User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #4306
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Asked this question earlier,

I'm thinking of getting rid of the cross strut on my 7/8 Renthal bars, anybody have experience with this?
Will this sacrifice a noticeable amount of rigidity in my handlebars ?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #4307
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post

I'm thinking of getting rid of the cross strut on my 7/8 Renthal bars, anybody have experience with this?

I'd say the manufacturers put the cross bar on for a reason. I'ts not needed on the oversize 1 1/8" bar due to it's increased diameter. My kids used to bend the cheap alloy 7/8" bars on their 80's and 100cc bikes. Now that they are on big bikes they all have the big bars. No more bent bars. Actually I shouldn't say this. My son is a PROFESSIONAL crasher. I wouldn't do it.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #4308
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:

DO NOT do that

comon man? what yo wanna save a couple bucks

if you want no cross bar go fatbars

I will say this

I am no longer a fan of protaper fatbars as they seem to have moved manufacturing to china and quality has gone down...mine are bent

also a really good set of renthals on 7/8 with crossbar will probably be stronger than some cheapo fatbars

I also used tusk fatbars and they bent too...crap crap
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #4309
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

oil temp/low oil warning a success

hey dudes/maroons

so I succesfully tested out my temp stock probe on the oil dipstick with success on a long 3 hour WOT run pretty much

normal for xrs to burn some oil or EXPELL it out the breather, so Im not worried about that

I started with a mid level dipstick reading before the ride(remember it will read a bit higher once warm) and ended with the level at a 1/3 of the way up the dipstock or exactly where the TEMPERATURE dipstock ends

my goal was to succesfull get a WRONG reading using the low oil level symptom

how

run wot for over 30 minutes uphill.

The "warning" light appears when the temp drops 100 degress fahrenheit ok? that happened to me almost getting home,it went from 260f to 175f and stood there unless I wheelied and got some oil on the temp dipstick.

Needles to say the temp dipstsick was reading oil frame tank AIR temps(but you guys know that, so duh)

so

if anybody wants to do this just ADD a hole on your dipstick, DO not remove the old dipstick, just add a hole to the actual stock cap

ok?

there

no lights
no sensor

no stupid wires and complicated panels, nothing

simple simple mechanics

you're welcome

no go do it to your bike

mk?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #4310
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=elsalvadorklr;18701862]DO NOT do that

/QUOTE]

No I was thinking about doing it to 'clean up' my cockpit.

I've seen some supermoto's on the internet doing it, but those might have been fatbars
Old 05-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #4311
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=deejay_xr;18702057]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
DO NOT do that

/QUOTE]

No I was thinking about doing it to 'clean up' my cockpit.

I've seen some supermoto's on the internet doing it, but those might have been fatbars

so go fatbars

you wanna kill yourself to clean up a cockpit?

Ive seen it happen on mountainbikes at slow speed after a jump, they break...

DO NOT weaken those bars man

Old 05-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #4312
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=elsalvadorklr;18702220]
Quote:

so go fatbars

you wanna kill yourself to clean up a cockpit?

Ive seen it happen on mountainbikes at slow speed after a jump, they break...

DO NOT weaken those bars man

I'll just leave it.

Don't really feel like replacing everything that I have mounted and getting new bar mounts to accomodate a pair of fatbars
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #4313
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 875
Shock repair

Anyone find the gold valves worth it? Racetech is about 30 miles away. My shock is leaking, time for seals. My local Honda dealer will charge $90 for the cleanout, reinstall seals, service. Racetech is close in price but for 169 more get a gold valve. Have you guys found this worth it? Don't have any real complaints now but I haven't done enough high speed edges to remember if the shock is a problem.

Benefit to Honda is I can get it back in 3 days. I also don't have the factory manual, only the clymer's. Looks like air box comes out, disconnect links, out thru top?

thanks

CB
Old 05-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #4314
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
Anyone find the gold valves worth it? Racetech is about 30 miles away. My shock is leaking, time for seals. My local Honda dealer will charge $90 for the cleanout, reinstall seals, service. Racetech is close in price but for 169 more get a gold valve. Have you guys found this worth it? Don't have any real complaints now but I haven't done enough high speed edges to remember if the shock is a problem.

Benefit to Honda is I can get it back in 3 days. I also don't have the factory manual, only the clymer's. Looks like air box comes out, disconnect links, out thru top?

thanks

CB
Others may chime in with better solutions, but it's my experiance that removing the swing arm and wheel is the way to go!
I took it apart the way you were thinking but had a great deal of trouble trying to refit...the bolts exspecialy...when reassembling everything.

And in my case I know nothing but stock
What's a gold valve? with the price of gold...might be worth looking into!
If they get hot in the recycle market like catalythic coverters then theives might be after your bike to sell scrap from the shock...
Just a joke...not funny...

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #4315
boomshakalaka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
While we are on the subject of suspension... the PO had told me that he turned the dial on the rear shock reservoir all the way to soft because he was so short (ya, he wasn't the smartest...) And the rear felt pretty squishy, so I was playing around with the knob and I couldn't feel any difference, even if I turned it all the way to hard. Is it possible that my rear shock needs to be rebuilt? I noticed a little air nozzle on the reservoir, could it just need a "recharge?" Sorry if I sound like a complete noob, I am pretty lost when it comes to suspension.
boomshakalaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #4316
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshakalaka View Post
While we are on the subject of suspension... the PO had told me that he turned the dial on the rear shock reservoir all the way to soft because he was so short (ya, he wasn't the smartest...) And the rear felt pretty squishy, so I was playing around with the knob and I couldn't feel any difference, even if I turned it all the way to hard. Is it possible that my rear shock needs to be rebuilt? I noticed a little air nozzle on the reservoir, could it just need a "recharge?" Sorry if I sound like a complete noob, I am pretty lost when it comes to suspension.
It could be different, but on my 650R's shock on the bottom by the chain there's another adjuster. Don't have to remove anything, just right by the lower chain. It's probably different on the 600R, but you could check. Made mine a lot stiffer.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #4317
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshakalaka View Post
Jump on the seat. if it pogos more than 1 time, you'll probably need a rebuild. There's only two settings on this shock, compression and rebound. The preload is handled by the spring. The air nozzle is for the bladder. It's supposed to be charged to 112psi, but that won't affect the pogo-ing.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #4318
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
been a while so i thought i'd pop in and say hello

Hello
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #4319
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

hello?

is
it
me
youre looking for??????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

nice pic man! good to have you back
Old 05-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #4320
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
WTB XR600R twin carb set

Anyone here have a set of old 85-87 XR600R carbs sitting around? They don't have to be in perfect, I'd just like them to be mostly complete and in serviceable shape. Let me know.

Thanks!
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote