Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #466
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Lisa World View Post
Why not just rub it in with some salt buddy
And, I haven't heard a rooster crowing in days, and the weirdest thing, people here stop at the stop signs. I am not quite sure how to deal with it.
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #467
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
After reading your first post im glad to see that you were able to make this happen. good on ya' man. live it up. nice to see the Buell munching miles and ADVed out. very nice .
Thanks swamp.

Ita been an awesome trip. The plan seems to change occasionally, but the awesomeness remains.....
Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #468
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 78 and 79 May 14 and 15 297 kms Robstown Tx to Corpus Christi (and area)

The outhouses in the campground were a bit of a walk from my site, so before going to bed, I wanted to check them out, just in case, so there would be no surprises if I needed the facilities. On the way back, I met this guy sitting down to dinner

On the way back, I met a guy fishing, so we chatted for quite a while about Texas, Mexico, and the world in General. He had lived around Robstown all his life, but had only been as far as Matamoros mexico to party when he was younger.

Turns out, that after 2 months in Mexcio and a month in Peru without much problems, I did need a quick trip to the outhouse at 3:00 in the morning….. and there were people out fishing. I think fishing is pretty popular here J

In the morning I loaded up and headed for Corpus Christi. My Canadian insurance had run out while I was in Mexico, so I had my wife send me new papers and decals to Corpus Christi. I had contacted inmate SaltWindandFire ahead of time to ask if I could use his address for the shipping. I was in Corpus Christi a day early for the papers, so I took a look around. I went out to Padre Island, and found a camp ground in Mustang Island State Park.

I headed out to the beach for a look around

Later on, SaltWindandFire and his better half came out for a visit…. and brought beer! There hasn’t been a lot in the budget for beer, so they tasted real good. Thanks again SaltWindandFire.

The next morning I headed into town to pick up my papers from my understanding yet somewhat frustrated wife. SaltWindandFire and his wife both had to work, so I was just going to sit around in their front yard and wait for their arrival. I swung by the Fed Ex office to see if they could intercept the papers instead of sitting in their front yard for god knows how long. No problem, she said, come back in an hour for your papers. Sweet! I did some shopping, picked up my papers, no problem.

I headed back to camp to make some lunch, and the seagulls could smell it cooking, and came over to visit.
This one guy showed up, and I felt kind of sorry for the little fella, cause he had only one foot, and I figured it must be hard for him finding food and competing with the other seagulls.

I threw him a bit of food, and the other seagulls came charging for the food, and it turns out I didn’t have to worry about him. He was a total dick to all the other seagulls and they were all afraid of himJ

These two were oblivious to all the action and were making their own fun.

SaltWindandFire is a fireman, and had invited me down to the firehall for a visit, so after lunch and a short nap (man, I like naps) I headed down to firehall No.1

SaltWindandFire

Yes they really do use the pole

I hung around visiting with SaltWindandFire and his fellow firemen for a couple hours, then headed back to camp.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #469
SaltWindandFire
Binary System Sucker

Oddometer: 524
That's not a beer, Chief. Honest.
SaltWindandFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #470
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 80 May 16 622 kms Corpus Christi to Navaro Mills Lake

This morning I wanted to head out early, so I got up at first light, loaded the bike, got all ready to saddle up, and the neighbor came over and wanted to chat, then his wife, then his daughter. We had a nice visit for quite and while, then I got on the road J

I wanted to try to avoid freeways and cities, so I headed out on highway 77. On the map it looked like a nice little road, but in reality it was a divided highway with a bit too much traffic. I turned onto 77A at Refugio, and that was more to my liking.

I stopped on the side of the road for a bit of breakfast.

I rode along in no big hurry, but with very little traffic and the rural road speed limit of 70 mph, I ate up the miles.

I rode into Halletsville and spotted an old church sticking up above all the other buildings, so I pulled into town to get a few pictures.

I spotted a bank, and I had a few pesos left over, so I figured I would cash them in for American dollars. Sounds easy, right?

I walk in, go up to the teller and tell her what I want to do. Well turns out you can’t trade in foreign money unless you have a bank account, and do you have a bank account with us sir?

Well, of course I didn’t so I go to leave and she says she can set me up with an account and its really easy…… So, of course I believe her.

She was kind of cute in a Bible Belt, Texas farm girl kinda way, and she heads to her office and I follow her (apparently she works the till AND has her own office) and on the way in, she says, and I quote, “I have never done a Canadian before, you will be my first time.”

Hmmmm……

Really………?

What do you say to that?

And I tried, I really did. I tried not to say anything, but….well, you know.

So I says, as she is starting to type up something on the computer, “Well, you always remember your first time.”

And she stops typing, and her fingers won’t seem to work, and she turns about 3 shades of red, and then she does a really good job of not hearing what I had said.

I guess she was remembering a first something. What? I don’t know J

So anyhow, an hour and a half later, I was the proud owner of a Wells Fargo Bank account, debit card, and checks, which, when I asked, was told I could cancel when I got back to Canada, but I might want to hang on to it and pay the user fees just in case I want to use it one day.

And… I did get a really crappy exchange rate on the Pesos…….

Off I went, into rural Texas , and it was pretty good riding. A bit of waiting for road construction, but mostly just riding past farm after farm after farm.

I wanted to avoid going through Waco, so I zig zagged on farm roads that didn’t show on the map, and finally came to the campsite I had seen on Freecampsites.net. It wasn’t free, but was darned cheap, and had big campsites, water and electricity ( like I need water and electricity) and there was no one else around.

It was starting to get late, so I set up camp and made something to eat.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #471
KingDan
Former Ape Pilot

Oddometer: 1
Good chatting with you BC, hope you enjoyed TX.

Dan, the bald Fire Fighting/Life Saving stud in the middle.
KingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #472
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltWindandFire View Post
That's not a beer, Chief. Honest.
Riiiigght..........

I am hurt that I got the pepsi can with pepsi in it, while you were drinking disguised Shiners

Once again, thanks for everything, and if you ever find yourself in Canada...................

BC Brian screwed with this post 05-18-2012 at 06:23 AM
Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #473
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDan View Post
Good chatting with you BC, hope you enjoyed TX.

Dan, the bald Fire Fighting/Life Saving stud in the middle.
Thanks Bald KingDan in the middle.

I am really enjoying Texas, and am still here for a few more days (East Texas)

I am heading to a Big Assed party this weekend, and if I am in any shape to ride sunday, I wll try and leave Texas.... no guarantees though.......
Old 05-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #474
Jarrod Weaver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42

This beautiful building isn't a Church but is the historic Lavaca County courthouse which was built in 1897. Everything is better in Texas.
Jarrod Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #475
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
I threw him a bit of food, and the other seagulls came charging for the food, and it turns out I didn’t have to worry about him. He was a total dick to all the other seagulls and they were all afraid of himJ

Probably lost it to a bit of bird karma.

Scramster
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #476
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod Weaver View Post

This beautiful building isn't a Church but is the historic Lavaca County courthouse which was built in 1897. Everything is better in Texas.
Thanks for the info Jarrod Weaver.

that's one awesome courthouse!

When I pulled into town, I thought it was a church, but when I saw the flags out front I wasn't so sure. I was going to go in and have a look around, but after all the time in the bank, I wanted to make a mile.

I am really enjoying Texas. The peolple are great, and so is the scenery.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #477
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Probably lost it to a bit of bird karma.
LOL
thats what I was thinking when I saw him pushing the other birds around. I thought maybe they had ganged up on him and took his foot for being such a dick.....
Old 05-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #478
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 82 May 18 112 kms Jacksonville Tx to “The Rally in the Crater” Mt Enterprise T

I go to Motorcycle Rallies in BC quite regularly, and have been attending the Salmon Arm Summer Stomp every year for over 20 years, but had never been to one in the States. I had looked on line for anything going on in the area I was travelling in, and there was 2, this one and one further north, a bit out of my way. I found the place on the map, and headed out.

I found the place no problem, pulled in and bought my ticket. I got lots of comments at the gate about my Buell and how it was set up, and how I was a long ways from British Columbia, and got all the normal “Dijnt ya know ya’ll ain’t sposed to go to Mexico” comments when I told them where I had been.

I found a campsite a bit away from all the action, got set up, and headed out for a look around. Talked to lots of people in the typical “Friendly Texas” kind of way, and found my way around the HUGE party site.

Who says there is no free health care in the Texas.

Lots of good eats.

I checked out the bike games. It was the first motorcycle rodeo I had ever seen that included quads and, get this, golf carts.

I have pics of the golf carts, but, well, they aren’t (ahem) really ADVrider, or work friendly. Really. I am not joking. The rally is an “Adults Only” events and there was lots of interesting stuff going on. I had to work hard to find photos that I could post J

Once I have sorted all those photos, I will post a link………………with a warning J

But there were lots of young ladies with clothes on hanging around

Of course there was the Barrel race

There was another competition called “Honey I’m home” The game is timed, and you lay on the bed, with a young lady (supplied by the organizers) , then someone hollers “Honey I am home” and you have to jump up, grab your pants, jump through the window, start your bike ( or golf cart, go figure) and ride off. It’s a great game, and I actually have a trophy at home from a similar game.

There were lots of interesting events all weekend

The bands started early

And most of them were pretty good. I wandered around most of the night watching the bands, visiting and talking with people.

This lady was in the”Back 40” and man, could she sing. Lots of bluesy rock, and she could really sing Janice Joplin (I don’t really care for Janice’s voice, but really liked how this lady sang her songs)
But even with all the going ons around the place, you were still in the bible belt. After her set, she thanked Jesus, and told everybody to drink to Jesus ( I drank to Jesus) and hollered out His name like He was a rock star.

It was pretty cool.

Turns out there were 2 stages for the bands, 1 in the “Crater” and one in the “Back 40” (the grounds were 150 acres) Seems the main stage shut down relatively early, and the back 40 stage went all night. That stage was right near the “quiet” area I set up my tent J
Old 05-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #479
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 83 May 19 0 kms “The Rally in the Crater” Mt Enterprise Tx

After a relatively restful sleep, I headed down to the “crater” for a bite to eat and to pick up a t-shirt.
I wandered around for a while, then headed back to check out the bike show.

I saw this bike (not entered in the show) on the way there.

Then on to the bike show

After checking out the bike show, I went over to the slip and slide competition. No one I talked to knew how it was judged, but it sure looked like a lot of fun.(clothing optional, see link at the end of this post)

I headed back to my camp for a much needed nap, and on the way, met a couple of people with their 4 legged friends.

There were more bike games, so I went to check them out.

In this game the women had to throw a water balloon over the rail and catch it (see more photos at the link at the end of this post)

Back by popular demand, was more barrel racing

In this game, women threw a motorcycle carburetor, and were judged on distance.

The rules included an extra foot of distance was added for any woman competing topless. (again, check out the link)

Next was the body paint competition. After that they threw out t-shirts, but, again, only to women who were topless. There was lots of pushing and shoving for the shirts J

Later on I ran into some people I had been visiting with the night before. They grabbed a lawn chair and invited me to sit down. There is an interesting…..custom?...... here in that at biker rallies, they have kind of a parade route, where people drive laps on their bikes, quads, golf carts, motorized bar stools or whatever, many of them pulling trailers with seats and sometimes with stripper poles attached. My new friends had a perfect spot for viewing this parade, so we sat there, talking bikes and watching the parade, talking to the paraders and having a good time. There are some parade pictures, but it was with my crappy camera, and the operator had consumed more than his share of beverages J
My new friends where what you might call “old school” bikers, and we discussed the differences between rallies in Texas and ones I had been to in Canada, how they had changed over the last 25 or so years, and we all agreed that we didn’t really get the whole “golf cart at a motorcycle rally” thing.

Later on was the wet t-shirt contest and that was a lot of fun. I had given up on taking pictures by that time, but you can believe me when I say it got pretty wild J

I stayed up past my bedtime watching the bands and visiting with interesting people in various stages of undress.

Click here for the “over 21” pictures.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #480
harley1550
Touring Rider

Oddometer: 219
Cool post on the rally, Brian, and very good ride report. As a Buell Ulysses rider I've enjoyed your ride report and as a Texan I've been proud to hear how you've enjoyed Texas, the countryside, the people, and now a small town rally. It's good to have you in our fair state and wish you the very best on the remainder of your trip. Ride safe.
harley1550 is offline   Reply With Quote