ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #31
Number8teen OP
Uncompetent

Oddometer: 11,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post

Oh and I would hate to live in the city. Way to packed and cost arm/leg/ first born to live there.
Different strokes for different folks. I love walking to places and having a lot of options of places to hang out. Plus I'm allergic to most things plant related so anything remotely rural or near big parks tends set off my allergies like a mofo.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #32
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8teen View Post
Any advice on good areas for apartment renting? Thus far, I've heard good things about nob hill and mission. I'll be working in the financial district. Advice on short-term rentals... er, possibly with a dog? I'd probably just keep a bike (or two) out there, not sure what monthly parking type stuff looks like (aside from expensive compared to Milwaukee ).
Spent a couple months living in the nob hill area a few years back (at the renaissance hotel on California). Not a big fan - it's snobby, yet surrounded by shitty neighborhoods. :-) the best part is being close to Chinatown. I vote for mission or Berkeley.
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #33
DaveBro
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Hi N8,

Been enjoying your contributions in Jo Momma for some time. Look forward to meeting you when you're out here!

I'm in Petaluma, about 40 min north of SF in Sonoma Co. I could store a bike/gear for you (but no room for a trailer or car, I'm afraid). Self storage in Petaluma I think is reasonable compared to SF, if you still need to go that route.

In my opinion, the best off road riding close to the bay area is further north of me (Mendocino NF, Cow Mountain) so having your off-road stuff here would not be too inconvenient.

In any case, good luck with your move out, and let us know when you're ready for an ADV meetup!

Dave
DaveBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #34
Number8teen OP
Uncompetent

Thanks!

I'll be heading up over memorial day weekend and it will probably take me the whole weekend to get there. I have decided at this point to just take the street bike - no car, no dirt bike. It's only 3 months and I'll survive without an off-road bike.

As far as a meet up, I'm game for pretty much any time after I arrive in the city. I will be working a later shift for the most part, so finishing up at 7pm, dunno how that suits anyone else for weekdays otherwise my weekends are not spoken for yet! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone...
Old 05-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #35
DaveBro
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8teen View Post
It's only 3 months and I'll survive without an off-road bike.
Probably a good call. Summer is kind of the down-time here for off-roading anyway (hot and dusty) other than up in the Sierra Nevada mountains. And if you're super jonesing for some dirt, there's any number of us who can put you on a bike. Tons of great road riding all over the bay area - you'll love it!

Have a great trip out. We'll set something up for the week you arrive. Dunno where people meet now that the Ace is closed. I'm sure the locals will pipe up!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #36
ThirdBestFriend
Explorer

Oddometer: 119
You won't miss your dirt bike to much in the Bay area as decent dirt is 3+ hours away mostly. But there are lots of twisties just a few minutes ride away.

Definitely don't live in Nob Hill, it is mostly old money people living in high rises that have not been redecorated since 1964. Try the Mission, you'll have good luck there if you want to stay in the city. And you can take BART into the financial district no problem. Rents are going up in Berkeley, and you may be able to find something, but go 1 town north to El Cerrito (Albany even better) and you can get much cheaper housing in generally quiet, blue collar neighborhoods. Your BART trip will be a bit long to the city, but you should be able to hit your trifecta no problem. Finally, there is Marin. If it were me, I'd ride my moto to the Larkspur ferry for easy parking and take the boat into work everyday, but I understand that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Finds in the Mission
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/3014422803.html

Finds in El Cerrito
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/2980857196.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/2993684132.html

Finds in Marin close to the Larkspur ferry
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/apa/3015308912.html (cheap, garage and pets OK, but no frills)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/apa/2973643767.html (trifecta)

Good luck!
ThirdBestFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #37
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,517
Yeah, I just did a logo quote for a place up on Nob hill. They're trying to convert it from long-term rentals (actually, that might be a good fit for you, hit me up on PM for a referral) to ownership units. It's a former hotel, and the units are tiny.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #38
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,319
Ok zeitgeist night for the wacky plantophobmaybe after memorial day? After 7pm works better for folks coming into the city anyway.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #39
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdBestFriend View Post
Finds in Marin close to the Larkspur ferry
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/apa/3015308912.html (cheap, garage and pets OK, but no frills)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/apa/2973643767.html (trifecta)

Good luck!
Living there will allow you to explore Marin pretty thoroughly. 13 years here and I still love riding here. The ferry will allow you to commute without a vehicle, but a bicycle will make navigating the city easier and you can take it on the boat.

Get a Clipper card and use all transit systems without having to buy monthly passes or tickets. This includes BART, Muni, Golden Gate Transit, SamTrans, you name it.

A friend of mine just scored a place in Mill Valley that has a 2 car garage and amazing views of Mt. Tam. They pay $1950, but it's a lease for a year.

When in San Francisco, you must eat. It's a food wonderland with fresh produce, wide varieties of cuisine and about a zillion places available.

Here's the JM take on where to eat in The City: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...co+restaurants

Enjoy.

You know that MotoGP is going to be in Monterey, 2 hours away, in late July, right?

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina

kbasa screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 10:26 PM
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #40
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryscot View Post
ok zeitgeist night for the wacky plantophobmaybe after memorial day? After 7pm works better for folks coming into the city anyway.
in
Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #41
DaveBro
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley View Post
in
Me, too, depending on what day (coming from north bay). Garry, I have not seen you in forever!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #42
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBro View Post
Me, too, depending on what day (coming from north bay). Garry, I have not seen you in forever!
Been too long.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #43
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,694
18!

How the fuck are ya?

Move to SF - don't even think of the yEast Bay for a short stay. Get a place on Potrero Hill, stumble to all the great bars and crawl home.

There's a really good rental garage near the SFMC - guy's really a good guy.

http://www.motohaus-sf.com/

Tell him I sent ya.

Well, maybe not.

I have allergies like a mofo - cities are best - less tree sex up your nose.

And it sounds like you've chosen to leave your dog in WI, so you should just go for broke in the city.

Yeah, it'll cost you, but what the fuck? If you go back to the Midwest, you can remember living in SF instead of visiting it.

I like the East Bay fine, but I lived in Manhattan for 13 years, so I've done the city thing.

And iyeager's right, he was standing in the rain when I saw him asking for help for days over here. I HAD to take him in - nobody else would.

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #44
Number8teen OP
Uncompetent

Hey Nixels (and everyone else too)! Sorry, I was AWOL for a bit since I was at the eastern RDV... just got home. Nothing like cramming a lot of travel into 2 weeks. I leave Friday morning for SF! I've got a place to stay at least temporarily in the Sunset district, next to some pretty sweet looking bars for my weekend fun.

Thanks for all of the info everyone, looks like I've got a lot of riding and eating to cram into 3 months. And I'm game for whatever get together you guys might wanna do!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #45
Number8teen OP
Uncompetent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
When in San Francisco, you must eat. It's a food wonderland with fresh produce, wide varieties of cuisine and about a zillion places available.
Soooo I shouldn't plan to lose my Milwaukee beer weight out there, huh?