Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #1861
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurky-Loo View Post
Leasing an RCV is what, 6m euros? For a factory bike it might cost double. I don't know that Repsol has that kind of race budget after the nationalization of YPF (the 1-year return on Repsol stock is -37%).
Like I said, I'll eat my hat.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #1862
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
He's 26 and just became a father. A new life perspective comes along with new fatherhood. He'll spend some time at home for a season or 2 and then he'll un-retire. That is of course, if he has a single competitive bone in his body.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #1863
VITIXER
Mmmm, cherry pie!

Oddometer: 139
Question

Casey has a huge interest in Australian V8 Supercars.
He may be heading over to that series to race.

But absolutely shocked to hear he's leaving MotoGP!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #1864
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,489
Unbelievable. We all thought Stoner's retirement was a matter of time, and it still took everyone by surprise, especially considering he denied it last week.

I do not know whether to respect or despise him. It takes huge ball to just walk away like this, but at the same time he dedicated his life to racing, and we all know that he could easily stay competitive for years to come. I can bet he would never quit if it wasn't for his wife, kid and Simoncelli.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #1865
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,812
The Stoner Show

He said not too long ago, that if the CRT bikes came in, he would not be too long with the sport there after. It was not the type racing he is interested in. He kept his word.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #1866
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
He said not too long ago, that if the CRT bikes came in, he would not be too long with the sport there after. It was not the type racing he is interested in. He kept his word.
During testing he said a series with CRT bikes wasn't a class he wanted to race in. He sure kept his word.
Now we can all guess who will ride in his spot.
dontlr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #1867
Codewheeney
Hoopy Frood

Oddometer: 2,577
Quote:
Thinking about this (and reading Swimmer's link), I'm a little disappointed in the reason for this decision. Now, I understand that if he's lost his passion, he'd be unwise to race and risk injury. However, if this (MotoGP) is the series he fell in love with and always wanted to race in, and he doesn't think it's going in the right direction, then stick around and help fix it if you really love it. Don't bail. Don't be a "This sucks, I'm leaving" kind of guy. Be a "This sucks, let's fix it" kind of guy.

JC

Plays in traffic.
Codewheeney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #1868
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Stoner has been living and breathing racing for twenty years. He's reached his goals and made some good money.

Granted, most of us don't start our careers at four or five years old. However, wouldn't you be thinking about moving to something else if you had been consumed by a career for twenty years, reached your goals, had enough money, and you were thinking the job wasn't going to enjoyable anymore?

I don't fault him for moving on. He worked very hard, took on a lot of pressure and took a lot of risks to get where he is.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #1869
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codewheeney View Post
Thinking about this (and reading Swimmer's link), I'm a little disappointed in the reason for this decision. Now, I understand that if he's lost his passion, he'd be unwise to race and risk injury. However, if this (MotoGP) is the series he fell in love with and always wanted to race in, and he doesn't think it's going in the right direction, then stick around and help fix it if you really love it. Don't bail. Don't be a "This sucks, I'm leaving" kind of guy. Be a "This sucks, let's fix it" kind of guy.

JC
if only the riders had any say in the kind of racing and equipment they were on, we would not have any of the Dorna imposed BS that is the sad( IMO) current state of the GP series.

I'll tell you what, this weekend's WSBK racing in England were pretty damn exciting. That is the kind of racing I wanna see in GP.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #1870
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
I'll tell you what, this weekend's WSBK racing in England were pretty damn exciting. That is the kind of racing I wanna see in GP.

Yup. and his statement about the CRT's fell on deaf ears. He said he would leave and he is. I want to see how the rest of the year goes with that behind him. I think he'll be even more of a demon now that he wants to go out on top.
Dansrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #1871
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
He worked very hard, took on a lot of pressure and took a lot of risks to get where he is.
And, he had to listen to years of abuse from armchair racers who couldn't get out of their own way on a racetrack. "Lactose intolerance! He's just a pussy. Rossi could win on the Duc tomorrow!"

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #1872
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codewheeney View Post

JC
Like someone said, he's got no real control over this series. Dorna + Factories = power. Riders are an asset, to be used as needed, very few actually hold any real power over the series (Vale...maybe?).

Personally I'm impressed. He could continue riding around, hating life and collecting a (rather large) paycheck. Instead he sacked up, made his feelings known, and is standing behind his word. Can't ask more from a man than that really. Do as you say.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #1873
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrc51 View Post
Yup. and his statement about the CRT's fell on deaf ears.
What was his solution to keeping the grid from shrinking further?

Oh yeah, nothing.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #1874
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,077
If you have a MotoGP subscription watch today's press conference. Especially the Q&A at the end. He is so brutally honest, it is refreshing.
Talked about the sad state of MotoGP with no money, and thanking the reporters for that by them always dogging the series and him. Talking about how guys like Depuniet should not be on second-class bikes (CRT). Maybe a future in V-8 Supercars, and the passion being gone so why go on.
Good for him going out on his terms and his way.
Roger Hayden said it best in a Twitter to Ricky Carmichael "you would know better then anyone and what's its like to go out on top. #goat@RickyCarmichael: @rogerhayden95 when Ur ready Ur ready”
Old 05-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #1875
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
And, he had to listen to years of abuse from armchair racers who couldn't get out of their own way on a racetrack. "Lactose intolerance! He's just a pussy. Rossi could win on the Duc tomorrow!"
Every racer gets criticism. The closer to the front the more intense it is. You've got to have a thick skin and a sense of humor to survive. I think Casey took a lot of it to heart. He reminds me of one of those kids that gets teased because they know it gets under his skin. His whole rant about the lack of respect he gets sounds like he just want's to be loved. Instead of complaining about it he'd be better off making jokes about it. Cow leathers would be funny. I think the guy lacks much of a sense of humor which is one reason I'm not a big fan. I do respect his ability though.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote