ken

The Gas Gas USA website http://www.gasgas.com/dealers.htm lists these dealers:

Competition Wheels & Cycles Jim Mckenzie 704-906-3238
5851 Weddington Rd
Concord, NC 28027
competitionwheels@carolina.rr.com http://competitionwheelsandcyclesinc.com/

Fast Bike Industries David Behrend
828-243-7240
828-435-0125
18 Rugby Knoll Dr
Hendersonville, NC 28791
david@fastbikeindustries.com www.fastbikeindustries.com

Palmer Motorsports Todd Palmer
704-489-1125
fax 704-489-1160
2569 Hwy 16 N
Denver, NC 28037
palmermotorsport@bellsouth.net http://www.palmermotorsports.biz

Dirt & Street Cycle Steven Stirewalt 704-279-5975
fax 704-279-2588 10500 Old Beatty Ford Rd.
Rockwell, NC 28138 info@dirtandstreetcycle.com www.dirtandstreetcycle.com

East Coast Observed Trials Garry Hoover 919 779 6744
fax 919-661-7689 3300 Kirks Grove Ln
Raleigh, NC 27603 hooverg@bellsouth.net

Fullers Action Cycles Tracy Fuller 828 652 5358
fax 828-652-5358 9 North Main St
Marion, NC 28752 fuller521@verizon.net www.fullerscycles.com
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #25
ThrottleJock OP
Shaved Ape

Oddometer: 60
Oh yeah!

I have met and purchased a few parts from Jim at Competition Wheels in the past. He's a great guy. He spent 45 minutes with me answering a zillion newbie questions and talked me into competing the first time.He and his family are involved in the sport big time around here. I completely forgot he was a Gas Gas dealer. Thanks for the reminder, that's the course I'll take in the future.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #26
Jonny042
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
I concur. Jim is a great mechanic, but a poor customer service rep. He is very serious about work and hates to be interrupted. (he also restores vintage cars) For everyone's sanity sake, I suggest letting your dealer deal with Jim ( a valuable resource to the dealer network) and even then, they usually speak with Tim for parts orders. (a nice guy)

Dale is a great guy - but he better watch out. Tim from Beta is really working hard to displace him as the #1 trials bike importer. He has implemented some great programs. Would love to see Dale do some of those things. (Financing for one!)
I agree with all the above. And concur that if you can't get what you need from your dealer, try another one! There are tons of dealers! So some are more committed to stocking spares and etc than others but sooner or later you'll find someone you click with.

I am sad to say that I too have had my share of disappointment with Lewisport. It's too bad, they seem like nice people, and do support the sport to a great degree.

I can personally HIGHLY RECOMMEND Stu at Jacks Cycles. He answers his emails, never fails to answer any questions I may have, and is committed to providing excellent customer service!!!! He really deserves my (and yours) support in the future, so if there's anything you need give him a call or email him. Personally I can say that he sold me srpings for my bike and the order ended up being CHEAPER than he originally quoted. That doesn't happen that often, and I can honestly say he is doing this for the love of the sport.

http://www.jackscycles.com

As for the Beta vs GAS GAS debate, another one of the programs that Beta offers is bike rental for the NATC Nationals! Not that a Gas Gas rider can't rent them, but i might have to have them start it for me!! But it is a fantastic deal for basically show up with your gear and ride:

http://www.americanbeta.com/sites/de...%2C%202011.pdf

Jonny042 screwed with this post 05-14-2012 at 04:37 PM
Jonny042 is offline   Reply With Quote