anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Nah. Not when they're jetted right.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
My first vehicle ever was an RD400 Daytona I bought in highschool. Hated it.
If you are looking for a bike you can wrench on all week and have it run for an hour on the weekend to have fun without breaking the speed limit......go nuts.

Their only "redeeming" characteristic is being the most effortlessly wheeleying bike ever made.
Dilligaf0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #18
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Ahem....the RD350/400's were (& are) fantastic bikes. I am pretty sure it made a competent rider out of me. I even felt bad for sort of racing the proverbial Z1 where I just left him behind on any curvy road - bad because I felt responsible if he piled it up in some corner. I also don't think I ever fouled a plug, riding it normal or like a bat out of hell. I recall a full dealer tune up cost me $22-$28, and even at the time I thought it was entirely cheap! The first 150 miles after a full tune up the bike was just possessed, it was always fast, but those first 150 miles it was faster and all around more responsive. The RD350 I owned listed for less than $950. OK, caveat: if you had the timing off very much you'd hole a piston pretty fast. The guy I sold it to didn't want to hear any RD tips. It lasted a week. He never knew, or heard when I told him, you had to add injection oil. What a waste.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #19
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Oddly enough, there's a nice looking Daytona Special RD400 on eBay right now, well in Australia that is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...6eb86ed5#v4-42
Gregster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #20
coppertop
occasional meanderthal

Oddometer: 244
The problem with the Daytona Specials

I love the looks of the Daytona Specials over all the other RDs and even over the RZ350, but they only made them one year (for the U.S.) and there were a bunch of special parts for them (mostly do do with emissions control) and the supplies of those parts eventually dried up. There was a long stretch between the late 80's and now when there were certain parts (little accordion seals on the tops of the carbs, I'm looking at you...) were not to be found anywhere. It eventually drove me to pulling the stock carbs and going the 30mm mikuni route (and spec II chambers, naturally). If I had known better, I would have stuck with 28mm carbs from a D or E model, so I could use the Y boot and single K&N that can take away the mid-range lean spot common to chamber equipped RDs. Perhaps one of these days I'll win an ebay auction for a set of 28s and I'll try it out.
coppertop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #21
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
I had a 75 - rd350, 77 - rd400, 79 - rd400 daytona special and a 90 rz350 (with 63hp!). Some of the best fun I ever had was on those old 2 smokers. Seemed crazy fast at the time, but a Kawasaki ex500 has similar performance numbers. Still have a soft spot for the rd's though.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #22
skatetokil
SuperHack

Oddometer: 50
Ok so everybody wants a 2 stroke direct injection motorcycle but nobody will build one... Anybody have any ideas for how to prototype one of these puppies?

Did some back of the napkin math and a 12000rpm 250cc cylinder would need a minimum 33-35 lb/hr injector which is readily available but Yamaha claims their outboard system runs fuel at 800psi which is more of a problem. That's likely more than you could do with an electric fuel pump. Probably need a 2stage electric feeding a crank driven triplex off a small pressure washer.

The other issue is getting lube oil to the top end. Yamaha has special beveled rings that are supposed to let some oil through which is an elegant but patented solution. Any other ideas?

Also would there be any real benefit to running an expansion chamber on a di 2 stroke?
skatetokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #23
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
This is what I lusted after while everyone else my age was clamoring for GPZs and 1st gen Ninjas. Not the same, I know, but still tons of mosquito-slaying cool.

seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #24
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantx View Post
This is what I lusted after while everyone else my age was clamoring for GPZs and 1st gen Ninjas. Not the same, I know, but still tons of mosquito-slaying cool.

I still lust after them
Mobiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #25
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
I still lust after them
Me too. Getting hard to find and though I haven't checked, I'm sure sourcing anything other than engine parts would be a challenge.
seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #26
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,414
i've looked....they're out there, albeit far from the photo shown above.

what's worse is that i owned one (a perfect one) back in the late 80s early 90s.....but the red/white/navy blue version....either way, a mistake to have sold it.

rather have a 400 Daytona any day though....
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #27
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,823
I had an early 350 that would foul one plug and eventually holed a piston. Turned out a 10 cent oring modification fixed it. The original washer/o ring seal on the crank that kept the transmission oil out of the bottom end did not take into account the keyway. Yammi fixed that, I installed it on my bike, and never a fouled plug again.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #28
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Up here in Canada we got the 1980 rd400G. same as a Daytona but with different decals
Old 05-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #29
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
Why does everything have to be modern? I would like to have one just the way they were in 1979. I love 2 strokes, carbureted, air cooled 2 strokes. I have a Yamaha Vino 125 scooter. It will get you there, but it is drop dead boring. Just kind of hums along. Kind of like a dishwasher. I rode a Genuine Rattler 110, and it was very little better. Very quiet and smooth. At least it had a very faint 2 stroke sound, and if you stood behind it, you could get a faint smell of 2 stroke exhaust. Then I rode a Genuine Stella. WOW!!. It is in my garage right now. I bought it on the spot. It had a loud 2 stroke sound, it rattled and buzzed, 2 stroke smoke came out of the exhaust, it has a clunky manual 4 speed gearbox. It is not fast, though it will wheelie off the line, because all the weight is in the back. But it has all the noises, vibrations, and smells an old 2 stroke should have. Probably because it is an old 2 stroke. 40+ year old design. And it feels just like riding a 40 year old scooter.

Not a 2 stroke, but I was interested in a Royal Enfield about 10 years ago. Yes, they were poorly built, but they were still the original design. Just like the Stella, a brand new 50 year old bike. Now they have totally ruined them. About all that is left is the look. the new unit construction engine, electric starter, and worse yet fuel injection. What good is a motorcycle if you can't play with the carburetor? I have not ridden a new one, but I'm betting it's pretty bland.

I do own an '09 EX500, and while I am happy with it's power and performance, it to is lacking in most of the things a real machine should have. It is so smooth it might as well be electric. What it needs is a heavy dose of CHARACTER. And less plastic.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote