User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
Scooterchick OP
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
Bluhduh Saga 250cc- Keeps Stalling!

Does anyone own a Saga 250cc? Are you having problems with starts and stalls? I am! I have only had the bike for a month. I'm new to this forum and trying to find my way around on here. Anyway, we are taking the bike back to the mechanic AGAIN today to get it adjusted. It is still in the breakin period with only 279 k's on it, but has consistantly stalled on me; even in traffic. Yesterday, it cut off on me while I was rolling down the highway!

Any ideas what this might be?? The bike is still under warranty, but the idea of it cutting off on me again in traffic is a bit unnerving....

Scooterchick
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Well, an engine requires fuel, air, and spark. Any one of these components are missing, your engine will not run.

Is it stalling during a specific circumstance, such as increasing throttle, at idle, while braking?
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Scooterchick OP
And then what?

Cry

It seems to be doing it mostly when I am "decreasing" throttle. It has had a few problems starting a few weeks ago, but it was still cold here at that time. We took it back and the guy did something with a "choke" thingee or something. It is a 2010, but had been sitting in the shop. Only had 19k's on it. So, my husband and I thought it might have had bad gas from sitting.

I really like the bike, as I think I am finally getting used to it. But this cutting off on me when I am slowing down approaching curves or 20 feet from a stop is not cool....It's very unerving to me as a new rider of a bike so large.

Scooterchick
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,740
Run down to Wal mart or local auto parts store and get some Sea Foam fuel additive. Add some to your gas and then put some miles on your scooter. If it's bad gas or a clogged jet in your carb this "might" clear it up.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
Scooterchick OP
And then what?

Cry

My hubby tells me there is no SeaFoam in Canada, but we are using Chevron 91 Octane with techrone which should clean out whatever you guys are talking about. Also, he bought some "Gummout Regane" which I think is something STP gas treatment. We didn't get a chance to put it in yet as the bike is at the shop right now.

but I think we will once it comes out. I just hope I don't have to get my money back. I really like it and was starting to get used to it......

Scooterchick
Old 05-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,687
You could ask for a fuel filter change. The choke is maybe one of those electronic style, which can be tested (or simply replaced). Also I have read about tank venting issues.

I have a Kymco and if I don't run it once a month or so the carb gets all fouled and I have to clean it all out. It's got tiny pilot passages.

Interesting about that scootdawg thread where one owner said the jet needle would unseat from the slide and hang up causing stalls. Could be I suppose.
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Scooterchick OP
And then what?

I just might do that if it happens again. I really want to keep this bike, but right now it just doesn't seem road worthy enough to me.

In regard to the person on the Scootdawg forum, I wouldn't know that needle thing from the space needle in Washington...hahaha, but that is worth looking into as well.....:-).

Thanks a bunch!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Scooterchick OP
And then what?

by the way, I traded my Kymco for this bigger scooter as the Kymco dealer tried to galge me on the price for a trade in. But I might get a full refund, my old bike back which only had 1028 k's on it and pay the difference. The problem is, I want a 250. I feel anything larger is too big for me. Kymco has stopped making 250cc or at least importing them to Canada this year. I don't think a 200 can get me on the highway and keep up with 90k traffic or 100k traffic in other places......
Old 05-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
bvardi
Probably not Deciduous

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchick View Post
by the way, I traded my Kymco for this bigger scooter as the Kymco dealer tried to galge me on the price for a trade in. But I might get a full refund, my old bike back which only had 1028 k's on it and pay the difference. The problem is, I want a 250. I feel anything larger is too big for me. Kymco has stopped making 250cc or at least importing them to Canada this year. I don't think a 200 can get me on the highway and keep up with 90k traffic or 100k traffic in other places......
I did a review on a Kymco Frost 200i - pretty zippy little thing, and I did take it out on the higway no problem. (It didn't accelerate quite as well as my Kymco Bet and Win 250, but it still got up to some pretty decent speeds and the acceleration wasn't bad by any means) I've also heard the new People GT 200i is pretty good - both these models being fuel injected and fairly lightweight.

I'd see if you could get on a test ride for one of the fuel injected ones, might surprise you for capability. (but in the end, you have to judge based on local roads, your comfort zone, etc)
bvardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Scooterchick OP
And then what?

yes, I initially wanted to buy the Frost, but the dealer would not part with it. It was the only one in the showroom and he said he used it himself.......sheesh. Then I asked about the Bet And Win. Well, it was not in Canada at the time. He got ONE in and the guy who purchased it, rode it for a week or so, put over 3,000k's on it and wanted to sell it for 4,000 dollars. Which I thought was a joke!

My choice though would have been the Frost. I don't care for the style of the Bet and Win and Kymco has disconntinued them in Canada anyway for whatever reason. The Downtown is too big and bulky for me. So, that's out too.

I might check back into the Frost or at least see if he will order me one.....I never had problems with my Vitality. Had to change the spark plug once. But other than that, it was a good running machine. I just wanted to be able to go further than around town with my husband.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:38 AM   #11
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
if its only a new scoot with only 280k;s on it i cant see it being a dirty carb or filter tbh
Old 05-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #12
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
if its only a new scoot with only 280k;s on it i cant see it being a dirty carb or filter tbh
My brand new Kymco carb was filled with some kind of Chinese jelly I had to clean out. Something to do with the gas they use to test. I'm sure that there is some dealer prep necessary because of the rather poor QA.
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
Scooterchick OP
And then what?

I can't either. I bought it with 19k's on it. It is a 2010 model, but nothing has changed in styling or build according to the dealer/mechanic guy. We are supposed to get it today. i plan to take it out for a long run 30-50 miles or so and see if it runs alright.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
simmersonwheels
Asleep at Switch

Oddometer: 114
Have the carb cleaned

Trust me, a 2010 that's been sitting around likely needs the carb cleaned.
Only take it to someone with an ultrasonic cleaner, and have them confirm jet sizes, float height and that all the passages are clear.
On a scooter, with todays ethanol fuel, your carb can plug in a couple of months.
Start with a fresh spark plug.
I see these issues all the time.
Good luck,
Simon
PS, ride a Yamaha Tmax and you'll never want anything else
simmersonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
Scooterchick OP
And then what?

Update on saga 250 repairs

ok, So....me and hubby picked the bike up a couple of hours ago. It seemed to be doing a LOT better. It rode smoother and the "sputtering like it was about to die sound" ( an uasually did) seems to be gone. He (the dealer mechanic guy) said that he had to adjust the valves. The intake valve (whatever that is) wasn't closing all the way. It was getting stuck in the open position.

He was offended that I told him either he sucked as a mechanic or he sold me some junk.....ha. I said,.....Well, I said either /or! I didn't say it was definately him. He said it definately wasn't him and that it comes from the manufacturer that way. I don't understand that if you know that it comes to you that way, why these adjustments were not made BEFORE you try to sell it to someone.....(smh). . Just a thinking out loud.

Then he went on to tell me about his 40,000 dollar car that he had to keep taking back to the shop. I told him "that's your choice"....When I buy a car or scooter, I prefer to have something road worthy and not make all of the trips back to the mechanic. Especially if I didn't buy it used! sheesh....

Anyway, all seems to be well now. The wind about pushed me off into orbit today! I will NOT be taking my maiden voyage any time today....ha

Thanks for all of the help and mechanical suggestions everyone......I really appreciate it!.

Scooterchick

Scooterchick screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 04:24 PM