Thats just as awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrenDesb View Post
And I thought my way was cool.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #5672
rocketcritter
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Changed out the stock orange crash bars on my new '12 for black ones.
Somebody got a good deal on brand new orange bars on eBay because I'm a fruity jackwagon...
Old 05-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #5673
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
It looks like metal on metal, (your crash bar to frame). What happened to the plastic edgeing that was on the crash bar clamps? My original stuff wore out, so I replaced it with automotive door opening edgeing. It provideds a tighter grip so the crash bars don't move when they take a hit, and don't scratch up the frame. I checked out my tanks after seeing your (and the previous) posts. So far no issues, and I have dropped my bike repeatedly.
I've placed a automotive coolant hose about 35mm dia split in one place and it provides perfect grip and protection...no contacts with the tanks even close
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #5674
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrenDesb View Post
And I thought my way was cool.

well...maybe not so brutal, but
Old 05-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #5675
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietus View Post
is there a link for the peg's page? All i can find in their site is panniers, racks and their accessories..

Thanx in advance :) :)
+1
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #5676
roastbeef82
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post

This was the first time this rally was held, I guess that's why you've never heard about it:)

BTW We were somewhat going in a team with my friend on the other 950 (he finished 8th, a couple points behind me), and both bikes were working perfectly during the event (and on the 200km for me & 300km for my friend highway ride home).
I may like to do that rally one day, what tyres do you run? I have the dunlop 908 rear and mich desert front.
Is there a website for the rally ?
Cheers
Phil
Old 05-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #5677
Tangai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Lifting the front end

Getting the air out.
“Here’s how I did mind (2007 990 Adventure) without all the trouble, after flushing the entire coolant system on two different occasions.

Remove the bleeder screw on top of the left radiator, fill the right radiator until coolant flows out of the bleeder on the left, and install the cap and the bleeder screw. Reach down and squeeze the rubber coolant hoes (right side of the bike) a few times. Start the bike and run it a few seconds. Then refill the right radiator (You may have to remove the left side bleeder screw again) and run it, with the cap and bleeder screw in place, until two or three bars show. If the bars don’t read pretty quick, shut it off and fill the radiator again. When two of three bars do show, shut it off and fill it again. To make sure it's full and has no air in the system, take it for a short ride and check the coolant level in the right radiation again and fill if needed. If you have to fill it, you might have to remove the air bleed screw on the left radiator again. That’s all it took, no lifting the bike, the radiator is full with no air 20,000 miles later.”

I wrote the above a couple of years ago. I have since done the same on the 950 I have now and a friend’s 990, everything worked the same. From my experience, you DO NOT have to lift up the front of the bike. What makes you guys think you have to lift the front of the bike up so high to get the air out of the radiators? Just asking where that idea came from.
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #5678
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangai View Post
Getting the air out.
What makes you guys think you have to lift the front of the bike up so high to get the air out of the radiators? Just asking where that idea came from.
They MUST all own Arctit Cat race sleds. THey ALL need to be burped like that.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #5679
CharlieFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Tangai asks "What makes you guys think you have to lift the front of the bike up so high to get the air out of the radiators? Just asking where that idea came"

The owners manual (at least on my 2008) instructs to lift the tire 50cm to bleed the system.
CharlieFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #5680
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,374
I raise mine as high as the tailgate on my truck using the ramp. Simple and works great.

Sent from outer space with my Thunderbolt
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #5681
Tangai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieFox View Post
Tangai asks "What makes you guys think you have to lift the front of the bike up so high to get the air out of the radiators? Just asking where that idea came"

The owners manual (at least on my 2008) instructs to lift the tire 50cm to bleed the system.
Oh, that explains a lot. Honda must have written their owner’s manual. They make it simple you know. Simple is another word for stupid!
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #5682
Hochtouren
Improve until broken

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketcritter View Post
Changed out the stock orange crash bars on my new '12 for black ones.
Somebody got a good deal on brand new orange bars on eBay because I'm a fruity jackwagon...
Me too - adding Zega Pro's and racks and pulling the creamsicle crash bars - replacing with the stainless Touratech units tonight. WTF is with the allen head bolt/nut combos? Once you put them together, attempting to undo means you have to twist the bolt off to get them apart. They are nylock nuts, but TT must put some nuclear alien juice on them to serve as a Loctite type substance. What if you have to disassemble out in the weeds somewhere? The same thing happened with the nut/bolt combo on the cross brace at the rear of the pannier racks. Put TT on my 690 and never encountered it before with any of their stuff.
Hochtouren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #5683
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangai View Post
Oh, that explains a lot. Honda must have written their owner’s manual. They make it simple you know. Simple is another word for stupid!
same procefure for all liquid cooled twins, to make sure you purge the air trapped in the rear cilynder cooling jacket, as the coolant outlet is below the head gasket. Therefore there is a pocket created and the only way to get theair out is to make sure this pocket is shifted towards the coolant outlet pipe! ant to do this you have to lift the front high enough to make sure air eskapes from pocket..

Well it is arguable if you do it without lifting and then do a hill climb or willie to let the air eskape and then refill the rads, but I play safe to make sure I dont overheat locally at head gasket before air will escape on it's own
Old 05-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #5684
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
With the bike on the centre stand, tilt the bike over to the left with the rear wheel on the floor. Get it to the balance point (rear wheel and left side of stand on floor) and air will keep glugging out the radiator filler. Keep topping up and lifting until it glugs no more :)

Or take the rear wheel out and press the rear end down...
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #5685
tomdubz
getting there

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post

Or take the rear wheel out and press the rear end down...
This.