Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #1651
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
Th
I got it for $2,500, the only thing that worries me is it has some crappy aftermarket plastics. I'm worried I paid to much for it with it having non stock bodywork. It's got one of those Chinese body work kits on it so it doesn't fit the best.
Been crashed?
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #1652
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
I got it for $2,500, the only thing that worries me is it has some crappy aftermarket plastics. I'm worried I paid to much for it with it having non stock bodywork. It's got one of those Chinese body work kits on it so it doesn't fit the best.

One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't seem to turn in all that well but I've been riding a Ninja 250 recently and a KLR before that so I'm sure it will take some getting used to.
You can stop worrying about whether you paid too much for it or not. You did.
That won't prevent it from becoming a great ride (though maybe not a great looking ride).

The turn-in issue will probably go away with new rubber.
Some tire profiles are worse than others in combination with front spring rates and inflation pressures, especially as the tire wears.
What's on there now? Try a different brand next time.
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #1653
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
Or maybe check the head bearing torque?
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #1654
MapMaster
Human Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
Or maybe check the head bearing torque?
Good point, forgot that one

(Academic to me, I've never had excessive torque on the head bearings cause noticeable-to-the-point-of-objection influence on the turn in, but I've had tire profile/wear issues that made a night and day difference.)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #1655
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,136
Heavy bikes like the VFR have famously under-inflated tires when bought from clueless POs. Rear should be 40-42psi and the front should be 36 or so. EVen a few pounds under and mine starts to handle terribly. New tires, proper inflation and adjusting the sag with the preload adjusters solved all my turn in problems.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #1656
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,809
Well I picked up a 97' last Saturday so it's time to check in. The previous owners, including the seller who is a fellow inmate, took exceptional care of it. It only has 16K on the clock and aside from 2-3 insignificant scratches it is in mint condition with plenty of extras.

I was getting it inspected not too long ago and I mentioned to the shop owner I picked up a vfr. He looks me in the eye and says "A vfr huh? Well that was a big mistake."

After a 150 mile loop I can safely say no fucking way!

It still needs some heli-bars though
Old 05-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #1657
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
I was getting it inspected not too long ago and I mentioned to the shop owner I picked up a vfr. He looks me in the eye and says "A vfr huh? Well that was a big mistake."

He's right, you know. I'll give you $1500 for it but you have to deliver it to me.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #1658
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
Been crashed?
Yes but appears to be very minor pipe rash and engine cover every so slightly scraped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
You can stop worrying about whether you paid too much for it or not. You did.
That won't prevent it from becoming a great ride (though maybe not a great looking ride).

Some tire profiles are worse than others in combination with front spring rates and inflation pressures, especially as the tire wears.
What's on there now? Try a different brand next time.
Yeah I figured, stupid whim buy. Saw it, bought it, simple as that, although most of my purchases are like that so I guess I just need to get used to it. I'm pretty good at tweaking and painting and making stuff look pretty. Maybe not perfect but I will whip it into respectable shape. I'll paint the crap plastics and they may not fit the best but they'll be less tacky. It needs new rubber, it's got Bridgestone Battle-axes (sp?) on there now and he gave me another used set of the same to put on it but they ain't going on there. I also got a seat cowl and a spare seat so maybe I can sell the used tires, the extra seat and the cowl and make back at least a little bit. I'm thinking Mich P2's or something along those lines.

And after the first ride around the block....the sound...I don't care if had pink sparkly unicorns painted on it, I'd ride it just to be able to listen to it. My god these things sound good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Heavy bikes like the VFR have famously under-inflated tires when bought from clueless POs. Rear should be 40-42psi and the front should be 36 or so. EVen a few pounds under and mine starts to handle terribly. New tires, proper inflation and adjusting the sag with the preload adjusters solved all my turn in problems.
Good info.

Got to check and see about the RR and see if it's been swapped for an aftermarket unit and then I'll get some tires on order and blow it apart for cleaning and painting. I'll post pics when I get it done. Appreaciate all the info guys!
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #1659
dino1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Wanting to get into a VFR, selection seems to be slim in the $3,500 and under in my area. Found a 98 with 68,000 on it I can get it for mid to high 2,000's, owner seems very detial oriented, records kept etc. Would anyone be scared of this bike? He basically rode it everyday for a couple years. Is it shot or "should" it be trouble free for many miles to go? I'm trying to find something to do a couple week trip to Yellowstone etc on this summer. I'll do it on my Ninja if I have to but.....don't really want to
Dude I got a 2000 with 11,000 miles in perfect condition for $3600
The corbin saddle, carbon vance and hines, and helibars to boot.

When it comes to buying bikes I keep $ at home ready to go at a moments notice.

But you did good and your bike should last you for many miles.

From my bicycle wrenching days over tightening the head bearings makes the steering notchy. Check to see if the front is squared off.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #1660
MapMaster
Human Compass

Quote:
Yeah I figured, stupid whim buy. Saw it, bought it, simple as that, although most of my purchases are like that so I guess I just need to get used to it.
Not stupid. You've got the right view of it. A better deal could've been had, but it was worth it to you. Enjoy.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #1661
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino1 View Post
Dude I got a 2000 with 11,000 miles in perfect condition for $3600
The corbin saddle, carbon vance and hines, and helibars to boot.
I'll trade you a pos 98 and give you some boot.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #1662
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,499

Summary a 2011 VFR800Fi in Limited Edition Pearl White,

Givi Plxr166 Rapid release pannier brackets
Givi FZ166 MonoKey topbox bracket
Givi V35 Panniers, closer fittign and more aerodynamic.
Givi V46 Topbox
givi v46 top box brake light
Givi Topbox rack
Powerlet Bulkhead power socket in topbox.
Givi Touring Spoiler Screen,
Ignigtor Alarm
Pazzoish levers
Real Carbon Fibre tripple tree cover
Ram mount double of clutch bracket, with Spot Commect gps, Garmin GPS, and camera mount, Ottor Box as well
Powerlet headStem Powersocket.
Oxford Sports Heated Grips
Stain Tunes and Sandy Decat Headers
K&N High Flow Air filter
Oggy Not Cut Crash Knobs White
Power Commander 5

with the exception of suspention mods, which i didnt expect to need, i think its all done.

Storm Shadow screwed with this post 05-18-2012 at 10:02 PM
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #1663
motorcycle_guy2004
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I'll jump in on this one, after picking up a '95 VFR750 a month ago. I got it home and was thinking "Man this thing is a beast at slow speed turns." Checked the air pressure -- way low. Put the proper pressure in and WOW, what an amazing bike. Probably my favorite so far, among FJR, R1150R, VStrom and more. Sounds great and feels better.

I picked it up with 36,000 miles, Corbin seat, D&D slip-on pipe plus original, Lindemann Engineering front suspension, Givi wingrack/top rack and two side cases (I usually ride with one as a top box on my commute), "coated" exhaust, new tires (still with the nubs on them), Zero Gravity screen (plus original), new fluids everywhere. I upgraded the R/R with one from a 98 after some charging issues and added the VFRness wiring harness from Wiremybike.com, plus a new battery. I added a blue sea fuse block under the seat and will add a Signal Dynamics voltage monitor this weekend and powerlet. Fun with older bikes!
motorcycle_guy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #1664
DeedsyDragon
Moto Dragon

Oddometer: 102
Probably going to buy a '99 VFR this week. It has 39k miles on it, recently had valve check without need for any adjustments, and has been kept in near perfect condition. He is asking $3250 for it. Sound like a good deal? I am beyond excited about the bike, I hope it doesn't get sold while I wait to get the money from a friend who is buying my SVS.
DeedsyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #1665
motorcycle_guy2004
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeedsyDragon View Post
Probably going to buy a '99 VFR this week. It has 39k miles on it, recently had valve check without need for any adjustments, and has been kept in near perfect condition. He is asking $3250 for it. Sound like a good deal? I am beyond excited about the bike, I hope it doesn't get sold while I wait to get the money from a friend who is buying my SVS.
Deedsly,

I bought the '95 mentioned above for $2,800 with lots of extras in Va Beach. It was above KBB, but the extras were significant. It may be a bit on the high side, but if you like it, who cares. I'd look at the consumables (tires, last fluid changes, etc.) and see how much more you have to put into it in the next few months vs just riding it. Good luck with the purchase!
motorcycle_guy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote