ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 201 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #3466
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Interesting idea. I think editing prior posts is going to have to be the way the thread is maintained, but if I added (and then deleted) a post saying work has been done there, anyone subscribed would get a notification.
Add a new post, with copied details from a prior (outdated) post along with the new updated details and then delete the old outdated original post so we would not have to re-read through the whole thread to find any updates. This new updated post would then automatically be notified to subscribers. We the subscribers would be easily kept up to date in this case.

Is this what you were thinking ?
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #3467
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Hi all, got another quick tech question

I am using the rugged AMPS ATV thing and it has the female socket for a speaker. Now, what type of speaker can I use here?

I was hoping to mount a boat/ waterproof speaker to this output so i need to know the speaker impedance?

unless it is at line level which means I will need some type of amp?

I will mount it on the dash and only have it unmuted when I am navigating through an unfamiliar city, my music will be off at this point.

Any ideas on what is needed?

Cheers from Greece
TravellingStrom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #3468
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Add a new post, with copied details from a prior (outdated) post along with the new updated details and then delete the old outdated original post so we would not have to re-read through the whole thread to find any updates. This new updated post would then automatically be notified to subscribers. We the subscribers would be easily kept up to date in this case.

Is this what you were thinking ?
Another interesting idea - will ponder it as I change my kitchen taps, a job I didn't know was necessary until 30 minutes ago.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #3469
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Hi all, got another quick tech question

I am using the rugged AMPS ATV thing and it has the female socket for a speaker. Now, what type of speaker can I use here?

I was hoping to mount a boat/ waterproof speaker to this output so i need to know the speaker impedance?

unless it is at line level which means I will need some type of amp?

I will mount it on the dash and only have it unmuted when I am navigating through an unfamiliar city, my music will be off at this point.

Any ideas on what is needed?

Cheers from Greece
TravellingStrom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
the audio output is only powerfull enough to drive ear phones or head sets like you would use on any MP3 player. the connection is standard connector that these same ear phones or head sets use. I used a cable with 2 male ends on it I bought at the local big box store.

you could use speakers if they were powered (like speakers you can plug into the back of a PC)
you said "your music will be off at that point". you do understand that the montana does not play music correct?
Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #3470
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Can anyone with the camera comment on picture quality? How does it compare to a iphone for example? Does it have video?

Thanks!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #3471
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Another interesting idea - will ponder it as I change my kitchen taps, a job I didn't know was necessary until 30 minutes ago.
goggles and snorkel ?
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #3472
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Can anyone with the camera comment on picture quality? How does it compare to a iphone for example? Does it have video?

Thanks!
A quick search for "picture" turns up a few posts that you may want to read. like: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=587

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #3473
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
the audio output is only powerfull enough to drive ear phones or head sets like you would use on any MP3 player. the connection is standard connector that these same ear phones or head sets use. I used a cable with 2 male ends on it I bought at the local big box store.

you could use speakers if they were powered (like speakers you can plug into the back of a PC)
you said "your music will be off at that point". you do understand that the montana does not play music correct?
OK cheers , I will need to buy a powered iphone pool speaker or something, that should do the trick :) Next time I see an Apple sign, I am in there :)

Oh yeah, I am using a Camos bluetooth system to send music from my ipod to my head, and after trying to run the old TomTom voice into my headset I have decided it is not worth the effort. Rather use voice prompt ONLY when I want it! It is the Camos design, it fades the sound from the music when a voice prompt turns up, but bu the time the music sound fades down and the voice fades up, all I used to hear was the last word of the message if I was lucky.

Cheers
TS
Old 05-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #3474
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post

Thanks!
It's nowhere near the quality of an iPhone, and does not do video.

It's about as good as a $40 digital camera, which is what it costs, coincidentally. I think it's worth getting, though.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #3475
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
OK cheers , I will need to buy a powered iphone pool speaker or something, that should do the trick :) Next time I see an Apple sign, I am in there :)

Oh yeah, I am using a Camos bluetooth system to send music from my ipod to my head, and after trying to run the old TomTom voice into my headset I have decided it is not worth the effort. Rather use voice prompt ONLY when I want it! It is the Camos design, it fades the sound from the music when a voice prompt turns up, but bu the time the music sound fades down and the voice fades up, all I used to hear was the last word of the message if I was lucky.

Cheers
TS
Just any waterproof power speaker would work, why waist money on buying something with a apple stain on it?
I use the Sena bluetooth helmet solution (smh10 and SM10 to connect GPS to). It works good, but I always miss the first word or 2. GPS says 1.5 miles right turn on long road, I hear 5 miles right turn on long road, but I know of the problem and know to look at the GPS.

Bluetooth is always going to do this because it has to open the connection first.
The solution would be for the GPS manufactures to put an option in "delay voice for X seconds". Then the gps could send a beep out the output (to turn on the bluetooth device), wait X seconds then say the words.

Actually that does sound like a good idea, and probably easy for them to program :)
Even if it was a set delay of 2 seconds, it would be long enough.

Where do I sent this request to :) ?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #3476
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Yes, if I remove my earplug the Volume slider disappears and you just have the Backlight slider. Sounds like you have a defective unit.
Apparently not a defective unit but defective user. I reset the default and the slider came back. I don't know how or when but somehow I must have deleted the volume slider. What a moran.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #3477
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
Apparently not a defective unit but defective user. I reset the default and the slider came back. I don't know how or when but somehow I must have deleted the volume slider. What a moran.
Interesting - I used this as the latest idea for the "Wisdom" thread: THE WAYS A MONTANA CAN FAIL AND HOW TO FIX IT:

The post is obviously not the be-all and end-all of Montana failure types, but I think it covers the basics. If anyone has other failure types/solutions to suggest for the topic, I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #3478
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
You can get the top locked in with the bottom not seated correctly. Are you sure it wasn't running on battery power?
Yes.

I have my GPS lead switched via a dash switch. I turned the switch on after putting the GPS in the mount, and it powered up when I hit that switch—I never hit the power switch on the GPS itself, and it was definitely operating at plugged-in brightness, not self-powered brightness.

Someone else suggested listening for an audible snap as the unit seats. I don't think mine ever did that, whether it was properly seated or not (although I may have had my earplugs in by the time I put the GPS on the bike and thus missed it). I'm going to try to remember to check later today.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #3479
TowPro
Getting there

How do I remove Beta software and go back to production code?
Too many things I don't trust on this latest beta and I need to make a ride this weekend to proof ride part of the Trans PA Trail. I can't afford to have a problem.

1) I have shortcuts to "toggle" maps on or off. when I press that short cut it does not look like it is working, it just highlights the shortcut until I hit another button. yes it does toggle the map, but something deep inside me is telling me "go back to production code for this weekends ride".
Old 05-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #3480
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
What bugs in 4.03?

Got a list?

I have not found even one bug yet.
I've not got a list as I can't find a way to repeat the problems but I've had several crashes when just selecting different menu options. No real consistency - just poking around and viewing the menu items seems to crash the unit. That being said, I don't think it's new to the latest beta version.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote