Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #91
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckedUp View Post
Here is the link to all the photos I took at the rally. Feel free to download what you wish. Im still uploading so check back a few times during the day.

EVIA Rally Photos Link
thanks a lot, you even got my three friends down there all together
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #92
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
I just spoke with Gus on the #5. He had a good ride so the results should be good. Meanwhile, Mark Reynolds rode a great stage one on the #5 making time on everybody. Not bad for a Buell Lightning series racer. He was a contender too. I saw it!

Fun stuff
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:47 AM   #93
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Αnother pic of the Africa Twin for whomever was interested...

I am back in Athens, facing a shitload of work, but will start a mini-review soon

Old 05-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #94
paco104
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
thanks GZ!

more photos huh? Here's me today, taking Francesco Barraja's 690RR for a little spin around the bivvy

Yesterday and today were spent providing support for my friends Vassilis and Timi who remained in the race, I am
overjoyed that provisional results show that Vassilis has won the overall!

I was waiting for him at the end of today's special, he actually passed the finish crashing and sliding past the time keeper!
I think he was so determined today, he must have got back about 20 minutes on a 100km special over Adrianno Groppo who was leading up until day 4

Timi also finished today after banging up her ankle yesterday, we had to help her onto the bike this morning... she has more determination than most guys I have seen at this rally and I am proud of her

Yesterday we chased the riders around the southern part of the island (Steira), and our support car actually broke down because of.... I shit you not... the gearbox! Again!!!

I am now officially known as Mr. GearboX Destroyer

Nikos and Costas, the two other racers who had pulled out and were providing support with me made their way back to the bivvy in the back of the Bulgarian A2 team support van, I had to do the same in the back of Palaska's support van
(Palaskas is the guy with the orange Pajero who raced this year's Africa Eco Race)

Too many stories to tell, I will try my best in the following days, along with lots of pictures... right now I am going to sleep for an hour and then go to the award ceremony, which most probably turn into a huge party

Everybody is safe, smiling, and already making plans for Serres Rally in late August
esa es mi moto

paco104 screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 11:36 AM
paco104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #95
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Hey Paco!

Todos bien?

Are you going to do Sardenia?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #96
paco104
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco104 View Post
esa es mi moto
si si todo muy bien . Bienes al rally de albania?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #97
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

No, not enough time to fix the bike...

I am going for Serres on the 28th of August... will let you know

Good luck in Albania! I hope the organization is better this year,
I think that the GPS tracking is going to be by a Swedish crew for the 2012
edition
Old 05-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #98
Rimlocker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Feedback on the F2R

[QUOTE=RuckedUp;18261347]I got a few items in the mail today so I did a quick mockup of the F2R. I'll be working on this in the morning.
How did the F2R workout? They look good value for the money, hope you enjoyed the rally the videos on U tube look good
Rimlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #99
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

So here's my half assed attempt at a mini review of Evia Rally, up until the prologue

Monday April 23rd

My friend Polytimi and I arrived at the bivouac on Monday and set up camp, we were also hauling another friend's FE570 along... Costas would be joining the Rally on the 3rd day because of work commitments.

Polytimi rides a 450 Berg, me on my vintage 520... Another friend who was competing was Nikos Spanos, ex-KTM southeast europe sales manager and ace 990 pilot. I had met Nikos back in Serres last year as we had competed in the same class (he was on a 530 then, and his paddock was hosting Kemal Merkit and Selcuk Bektas, two Turkish riders who were doing Serres as navigation training for their Dakar '12 attempt)

Nikos Spanos passes by our set-up in the bivouac. Don't let the bivvy scooter fool you, he actually flies on a 990

After taking care of registration and other boring stuff, we all grabbed some lunch in one of the tavernas on the harbor... the atmosphere was amazing, imagine a quaint mediterranean seaside town, filled with about 200 competitors & support crews from all over Europe, with the majority being Italians, Austrians, Bulgarians alongside Turks, Greeks and other Balkan competitors. My Big Fat Greek Rally. I met up with inmate Ruckedup (Glenn), who had travelled from Germany with his exc450, it was good to catch up and finally put a face to a name...

Technical inspection was a breeze, 3 Slovenian marshals showed up in their kick ass Land Cruiser and proceeded to check our bikes for lights, horn, mirror and stop lights. They ticked our race numbers off their list and we were good to go.

The Slovenian's ride. Yes, there was probably a substantial amount of beer in the trunk

Around 8pm we headed to the briefing room for a small welcome from the organizer and a quick description of the following day which was the prologue. Two runs of about 2kms down a beach, the best run of two would be kept to decide starting order for day 2.

Back to the port for dinner, and to welcome a few other riding pals who had arrived, among them Vasilis, a young and extremely talented rider who had won the overall in Serres where I had met him.

The briefing room at the hotel where race direction had set up

We headed back to our rooms, a nice little hotel overlooking the harbor from a hill, about 600m from the bivouac. I did some minor preparations and gear checking, and tried to get an early night's sleep. I was sure I was going to need as much as possible in the days to come...

Tuesday April 24th

An easy morning, breakfast at the hotel, then gearing up and getting in the mini-van to go down to the bivouac with Polytimi. Around 10 we started the annoying drill of waiting for our turn to get onto the starting ramp... with about a 100 plus bikes, it took a while. Yesterday's summer weather had turned overcast this morning, and a few drops fell now and then but it was still too warm for a jacket, most people had turned up in mx shirts

All geared up and nowhere to race

Glenn and I, bored as hell, waiting for our turn onto the ramp

My 3 seconds of glory

So, the silly ramp part over, all bikes regrouped in front of the hotel that hosted the Race secretary, and were then led in an mind-numbing and infuriating slow march of 17kms to get to the beach.

About half the bikes in the race, regrouped and waiting to be led down the road to the beach

What started out as goofing off, riding next to Vassilis, and waving to the friendly locals who had lined the roads to watch the spectacle of a hundred multicolored bikes rolling by, soon turned into a maddening attempt to keep the engines cool... the convoy was travelling at 12mph at best, I could start to feel the motor heat inside my boots, and one poor Turkish rider lost his radiator fluid in an eruption of white mist... crap, we thought with Vassilis

Switching off our motors, we let everyone pass by and then re-started at a faster pace to catch up and to get some air flowing through the radiators. After what seemed like an eternity, we finally made it to the beach where the prologue would be held. Three hours spent in gear, and nothing but a nice asphalt ride to show for it. We were itching to get some racing done.

Another tedious wait until it was announced that we would start in groups of 15

The prologue format was 15 bikes starting together facing the sea, then in 15 meters was a right hand turn, and after that gunning it down the beach WFO for a couple of kilometers until a final sharp right hand turn onto a dirt road where the timekeeping sensors were. A stupid way to determine the starting order for a navigational rally raid I thought to myself, there were quite a few KTM 990s, 950s and a gorgeous 690RR which I was certain would be spanking everyone else's butt.

The first group took off for their first run, Vassilis and Polytimi (#2 and #3 respectively) were in it, I waited my turn for the fifth group as I was #61. A disclaimer, I have never ridden sand except once about 17 years ago when I tried to practice on my then 620SC enduro bike, and I found the experience highly disagreeable as I had done it on a sand MX track as enduro practice... All I remembered was to never get off the gas and keep the front wheel as light as possible, with my butt hanging of the rear of the bike.

On my first run I started in first gear (a mistake, as the 15 meters heading to the first right turn were slightly downhill). As I entered to make the turn, the rider to my right and in front of me nearly went down... easing off the gas, I exited the first corner around tenth place. Upshifting to second, 3rd, 4th, 5th on the straight: I was terrified... I had forgotten to crank up the stabilizer, and the handle bars started vibrating madly. I kept repeating to myself to stay cool and on the gas no matter what, as the front felt like it would tuck the moment the rear would not be pushing. One of the front runners almost high-sided off to the left, I have no idea how he saved it. I allowed a brief thought of how much it hurt to fall in sand at speed, I was probably doing 100-120km/h in fifth or sixth by then, the handle bar kept vibrating and my arms were starting to pump up. I scolded myself on my noob death grip mistake...

I finally got to the second right hand turn, and executed the perfect retard wheelie going up into the finish, as I was not ready for the transition from sand to dirt. The rear wheel hooked up, my feet slid off the pegs and I wheelied past the finish hanging off the handle bar ... no style points unfortunately. I probably finished around 10th in my group

The first right hand turn

What style, what grace

Polytimi also struggling on her first run

As I made my way back to the start of the prologue for my second run, Nikos came over (he would be starting in a bit as #99) and gave me some helpful pointers "Start in second gear and crank up your stabilizer"... he should know, later on he showed us his ICO, it read 172km/h on the beach. Yikes!

Taking his points into consideration, my second run was indeed much better. Starting in second gear meant that I didn't get squeezed in the first turn, and the extra stability gave me much more confidence down the straight. The result, I estimated was either 4th or 5th in my group the second time round. Once more, no style points at the finish, I executed the perfect noob wheelie again as the rear hooked up unexpectedly once more. As I didn't crash, the day was OK by me...

Caught up with my pals and Glenn, unfortunately Vassilis was AWOL, Polytimi told me that he had gone over some rocks towards the finish, and by the sheer force of his weight slamming on the pegs, he managed to break his shift lever, leaving half the bolt still in the spline. Shit.

We made our way back to the bivvy on our own with Nikos and Polytimi, the sun had started shining by now and it was getting too hot to be hanging around with no shade.

Back at the harbor, we found Vasilis, livid, overlooking the attempts to fix his bike by some local mechanics with a look of sheer terror on his face .. "Stupid sorry ass excuse for a prologue is going to cost me my race, all for a damn photo opportunity". He may have said a bit more, I won't attempt to translate from Greek.

Vassilis in the background, white as a sheet while mechanics work on fixing his shift lever

The local KTM dealer, Michalis called over two of his mechanics from his dealership, and after a while they managed to helicoil the old screw and bolt on a new lever. "Remember Vassili, don't ever use the shifter as a peg again, and go on a damn diet" were Michalis' comforting words as he and his mechanics took off, mission accomplished. Vassilis breathed a sigh of relief...

After an hour spent of ridding the bikes of sand that was stuck to pivot and axle grease on the bikes, plus checking our TouraTech roadbooks for any muck (they are notorious for jamming on even one tiny grain of sand), we headed up to grab the next day's roadbook and for the evening's briefing.

My first impression as I was marking my roadbook was neutral, although the diagrams were nice, thick, easy to read lines, the distance font was the quirky compressed one all Greek organizers use instead of the mandatory Arial bold (yeah ok I'm a graphic designer, I dwell on crap like that). I noticed that the third column was devoid of any attention markings though, which I found odd. Oh, and that the ink on the roadbooks would gunk up the highlighter, and instead of a nice fluo green you ended up highlighting in a brownish pea green abomination of a colour. Taking care to mark alongside the route and not on the lines made it a laborious task, but was the only solution. Rally Raiding: adapt or die I suppose...

A sample of the roadbook. Someone obviously forgot what the third column is for

The briefing was a bit lengthy for my taste and people were getting restless. After the english notes, two secretaries translated first into Italian, then German for other competitors. The Italian language finished, Italians started cracking jokes, the Germans got a bit frustrated, insert joke here. Me and my Greek pals obviously took the opportunity to get worked up as to why there was no Greek language at a Greek race, and after having a word with the organizer it was decided, in the interest of keeping evening briefings short, for each group of non-english speaking competitors to take off into their own corner with their designated translator. By the time it was all over, I looked at my watch and it was 11:30. Yawn.

Exiting the room, we all checked to see our times set in the prologue. Nikos on his 990 was 22nd, and would be starting the next day at 7:21, I was 25th with a start time of 3 minutes later. Further down, Vassilis would be starting 38th, and Polytimi in 79th.

Our reason for dwelling on the starting times was that bikes and quads would be mixed up in tomorrow's starting order, and we wanted to check how many retard chariots we would have to somehow get by on the narrow dirt roads. From experience, we knew that it was no fun to get caught up behind a quad, it bordered on dangerous as they rarely hear you coming up behind them. Add in the fact that the way they drift the rear around corners usually takes up most of the road, it becomes a real PITA to get past them and out of their dust cloud.

Returning to the bivvy briefly to load the roadbook I got my first real taste of the madness, as everywhere people were making last minute adjustments and doing minor servicing for the big day ahead of us. I loved it. The colours, the sense of urgency, the many languages and the noise of bikes and race cars going up and down the main street, exhausts popping from over-run was bliss.

Our bivvy neighbour, Thanassis, while a mechanic changes a faulty sensor on his 650 Beemer

Back in my room I popped half a Zirtec (antihistamine pill, minor side effect: drowsiness) and grabbed my book, I must have finally dozed off around 1:30. Alarm set to 6:00 am, tomorrow was going to be the first proper rally day, and I couldn't wait...

Brodovitch screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 12:18 AM
Brodovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #100
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 1,063
Great!!
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #101
Rimlocker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Keep it coming a great write of what looks a great event
Rimlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #102
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Thanks guys, as a preview to the write-up of Day 2, here is a video of snippets covering
the first Special Test of Day 2.

It's onboard footage of the amazing crew of car #309, the Campingaz Jimny of Dimitriadis and Kalfas...

I wish I could make subtitles for the co-drivers commentary

It gives a very good idea (especially the second half) of the tracks that were covered, the sinewy nature of the terrain, and why average speeds
for Rallys in Greece are around the 50-55km/h range... we have very scarce wide-open, flat out courses, you are
constantly braking, turning, getting on the gas, and wary of ruts, stones and drop-offs...

Add to that the multitude of dirt roads leading off into every which way, it's quite challenging as far as navigation
and keeping focused on the course are concerned, as opposed to faster, more open rallies where you can afford
to navigate without using the second decimal in the roadbook

the downside is that very rarely is there any way to travel off-course, so navigation by CAP repeater is something I have
yet to encounter over here...

Brodovitch screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 04:45 AM
Brodovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #103
Evia Rally OP
n00b

Check our video previews of the race
http://www.youtube.com/user/eviarr?feature=mhee
Race video coming soon
Evia Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #104
Evia Rally OP
n00b

After 6 years in Evia Island, the race is moving to a new home.
Nafpaktos will be our new place.
Getting tired of hard tracks and stony terrain, we seek a place with faster tracks and softer soil.
Nafpaktos lies just 20 min away from Patras Port. with our bivouac lying by the sea, standard trademark of our race since 2008.
Well known as Lepanto, our new home is a major city, yet a picturesque place lying among the biggest Mountain tops of Central Greece.
Our team works already for 2013 edition of the race, promising to solve all hick ups and provide top quality services.
Soon the contracts with professional timekeeping and GPS tracking providers will be published.
Great and highly affordable accommodation package deals will be offered to our participants.
6 days of racing with a rest day, will be the race to be, for both amateurs and professionals.
Stay tuned.
www.hellasrally.com
Evia Rally is offline   Reply With Quote