ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 658 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #25276
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
My DE is a 92 and I remember looking at the Gold Cup in the store back then. I seem to remember it had the adjustable sights, but I don't recall any other visible differences.
Long time ago so I could be wrong.
Yup, the GC had an adjustable sight. One of the raps on the GC, both the standard 45ACP version, and the Delta, had to do with the sight. It was/is held in place by a pin and they had a bad habit of shearing off with the sight flying off to parts unknown. I had that happen with a 45 GC I had back around that time. But the Delta had a thicker roll pin and while I wondered if one day it would go into orbit, it never did. I don't know how many rounds I have through the gun, probably 700 or so, but those have been full power loads and the sight and gun have handled it fine so far. I've also found it to be very reliable, cannot recall having had a single malfunction in that gun. It really throws the brass, though, which is a PITA as I handload and end up losing more than I am able to salvage whenever I shoot it.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #25277
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post
I think it does have a beaver tail...
I think it does have a commander hammer

I think there's some pictures in here, somewheres... show us your pythons!

*Shawn - you know my preference in biers... we'll have to crack a few sometime again!
If that is it in that pic, it has a commander style hammer, but not a beaver tail safety.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #25278
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
If that is it in that pic, it has a commander style hammer, but not a beaver tail safety.
The Delta GC came with a sort of half-assed beavertail, but I wanted a better one with a speed-bump, ala my IPSC shooting setup, so had the frame ground and a better one installed. I now wish I had not done that, the gun is worth some $ in original condition, considerably less sliced&diced like mine. So, it's purely a shooter......which is fine really.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #25279
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer
 
SkidMarx's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Ortonville, MI
Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Yup, the GC had an adjustable sight. One of the raps on the GC, both the standard 45ACP version, and the Delta, had to do with the sight. It was/is held in place by a pin and they had a bad habit of shearing off with the sight flying off to parts unknown. I had that happen with a 45 GC I had back around that time. But the Delta had a thicker roll pin and while I wondered if one day it would go into orbit, it never did. I don't know how many rounds I have through the gun, probably 700 or so, but those have been full power loads and the sight and gun have handled it fine so far. I've also found it to be very reliable, cannot recall having had a single malfunction in that gun. It really throws the brass, though, which is a PITA as I handload and end up losing more than I am able to salvage whenever I shoot it.
No kidding on the brass. Don't know if that is a DE thing, or a 10mm thing, but I was at the range last week and saw a bunch of brass back by the fence a good 10 feet from where most of the brass was. Sure enough, 10mm.

No idea how many rounds I have through mine. 5000+ I'd guess. I did wear it out though. It started stovepipeing like crazy a few years ago and I stopped shooting it. Finally got around to freshening it up a few months ago. I replaced the extractor and mag springs and it's happy again. No problems in 300 rounds. Added/matched a new barrel bushing while I was at it.
__________________
'90 XT350
'08 WR250R
GLDS
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #25280
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
No kidding on the brass. Don't know if that is a DE thing, or a 10mm thing, but I was at the range last week and saw a bunch of brass back by the fence a good 10 feet from where most of the brass was. Sure enough, 10mm.

No idea how many rounds I have through mine. 5000+ I'd guess. I did wear it out though. It started stovepipeing like crazy a few years ago and I stopped shooting it. Finally got around to freshening it up a few months ago. I replaced the extractor and mag springs and it's happy again. No problems in 300 rounds. Added/matched a new barrel bushing while I was at it.
I've never fired any other 10mm, now that I think of it. I almost bought a Glock in that caliber once, but don't like Glocks so decided against it. I wonder if they fling the brass into the next county? If you have 5K+ rounds through yours, how is it holding up? Any battering of the frame and/or slide? I think the fact that the brass goes flying says something about the velocity of the slide rebounding, so one would expect some peening eventually....

I try to replace the recoil spring in my 1911s every 1500 rounds or so as I believe they weaken over time. I don't think I've ever had to replace an extractor.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #25281
Lakeguy556
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Lakeguy556's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Tyrone, PA
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Judging by the pic, looks like it did (assuming its stock).

Lakeguy556,
What year was that one made?
Early 90's

It was considered the "enhanced" series by Colt

Best part of it all?. Picked it up at a local Fudd gun shop a few years ago for $700. Guy dropped it off for consignment sale and apparently needed the cash pretty quick or didn't know what it was worth. I almost shit when I saw the price tag.
Another finger banging pic

Lakeguy556 screwed with this post 05-14-2012 at 02:44 PM
Lakeguy556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #25282
Lakeguy556
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Lakeguy556's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Tyrone, PA
Oddometer: 112
oops...double tap
Lakeguy556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #25283
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post
I think it does have a beaver tail...
I think it does have a commander hammer

I think there's some pictures in here, somewheres... show us your pythons!

*Shawn - you know my preference in biers... we'll have to crack a few sometime again!
I was refering to this one.....

__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #25284
OneZero
TGT of Opportunity
 
OneZero's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Oahu
Oddometer: 296
I have a west point bicentennial (2002) class pistol that is in pristine condition. It's a Colt .45 1911 with gold plating on various parts of the slide, safety, and hammer. Any idea how much it might be worth? I'm curious for insurance purposes. I'll post some pics shortly...
__________________
There is no greater honor in this world than leading U.S. Soldiers at home and abroad. 'nuff said.
OneZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #25285
Lakeguy556
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Lakeguy556's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Tyrone, PA
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneZero View Post
I have a west point bicentennial (2002) class pistol that is in pristine condition. It's a Colt .45 1911 with gold plating on various parts of the slide, safety, and hammer. Any idea how much it might be worth? I'm curious for insurance purposes. I'll post some pics shortly...
A few were on GB for between $2200 to $2800 recently. So my guess would be $2K actual "street" value, maybe more?
Lakeguy556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #25286
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneZero View Post
I have a west point bicentennial (2002) class pistol that is in pristine condition. It's a Colt .45 1911 with gold plating on various parts of the slide, safety, and hammer. Any idea how much it might be worth? I'm curious for insurance purposes. I'll post some pics shortly...
For most insurance companies an opinion isn't worth much, take it to a gun shop who knows their stuff and pay them for a written value.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #25287
OneZero
TGT of Opportunity
 
OneZero's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Oahu
Oddometer: 296
I apologize for the upside down pics...still figuring out this new iPhone.



__________________
There is no greater honor in this world than leading U.S. Soldiers at home and abroad. 'nuff said.
OneZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #25288
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze
 
DireWolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: In the Mustard Booyah. Whooop!!
Oddometer: 11,630
$5,500, easy.
__________________
Please help Elias' (Toolfan's) young family - they lost a husband and a father: Donation Page: Toolfan Support Fund
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #25289
BHW
Beastly Adventurer
 
BHW's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 4,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Personally, it's hard to beat a nice (lightly used) Clitoris.
I prefer them shiny and new, with zero rounds down the tube!
__________________
2003 Aprilia Tuono
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency!
BHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #25290
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
$5,500, easy.
How do you come to that determination? Is there a site for commemorative 1911s?
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014