Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
Go for it. You'll be laughing in your helmet when you go around the outside of the guy on the S1000RR that left his 250 at home.
Or crapping in your pants when that out of control guy "gets you back" with that 170 extra hp in the straight away 3" away from you with a 100mph delta.
hscrugby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #17
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,299
I'd rather a slower bike I know inside and out then a superbike I have no experience on. My bud rides his supermoto dr650 on the track, kills it in the curves but looses on the straightaway, doesn't take away from his thrill

"we as riders stick together as no matter what ur race maybe!!!!"
devo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #18
NWAF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
I'd rather a slower bike I know inside and out then a superbike I have no experience on.
The fact that I could try the S1000RR for relatively little money and little risk at California Superbike School was a big motivator for me. And with all the coaching you get, you'll get the hang of it quickly, particularly as a level 1 student.

I would not want to do this particular school on a slow bike. Just because I would not want to have to deal with all mediocre riders on powerful bikes seeing me as their only chance to overtake someone.

KTM 690 Enduro R

Save yourself $5 with this coupon when you sign up at smugmug.com: Y1vhouQ9tByzs
NWAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #19
Go Irish75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
I've taken all the level classes offered by Keith Code and his Califorinia SBK school. You will have the smallest displacement bike if you bring the Ninja 250, but that does not mean you will be the slowest, not able to learn, not able to apply all that is taught, and have a great time. I'm not familiar with your track, but the Ninja 250 wouldve been a blast at Blackhawk Farms Raceway where I took the first one day school, but NOT so much fun on the larger Road America Raceway in Elkhart Lake where I took the other levels. The smaller more technical tracks you will find yourself flicking it around and able to corner better than some weekend warriors on their GSXR's and R1's with the nice flat spot tires. If I remember right, for the one day Level 1 cornering class, there is no passing (minus the instructor), so dont worry about being run over. You head out onto the track in your small groups, like a 3 or 4 to one ratio of student to instructor, so dont worry about the peer pressure. Theres a bit of classroom too so bike displacement plays no factor there obviously. I wouldnt worry about wrecking, its not a race, its actually a relaxed learning environment. The wrecks I have seen at those schools come from the much larger displacement bikes with much larger ego's aboard. Your instructor may (i say may) put you at the back of the group (adjustable during the day), or he may have you run out front. They drop back in line to watch you, then they get in front of you for you to watch them and follow their lines and also they give you hand signals to let you know when to roll on the throttle through an apex. Most ride the thing one handed becuse they are giving the students signals with their other hand the entire time. Good times, take YOUR own bike and have fun. Why learn on some bike youre never gonna ride?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #20
BeemerGirlRT
NinjaWarriorPrincess

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
Go for it. You'll be laughing in your helmet when you go around the outside of the guy on the S1000RR that left his 250 at home.
This.

It is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow!

(So says the girl who loves to wring out her Ninja 250!)
Old 05-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #21
Dauntless OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Update:

My brother wants to take the course with me and he suggested that we take the two day course. The S1000RR is included I the price and the instructor:student ratio is 2:1. He wants to go to Las Vegas or Infineon Raceway in October or November.
Dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #22
RussellH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I've been debating the same thing myself. For the price of renting the S1K I can take another class which is more valuable to me. In my case since I'll be taking level 1 and 2 at the Streets of Willow (used to race cars there) I'm not worried about passing or getting passed.

Hi Misti
1982 NightHawk 450cc - Sold
RussellH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #23
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
Update:

My brother wants to take the course with me and he suggested that we take the two day course. The S1000RR is included I the price and the instructor:student ratio is 2:1. He wants to go to Las Vegas or Infineon Raceway in October or November.
You should use the rc8 and get ktm represented there

Two day camp is nice. Just arrive in your street clothes and everything is provided ( except helmet)
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #24
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti Hurst View Post
It is easier to ride the school bikes as you don't have to worry about transporting it to the track, gas, maintenance, and fixing it if you crash. The S1000RR's are amazing and fun to ride and you are only liable up to a certain amount (ask the office exactly what that is) so if you crash and only do $100 worth of damage then that is all you pay.
Along with that- if you wad your bike, your insurance may not cover it. (Don't be a douche and lie about where you crashed- it's bad karma, and it will suck more if you're caught).

So check with your insurance agent on whether track-based classes, and possibly CSS in particular, is covered. (Be sure to point out it is NOT A RACE, because that will be explicitly not covered.) I would get a pointer to the exact clause that says so, so you a) know the agent isn't pulling it out of somewhere dark and stinky, and b) you can point it out should the worst happen.

Unless the bike's paid for and you have no intention of ever filing a claim- in which case, have at 'er.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #25
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
Or crapping in your pants when that out of control guy "gets you back" with that 170 extra hp in the straight away 3" away from you with a 100mph delta.
And then you find him parked in turn two, get around him in turn three, and he does it again the next lap. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I once had a guy on an R1 ask my why my FZR1000 was so down on power on the straight.

I was riding an FZR400. Slowly- it was the first time I'd ever ridden a track, on a borrowed bike, and the club racer I borrowed it from was in the hunt for a trophy in his class so I wanted to be sure I didn't wad it up.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #26
Dauntless OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
UPDATE:

Returned from the two day camp at Sonoma Raceway at Sears Point,CA. Everything was provided: boots,leathers,back protector, gloves, and helmet. I brought my own helmet and boots. They also provide a breakfast that includes sausage, scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, pastries, cereal, waffles, coffee, juice, etc. Lunch was also provided which was a nice sandwich (turkey, ham, or roast beef), fruit, cookies, salad, and chips. Cold water, Gatorade, sodas, and snacks are provided throughout the day. The director said "if you can't find it just ask". In the evening, we went to one of the many fine restaurants in California's wine country. The weather was perfect: 80 degrees and sunny.

The school consisted of five seminars each day followed by a track session to perform a drill that reinforced the seminar. The last two track sessions of the day are to work on whatever you and your coach feel needs work. Each day also includes a ride on the camera bike which records a lap around the track. They give you a DVD with both rides to take home. There is also a lean bike that the instructor uses to teach proper body positioning when cornering. The braking bike was available but most people didn't make use of it.

I learned a lot and have gained confidence when cornering. This was my first track experience and I found it perfect because people were there to learn rather than show off.

All of the staff were friendly and helpful including Keith Code himself. The S1000RR was awesome and it never faltered or lost grip despite being leaned hard. I kept it in rain mode until the last session. I was there to learn finesse in the corners, not speed on the straights.

I went through levels 1 and 2 and will definitely return to go through levels 3 and 4.

Dauntless screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 07:35 PM
Dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #27
Corbets
Gravity Slave

Oddometer: 33
Jealous

I'm jealous of those of you who've gotten to do this school; it's definitely on my bucket list. Looking at doing the school near the German / Danish border, but I don't think Keith attends the European classes. ;/
Corbets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #28
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
ninja 250....properly prepped is awesome on a tight track. you'll smoke much larger displacment bikes.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #29
Delicious
<Insert Witty Line>

Oddometer: 24
I say buy a DRZ400SM it is enough speed for straights but has the uber turning power you would want. But if you are on a budget I would go for a SV660.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #30
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
ninja 250....properly prepped is awesome on a tight track. you'll smoke much larger displacment bikes.

Track days are 90% rider, 5% bike, 5% luck. I have seen a 250 obliterate people...lol.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote