Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #616
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,746
well yeah thats a quandary. Have to go somewhere that has a big upload pipe. I am lucky enough to have a T1 line at work.. make's CHILDS PLAY of even HD stuff. MEanwhile i dont seem to even be able to upload pics to smugmug from the DSL at my house. Its easier to send stuff over AT+T's 3G network than the stupid phone lines.
Thats not saying much

Old friend of mine form Atlanta is getting married in early june... Wish I could make it down for that@ but I'll just have to push it into the hot season
Old 05-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #617
ontic

Oddometer: 1,067
Before I forget,
Jenna, you are using both the upper and lower bmw dust seals above and below the bearings aren't you? Even if you are you might want to check if the top of your stem is making contact with the bottom of the washer on the blind nut as you torque it up. A bit of squashed soldering wire in there proved it for me. As I said, buried in a long post a while ago, without the shimming of those very thin dust seals the top of my stem was hitting the blind nut washer- after a point I was just torquing up the stem and not adding preload to the bearings- and no doubt this was the reason I originally stuffed up- there was no noticable play in the steering during this, I torqued the blind nut, it all felt good, but it wasn't, and I somehow rattled some ridges in my stem.
The tolerance is very tight- maybe 1-2mm max by my reckoning (on my bike). Has BMW varied the length of their steering heads at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
yes, please! I believe I have the longer bolt on there now but steel sounds better.
Cool, no probs, the steel does feel a hell of a lot better when torquing up, and by using the nut that comes on that swing arm pivot thing it gives the exact same bolt/nut head size as the short threaded blind nut (which also fits one of my stock bmw toolkit tools). If you also have the older aluminium long threaded nut, then you probably also have the separate alu washer that came with it and you can use that on the new steel blind nut.
I'll make a couple more up from what I've got at hand. If anyone else wants one, just let me know, otherwise it is not hard at all to make if anyone has a welder at hand and wants to try (just ask if 'instructions' are wanted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
The problem is that the optimal preload depends on what bearings you're using and more specifically the contact angles on the races and the taper of the rollers. What worked on KTM bearings is not ideal for bmw bearings. What would work best is to take the torque spec for the original GS stem, figure out what from thread diameter and pitch what compressive load that torque exerted on the races and then figure out how much torque it would take to achieve that same load with the bolt that we're now using.
Where were you a few pages back when I was pontificating at great and tiresome length about different bearings and contact angles
About the bmw torque spec- do they ever give one? That is the problem with the crown nuts, very hard to give a proper torque figure that we can use, and at least on the older stems the preload that crown nut torque exerts then changes a tad once the top nut is torqued down.
This is why I am trying to focus on setting the preload by the fall-away point and the general feel at the bars. If we can get that right, then we can hopefully agree on what blind nut torque got us there.

Unfortunately I do not think that the short threaded aluminium blind nut will safely get there.
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #618
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Here's another...

hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #619
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post
Before I forget,
Jenna, you are using both the upper and lower bmw dust seals above and below the bearings aren't you? Even if you are you might want to check if the top of your stem is making contact with the bottom of the washer on the blind nut as you torque it up.

Yeah, I'm running the dust seals. I'll check if they're making contact but they don't appear to be

I'll make a couple more up from what I've got at hand. If anyone else wants one, just let me know, otherwise it is not hard at all to make if anyone has a welder at hand and wants to try (just ask if 'instructions' are wanted).

I would love one as well!!

Where were you a few pages back when I was pontificating at great and tiresome length about different bearings and contact angles
I understood where you were coming from with this. Having the lack of big words, I couldn't defend your theory. But it makes perfect sense that the steeper the angle of the bearing, the more load you'll have to put on it to seat it in the race!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #620
ontic

This is the contact point your looking for- the gap between the thread on the blind nut and the OD of the stem
I coiled up a bit of very thin soldering wire into a perfect circle the right size (after stuffing up the first time coiling it roughly around my finger and screwing it into my stem thread)

And no probs, one more steel blind nut coming up. I wonder if I should look into getting these things chromed so they don't rust up...?
Old 05-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #621
redboots
Johnny Lung

Oddometer: 141
Quiet in here...

Have you all over-tightened your head races and fallen off the things 'cos you couldn't turn it

John
Old 05-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #622
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by redboots View Post
Have you all over-tightened your head races and fallen off the things 'cos you couldn't turn it

John
Ha ha!!! Nope, still kicking it. Mine are still good and tight, gonna test them out tomorrow on Flatlands road.....should let me know if I got it or not!
Old 06-01-2012, 02:41 AM   #623
ontic

I hope you Northerners (Sun thieves) are getting as much riding done as I am not. I am out the door before the sun rises and back home after it has set and I have to drive 4 wheels to work. Any rare day off I have pencilled in for a ride seems to end up dismally wet and cold, or something demands my time.
All I am doing is working (too much) and sleeping (not enough) at the moment it seems- but lots of work should be nothing to complain about, so I won't complain.
I am pretty sure my G/S spends it's days rubbing its tyres together contemplating how it is going to spend the proceeds of all this work

I'm booking in a ride next long weekend for the Alpine Rally but that will be on the R90

I want an update.
How are things going out there in WP50 land?
Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #624
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Quote:

I want an update.
How are things going out there in WP50 land?

This is a good test ground for my steering bearings....Flatland rd in Suches GA. Very rocky, rooted, hilly, and hell....a lot of damn fun! This is the road that ate 2 head pipes! My bearings are finally tight!!!! They didn't loosen up at all this time. Now all I want to do is look for difficult terrain to take the bike through. This by far, is the best investment I've made in the bike!

Enjoy, I did.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #625
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,148
Definitely gets rougher towards the end there.

Chuckled when you hit that wall of water going thru the stream.

The forks look to be doing there job well - you weren't hanging around or balking at the snottier bit.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #626
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,746
Awesome Jenna! Very impressive. Youre going to do well.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #627
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Wow, thanks guys!!! That makes me feel really good!! I just love roads like that, problem is when the going gets tough, I can't stop laughing! I have crashed many times from my eyes tearing up and having no vision....
Old 06-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #628
ontic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
This is a good test ground for my steering bearings....Flatland rd in Suches GA. Very rocky, rooted, hilly, and hell....a lot of damn fun! This is the road that ate 2 head pipes! My bearings are finally tight!!!! They didn't loosen up at all this time. Now all I want to do is look for difficult terrain to take the bike through. This by far, is the best investment I've made in the bike!
Great to hear, and that ride looks like awesome fun. Thanks for posting it.
Glad to hear the bearing preload is staying where it should- do you remember what torque got you there?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #629
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Quote:
Great to hear, and that ride looks like awesome fun. Thanks for posting it.
Glad to hear the bearing preload is staying where it should- do you remember what torque got you there?
ahhh.... I believe it was 40ft/lb or 45? I know i went up and then backed off....but not less than 40.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #630
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,681
Minor worthless update:
  • Changed the fork oil our from the 10/15wt to 7.5 on both sides
  • No miles yet
  • Still need to change the steering stops from the allen bolts to studs to gain some steering lock back
  • Also need to do something about the main wiring bundle as I don't like how it is routed between the fender and triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote