Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #331
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
I can appreciate the looks of lots of different bikes, but I really dont want to own anything that I cant stand up on. I just like the footpegs under me, so most feet forward cruisers are out.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
I am much more interested in cornering than in how fast a bike can go in a straight line, so the mid foot position and wide bars just feel like they offer the best control.

Mid controls are feet forward (like sitting on a chair... Top of leg horizontal 90 degree bend at the knee)

I think you mean "Standard" foot position ("foot pegs under me") and I completely agree.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #332
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
HD sales UP 25%
Proving P.T. Barnum right yet again.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #333
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Proving P.T. Barnum right yet again.
“There's a sucker born every minute.”
P.T. Barnum

I assume you were referring to the above...

Like you I do not understand the popularity of feet forward cruiser bikes. I would not go so far as to call them "sucker".

I do think a whole new World of riding would be opened up to them if they rode a bike with the foot pegs under their ass where they belong. An XR1200X would do nicely.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #334
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
You see... You are just looking at it all wrong. That is not a rolling cluster f@#k ... It is a rolling slalom course there for the amusement of riders.
Riding THROUGH them I have no problem with, and have done so. I was thinking more of riding WITH them. Ewwwwwwwwww.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #335
DanielBarton
One of everything...

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
I always said the same thing... until they started making them without chrome, I like the way this looks.

Sorry dude, but that f'ing thing looks cartoonish at best....but I do like the no chrome aspect
2012 BMW R1200R Classic
DanielBarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:09 AM   #336
DanielBarton
One of everything...

Oddometer: 26
Eh?

No monster/land yacht/Barca-lounger cruisers

Moto Guzzi: no dealer nearby with an actual inventory to look at and rumored horrible factory assistance

HD: I've ridden a couple of models, didn't like how they rode at all; encountered a number of HD riders who were total douchebags with the catch phrase: "So, when you gonna get a REAL bike?" Oh, really since when is owning one of those overpriced, overweight things a real bike? Nice try-go back to shining that chromed-out turd...not too mention those HD dealers where some of the employees-not all-act like arrogant asshats when you're not riding an HD and you're just looking around.

I've owned two Hondas, one Triumph and now my current ride is a BMW and they've been a lot of fun with no issues. I ride because I want to ride for the sheer fun, experience and adventure of it, not to get together with a pack and ride around in a 100 mile loop, staring at my reflection when possible...but those that DO like to do it-more power to you.
2012 BMW R1200R Classic
DanielBarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #337
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Owned an Aprilia Futura for about 5 years - not a bad bike but dealer support was non-existant -"factory certified tech" couldn't figure out the service codes, etc.

I do much of my own service, which was a good thing - looking back over my receipts that was by far the most expensive bike to own I've ever had.

I like the look of the new V-twins from them, but I'll NEVER buy one again. - and, as above - the dealer was also the big Harley shop here, so you had to pick through a bunch of slow-moving super-loud chrome-laden pirates to get in or out of the place.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #338
KradmelderSA
Banned

Oddometer: 846
My riding consists of commuting, work travel (250-600 km per day), long distance adventure solo travel of half gravel half tar for a week, day trips of 500+ km of predominantly gravel. I ride 40 000 km per year. Essentially, I ride everyday, everywhere, all weather, and only use a cage to transport stuff or when I must take both kids at same time somewhere.

Any superbike simply because smooth unpotholed roads are rare here, so where you can go with them is limited. Also, I prefer to ride gravel or do long distances of 500-1000 km per day. Speed alone doesnt do it for me. I must also take equipment or luggage with me often, and superbikes just dont have that capability. Any idiot can twist the throttle on good tar roads.

Any cruiser for the some for the same reasons above except distance (bad roads, gravel).

Any bike where I cant stand on the pegs to go over rocks, potholes, bumps, corrugation etc, and which doesnt have the ground clearance for that anyway. I want to ride bike, not sit on my arse all day.

Any bike where I cant turn off gadgets like ABS for loose surfaces

Any bike that cant take knobblies

Any bike heavier than 220 kg which becomes work instead of enjoyment to battle thru sand and mud. I have a bike licence, not a Master's licence to pilot a freighter or super tanker.

Any bike with a poor power to weight ratio which doesnt give you that grin while everything recedes in the rearview mirror and feels like a road worthy wheel chair.

Any bike which cant easily reach 160 kmh so i can quickly get to the end of damned tar. I would go faster if I didnt have knobblies.

Any bike that is uncomfortable to ride 6 hours and up at a stretch. I want to go for a ride, not a 1 hour lark to go have breakfast with the local club.

That essentially leaves only DS bikes of 650+, and probably not most thumpers due to their low speed and discomfort over long distances.

I could see having a small enduro type just for buggering around on gravel day trips, but it doesnt suit most of my other riding. For the bad technical bits rather compromise and take it easy with a bigger DS bike.

KradmelderSA screwed with this post 05-16-2012 at 05:44 AM
KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #339
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
The only bike I absolutely would not own would be one that is butt-ugly. That's about it.

Motorcycles to me are all about stirring the soul, elevating the pulse rate, and if looking at a certain bike inspires revulsion, then it has absolutely no place in my garage or my life.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote