Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #16
semaja2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonescratchin View Post
let me guess - no washouts or big logs on this track
Haha well i will be going slow on the rough stuff ;) but hopefully it won't be too technical the route otherwise I best get a flying doctors radio lol
semaja2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #17
marlboroughlad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by semaja2 View Post
I will upload a updated gpx file later today with the new route, however I look forward to hearing bout your trip and if you can get a heap of pictures of the roads so I can get a idea of what im in for :p

I think a SPOT is a must as it will send the GPS coordinates and when coupled with a UHF/SAT it is a great over all solution, I got my spot for $92 shipped from the US let me know if you need one and I'll pm you the details

My 2/3 pulley system was done by my dad, cost $200+ but it's all marine grade so won't rust etc and it's rated for almost a ton of weight (might need to lift it up a cliff...)

The scout store in Adelaide has the standard goon type bags but they go inside a fabric case to protect them, they cost about 20-50$ and sizes about 3-6-10 litres
Thanks, but for the Spot/UHF I'd prefer to deal within Australia in case of f. ups. I'm a bit old school that way. No worries about the photo thing, I'm sure I'll take plenty.

marlboroughlad screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 04:20 PM
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #18
Gateshutter
Exiled

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Alright alright so I have my big BMW R1200GSA 2008, got her back in early December 2011 and been preparing her and taming the beast ever since. However the time has come to stop with the little trips and go for a epic ride! (Note: Epic for me that is) currently I am looking at the last 2 weeks of July 2012 or around that period

I figure the best way to determine if I can make the bigger trips is to plan a trip around the Central Australia however I have NO idea what I'm getting my self in besides plotting a course through roads/tracks Garmin Basecamp wont even show until zoomed in 100%!!!

So with that I would love to get some input from everyone on the route I've plotted so far (I've plotted upto Mount Isa) I have 14 days to complete the trip and hopefully fit in some rest and sight seeing in that ;) if anyone is willing to have a looksies attached is a link to the GPX file which should be able to open in most GPS software

http://files.semaja2.net/Central%20Australia.GPX.zip

My experience off road is still tame and I don't want to risk going down too many 4WD tracks when I am so far away from support! I will be carrying a Spot 2 and possibly a rented/borrowed sat phone/uhf radio just incase something happens... My parents will be following me on the Spot 2 iiand if I dont check in 3 times a day will try to contact me and failing so contact the local authorities if no check in for 24 hours or is this simply over kill?

If there is any other inmates on the intended route or located near the route wanting to join, up for a visit or simply just happy to offer assistance incase something happens, please let me know as I am planning this trip on my own but secretly hoping I will get some company on the trip :)

Now onto the equipment... I currently have;
  • BMW R1200 GSA 2008 - Fog Lights / Onboard Computer / ESA / ABS / ASC
  • BMW Navigator III
  • BMW Side Panniers
  • Micro Tyre Repair Kit
  • Potentiometer Guard
  • Oil Guard
  • Master Cylinder Guard
  • AdvDesign Engine Guard Extensions (Cant be too careful!)
  • Basic First Aid Kit (What should be in this!!!)
  • Survival Knife
  • Arai XD-3
  • HEMA Central Australia Map
  • Head Light Guard (Lexon Glass)
  • Rox Handle Bar Risers
  • GS911
  • RST Pro Series Adventure Jacket 1222
  • RST Pro Series Adventure Jean 1232
  • Alpine Stars Tech 3
  • BMW GS Small Tank Bag
  • Complete Toolkit for the R1200GSA
  • Heidenau K60 Scouts Rear Tyre
  • TKC80's Front Tyre

I plan on purchasing the following before I leave;
  • ContourRoam (Got to film the ride!)
  • Tyre Change Kit
  • AltRider Skid Guard
  • AltRider Side Stand Foot
  • Need some sort of water bag to carry 10L or so of water?
  • 2x 5L Fuel Cells (Strapped to front of panniers)

Is there anything I have missed or is simply overkill in my equipment list?

Now I am sure I have a million more questions, but really got to start somewhere and well here it is! I will defiantly be updating this thread with progress and eventually write up the ride report once ive done the damn thing and hopefully not killed my self doing it!!
GLOVES ? You forgot gloves
Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #19
semaja2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateshutter View Post
GLOVES ? You forgot gloves
haha to be honest after having heated hand grips/bark busters etc I kinda forget about gloves now days I will be taking my Five Gloves

Old 05-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #20
Gateshutter
Exiled

Oddometer: 2,722
Actually there will be a few riders heading your way or you might bump into them, theres a charity ride on from Byron bay to west oz, via some of the way your going, its called "The Great Ausralian Ride" Im thinking about doing a stage or part of a stage depending on the weather and if I have the time ..
Old 05-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #21
semaja2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateshutter View Post
Actually there will be a few riders heading your way or you might bump into them, theres a charity ride on from Byron bay to west oz, via some of the way your going, its called "The Great Ausralian Ride" Im thinking about doing a stage or part of a stage depending on the weather and if I have the time ..
Sounds good might have to organise to meet up with them somewhere, however as for my trip I may be cancelling 2/3 of the trip depending how I am feeling with my riding skills and how my body is holding up from all the crashes :P

Hopefully I will make the whole trip but if not it gives me a good 2 weeks to just ride casually up to uluru :)
Old 06-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #22
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Adelaide to the Red Centre/Mt Isa/Broken Hill

Safe travels, Andrew!

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #23
crowe2815
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
I don't live far from the Oodnadatta track mate, it is a decent road and i can get along it at 100k + in my 4x4. Dependant on work requirements (which i never know about until the week before) i may be able to come out and ride with you for a couple of days from Coward springs. Another option for camping along there other than Coward Springs is the campground at William Creek hotel. You can get beer and sit around a fire. Coward springs also gets pretty full in grey nomad season.
Dont forget your warm gear, it is bloody freezing up here at the moment.
crowe2815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #24
semaja2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe2815 View Post
I don't live far from the Oodnadatta track mate, it is a decent road and i can get along it at 100k + in my 4x4. Dependant on work requirements (which i never know about until the week before) i may be able to come out and ride with you for a couple of days from Coward springs. Another option for camping along there other than Coward Springs is the campground at William Creek hotel. You can get beer and sit around a fire. Coward springs also gets pretty full in grey nomad season.
Dont forget your warm gear, it is bloody freezing up here at the moment.
Thanks for the insight let me know how the conditions of the road are going, I dont mind freezing cold but I dont want wet or windy conditions or extremly dry :P but I'm not picky am I

I will have my Spot messenger on me so you can track my progress and if I've setup camp at Coward springs feel free to pop by! :) however if I can get some mobile reception I will give you a call anyway.

Also any chance you could put your hand up for a emergency/mechanical contact when in that area since its my first time on such a trip and my mate will be on a almost dead KLR :P
Old 06-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
crowe2815
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Thanks for the insight let me know how the conditions of the road are going, I dont mind freezing cold but I dont want wet or windy conditions or extremly dry :P but I'm not picky am I

I will have my Spot messenger on me so you can track my progress and if I've setup camp at Coward springs feel free to pop by! :) however if I can get some mobile reception I will give you a call anyway.

Also any chance you could put your hand up for a emergency/mechanical contact when in that area since its my first time on such a trip and my mate will be on a almost dead KLR :P

Yeah mate no worries about help when in this part of the world. i've subscribed to this thread now and will give you contact details etc when the time gets closer to your departure date.
crowe2815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #26
semaja2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe2815 View Post
Yeah mate no worries about help when in this part of the world. i've subscribed to this thread now and will give you contact details etc when the time gets closer to your departure date.
Thanks hopefully I can find some other inmates further along the track as well :)
Old 06-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #27
27rich
roughing it :)

Oddometer: 350
hello, a couple of mates and myself are heading up to the innamincka via the flinders and arkaroola tomorrow so i can let you know about the road conditions.

it sounds like a great trip you have planned.

Rich
1989 XTZ 750 super tenere SOLD
27rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #28
semaja2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

At this stage this trip may be put on hold due to what I regard as expensive and timely repairs to my bike :( however hopefully it will be resolve and put back on track but sure aint having a good run of luck at the moment...
Old 06-13-2012, 02:35 AM   #29
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Adelaide to the Red Centre/Mt Isa/Broken Hill

Quote:
At this stage this trip may be put on hold due to what I regard as expensive and timely repairs to my bike :( however hopefully it will be resolve and put back on track but sure aint having a good run of luck at the moment...
Wow, Andrew, I sure hate to learn this! I was really hoping this was the first post of your trip. Keep us advised of your progress!

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:22 AM   #30
Ysterperd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Thumb One thing that helped me

Hi, I am not a big poster, but on sand the steering damper made the bike rideable. For me anyway. I need to take mine off, and sent it for a service. I do not post alot, but this thing works. I have no connections with this lot.
http://www.rallemoto.com/contents/en-us/d23.html
Cheers
Ysterperd is offline   Reply With Quote