Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #451
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppalong View Post
Brian, great ride report. I'm really enjoying it.

Several years ago I was a tourist in Mexico. I was walking alone one day when a local police car pulled right into my path. The officer, and 3 others without uniforms, jumped out and surrounded me. The cop asked for my wallet. He looked at my I.D and then gave my wallet back, then ordered me into the back of the police car. As the cop drove he would reach into the back seat, hand open, palm up. I was driven around until the moment he had all my money. Then they let me go while they joked and laughed.

And when I tried to report it to the local authorities, you wouldn't believe the laughter.

But that was several years ago.
Thanks, I am glad you are enjoying the RR

That sounds like a bunch of pretty crappy cops. I really do believe what comes around goes around, so they will get theirs in the end. I hope they didn't get too much money from you.

Starting today, I no longer carry much money in my wallet. I am stashing the majority of my money on my body so if they see in my wallet, they won't see much.

I tried the "need money for food" thing on the cop because it works on pushy street vendors. I think they see a gringo and think we have lots of money(usually true), but if they think we are poor as well, and have to watch our money for food, maybe they can relate and back off a bit. Its a theory I hope I don't get the opportunity to prove or disprove

BC Brian screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 09:19 PM
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #452
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 74 and 75 May 10 and 11 509 kms Veracruz to Tampico

I decided to stay in Veracruz another day and have a better look around. I headed out before it got too hot, and walked towards downtown.

I hung out for a bit in one of the town parques

A guy sleeping with what looked like all his worldly possessions.

Headed down to the wharf.

I didn’t really have a plan or direction to go, so I was just kind of wandering around and came across this

Baluarte de Santiago

I headed back to the hotel for a bit of bike maintenance and to hang out in the air conditioned room.

I headed out for pizza later, and had lots of fun practicing Spanish with the workers in the pizza joint. There was a bunch of young kids working there, and I was the only customer. I commented on how I had a lot of help, and they thought that was pretty funny. Then they had a bunch of laughs counting how many people were helping me. They kind of got into a bit of a fun argument as to whether there were 5 or 6 of them serving me. They were pretty giggly kids, even the muchachos……. I guess kids are kids in any language J

I got up relatively early to hit the road, loaded the bike, and asked the staff if they could move the vehicle that was parked in my way. The parking was pretty tight, so the hotel guests were asked to leave their keys at the front desk in case their vehicles needed to be moved. A young hotel worker comes out, runs around to find the right keys, finally gets the right keys, and asks me to get in the vehicle to move it out of the way. Ummmm….. OK, I guess so……
I re-park some hotel guest’s car, and hit the road.

Hotel parking

I fuel up, find the right road, am cruising along minding my own business, and guess who pulls up beside me, says hi, and wants to chat? The cop from the other day. I guess he thinks there was absolutely nothing wrong with what he did the other day, and wants to be my friend. He rides beside me for a while, asking me how I am and where I am going. He asks if I went to the ruins the other day, so I tell him no, I didn’t have enough money. He wants to talk, but I am not really into it, so he rides with me for a bit, tells me to have a nice day, and roars off. Go figure.

I rode good roads, bad roads, toll roads, free roads and saw lots of little towns. At one point, I saw this sticking up out of the hills.

I looked but didn’t see Richard Dreyfuss crawling around anywhere.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #453
BluNozr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Just missed ya Brian. I was in Vera Cruz Monday night on my way north. Sorry I missed ya.
BluNozr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #454
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 76 May 12 606 kms Tampico to Harlington Tx

Harlingen Texas, I am in Harlingen Texas, not Harlington.......

When I rode into Tampico and was looking for a hotel for the night, I saw this big assed hotel sticking up on the skyline.I usually ride into a town, park, and look around for a hotel, and figured this hotel would be a good starting point. I parked in a “no parking” zone in front of the hotel, looked in, and saw this.

From the website

Just for kicks, I thought I would go in and see caunto cuesta. 580 pesos (about $44) a night? I figured that once I was in the states, I wasn’t going to find a lot of luxury hotels for $44, so I said “I’ll take it.”

I had a great night with air conditioning, hot water and dependable internet.(for $44 bucks it had better have all the luxuries) J

I had heard that it was best NOT to stay near the northern Mexico border, so I got up early to head out for Texas. The night before, Tampico was a super busy town with lots of traffic. At 7:30 am, not so much. As I wanted to make a mile, I stayed on the main roads. Not the best roads for looking around and seeing stuff, but great for making time. The roads were in good shape, with wide shoulders to ride on when people were passing in my lane (a normal occurrence here) and they didn’t weave through the down town core of every little town I came to.

I rode pretty much straight through, and only stopped a for a couple of rest breaks

About 60 miles from Matamoros, just as I was wondering where were all the military check points, I rolled up to a pretty big one. They were checking everybody, and there were peoples belongings strewn all over the “check vehicles” lanes at the pullout. I had been expecting a big checkpoint near the border, and here it was. The guys were really friendly, checked in a couple of my bags, and then wanted to chat about where I had been and what I was doing. I headed out, and about 30 miles later there was a police checkpoint. They didn’t want to check my bike, but again the guy wanted to chat. He was from Juchitan, and wondered if I had been there. I told him I had, and assured him that it was the nicest part of mexico, and that I liked it so much there that I stayed an extra night. I didn’t bother telling him that I got caught up in the middle of a taxi drivers strike there or that I couldn’t find a decent room and had to go to Tehauntepec to find a room J

I got to Matamoros, and it was HOT out. Got in line for the border, and it was backed up all the way through residential areas.The traffic was moving really slow, and I finally got to where I could see the Mexican side of the border crossing, but I was unsure where to go for customs (it’s not that obvious)
I pulled out of line, rode around a small block, and the security was directing traffic back to town. Crap. I stopped and asked a guard where was the aduana, and he saw my import sticker, and moved some pylons, lifted a chain barrier for me to go under, and directed me to la aduana. Sweet. Got my bike checked out of Mexico, and I asked where was the immigration so I could check myself out. He points to the line of traffic, says that way, so away I go. The traffic was moving really slow, and I got to the toll booth (no kidding, you have to pay toll to leave. I am assuming it was to cross the bridge over the Rio Grande) But…. I don’t see where I check myself out of Mexico. I cross the Rio Grande (It’s not so Grande) and eventually pull up to the US border. Hmmmm

Thanks Google images)
I talk to the border guard, he runs my passport, asks me a few questions to check the answers against what I had said when I entered the states, no red flags, so he wants to chat. I tell him about travelling in Mexico and Guatemala, he tells me about the Australians he met who were doing a RTW, he said he wouldn’t want to do it on his Harley, all in English. Cool!

I go to leave, and, because I had been starting my bike so much, it wouldn’t start. Crap. I roll into the “search vehicles” area, they come out to see what I am up to, and a couple of young border guards agree to give me a push. They very patiently explain to me how to bump start my bike, and I want to tell them, “yeah, I’ve done this before”, but I kind of needed their help, so I keep my mouth shut (a practice I have found to be useful with border guards and police officers)

Bump, and away I go, hollering thank you over my shoulder.

But, I still haven’t checked out of Mexico. I hope that doesn’t present me with difficulties in the future.

I ride through Harlington, and see a “motel 6” with a big sign advertising how cheap it is, but I figure it’s still early, I should try to make a mile. Just then I look ahead of me, and see a horrific looking black sky and just then lightning bolts start hitting the ground. That motel just started looking real good. I turn around, head back to the hotel just as the skies opened up into a torrential downpour.

The first thing I did when I got to my room was pour a glass of water………. from the tap……………… and drank it J

BC Brian screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 09:14 AM
Old 05-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #455
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNozr View Post
Just missed ya Brian. I was in Vera Cruz Monday night on my way north. Sorry I missed ya.
Sorry I missed you, Len.

There is a good chance I will be in Nova Scotia in the not too distant future. If you are there, I'll look you up.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #456
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
But, I still haven’t checked out of Mexico. I hope that doesn’t present me with difficulties in the future.

When leaving from Mexico to the States by road I have never cancelled my Tourist card, I always cancel the TVIP. The 1 thing I always miss when I leave Mexico is the food.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #457
EmilianoXR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Food ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post

When leaving from Mexico to the States by road I have never cancelled my Tourist card, I always cancel the TVIP. The 1 thing I always miss when I leave Mexico is the food.
JAJJJA food ?????
Old 05-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #458
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Si la comida! La comida de Mexico es mejor que Los Estados y Canada!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #459
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 77 May 13 297 kms Harlingen Tx to Robstown Tx

I wasn’t in a rush to get going anywhere, so I hung around in the hotel and made some mother’s day phone calls with my Magic Jack app.

Rode north for a while, and just about the time I was thinking it might be nice to start looking for a pullout for a break, I see this.

A rest area! I had forgotten about rest areas! Flush toilets and running water and……. A pop machine. I bought a coke and sat for a bit watching the cars go buy. I went back to my bike and there was an older fellow looking at it. I got to talking with him and he was from Wisconsin, heading for Houston, and he was pretty impressed I had ridden all through Mexico, but hadn’t I been raabed? (Raabed, what the heck is raabed? Oh robbed?) I told him I had no problems in Mexico, except the cop who shook me down for 100 pesos.

Turns out they were going to Houston because they have the best cancer clinic in the USA, as his wife had terminal cancer. What do you say? I told him that hopefully they can buy some more time with the clinic, and he sadly said he hoped so. I am not the world’s most spiritual guy, but I told him not to underestimate the power of prayer. I wished them luck and they told me to stay safe.

I headed off down the highway, and noticed there were lots of wide open spaces.

I got to Robstown and took a look around. It’s a pretty nice little town just out of Corpus Christi. I talked to a few people, and they were all amazed that I had ridden from Canada, then even more amazed I had ridden through Mexico, and survived. I met this one young fellow who asked me for directions. He was playing loud rap music in his car (apparently you don’t turn the music off when you get out of the car) and looked like someone out of the movies. Sideways hat, loud clothes, strong accent. (His name was Morris, Pronounced Moooorees.) He thought it was so cool that I had ridden my bike all this way, and I visited with him for quite a bit. He was from Texas, lived in California for a few years, and was back in Texas. Before he left, he wished me luck and told me to stay safe.

A guy in a car started talking to me at a stop light. He liked the bike and thought I was a long ways from town. He too was amazed that I wasn’t killed or worse in Mexico J
We sat at the light talking after the light had turned green, and the cars behind us didn’t seem to be in a rush and didn’t honk at us to move. Gotta like it (we did eventually get out of their way)
As he pulled away he wished me luck and told me to stay safe J

I was feeling the cost of being back in the states, so I looked for a place to camp. Freecampsites.net showed a place just out of Robstown, so I checked it out. I had a bite to eat and this guy came over to visit, and promptly took a crap on my kindle J

The signs showed I needed a permit to camp there, so I asked a county Sheriff who was driving by where I got one from. He said town hall, but it was closed weekends. Crap. He told me it would probably be ok to camp there anyhow, so I did. As he drove off he wished me luck and told me to be safe J

Old 05-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #460
EmilianoXR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Si la comida! La comida de Mexico es mejor que Los Estados y Canada!
I LIKE YOU APRECIATE THAT !!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #461
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks Cal. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal.

Yeah, the food is great, and cheap,..... and great. Even the more "American" type foods just seem that much better there.

There is lots of things I will miss about Mexico. I am fer sher going to spend more time down there in the future.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #462
Colorado Pickle
n00b

Oddometer: 3
So, I just spent a lot of my workday reading through this amazing journey you've taken and have to say that it looks like one hell of a fun time. I admit that Mexico probably wouldn't be my first choice, but you've inspired me to think about it!
Colorado Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #463
Steve and Lisa World
StillaRat & Stumper

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
The first thing I did when I got to my room was pour a glass of water………. from the tap……………… and drank it
Why not just rub it in with some salt buddy
Steve and Lisa World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #464
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
After reading your first post im glad to see that you were able to make this happen. good on ya' man. live it up. nice to see the Buell munching miles and ADVed out. very nice .

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #465
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Pickle View Post
So, I just spent a lot of my workday reading through this amazing journey you've taken and have to say that it looks like one hell of a fun time. I admit that Mexico probably wouldn't be my first choice, but you've inspired me to think about it!
Thanks colorado Pickle

I am happy to do my part for the "unproductiveness" of the work day.

I have been having a great time. I loved Mexico, and like I have repeated many, many,.......... many times here in Texas, its reasonably safe as long as you keep your wits about you and don't take unnecessary risks. I rode mostly in daylight hours, didn't wander down dark alleys, and didn't take offense to people who cut me off or were driving in my lane.

the people were great, and as Cal mentioned, the food was terrific.