Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #16
LashLarue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer
Nope. Never heard of it here. Back east maybe?
Texas, the guy I use checks for exhaust leaks and failed my Sl350 last year. I had a local welder close the rust holes enough to pass last year but it is even worse this year.
LashLarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #17
LashLarue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayerMR
I've got something similar to these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230470019413

on my SL350. They look good and sound good. No chrome flaking after several years of ownership either.

I could do that! Did it have all that you need to just bolt to the header or did you buy other connectors?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #18
FatTirePlease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by LashLarue
Texas, the guy I use checks for exhaust leaks and failed my Sl350 last year. I had a local welder close the rust holes enough to pass last year but it is even worse this year.
WOW!!! That's a surprise. Just when I am thinkin of movin to Austin! Put a great big checkmark on the negative side of the ledger for that one!!!!!
FatTirePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
LashLarue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update - still looking/deciding

I am still riding without an inspection sticker with the old pipes. Not a lot but sometimes for up to 50 miles. No tickets but I know I can't do that forever.

After failing at winning eBay auctions for almost a year, I finally won a nice set of Harley pipes. They look good but are long and quite heavy, I don't know whether to but an extension to get the angle of the stock pipes or to leave it straight and mount them low.

I looked again at the eBay auction from a previous post and it gets no link. The reviews on JC Whitney EMGO short pipes aer that they are loud. Not the kind of quiet, slow off road riding that I want.

Any updates from new SL riders? How have you solved your pipe problems (besides buying those repos for $1500)?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Buy my set of 1969 CL350 pipes and stick them on it as it'll look ULTRA COOL!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #21
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by LashLarue View Post
I am still riding without an inspection sticker with the old pipes. Not a lot but sometimes for up to 50 miles. No tickets but I know I can't do that forever.

After failing at winning eBay auctions for almost a year, I finally won a nice set of Harley pipes. They look good but are long and quite heavy, I don't know whether to but an extension to get the angle of the stock pipes or to leave it straight and mount them low.

I looked again at the eBay auction from a previous post and it gets no link. The reviews on JC Whitney EMGO short pipes aer that they are loud. Not the kind of quiet, slow off road riding that I want.

Any updates from new SL riders? How have you solved your pipe problems (besides buying those repos for $1500)?

I put a set of Hardly pipes on my CX. Used the one from a Sportster that a buddy of mine gave to me for free. They are louder than the stock pipes, but not overly loud. I had tried various things to get the holes in my stock mufflers covered to pass inspection. Foil furnace tape along with some wire was good enough to pass-the fix "blew" apart just as I was leaving the inspection station! But she got passed for her to get licensed!

The welded fix may not be working, but possibly brazing some thin sheet metal over the holes and painting/powder coating may be the trick. Got any close up pics of the damage for us to look at?
Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #22
eric123
Gott Mit Uns

Oddometer: 1,477
http://www.jcwhitney.com/chrome-plat...d2468y1980u0j3

http://www.jcwhitney.com/chrome-plat...d2468y1980u0j3
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #23
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
I think your making too much out of this, buy a set of anything it takes to get it on the road,

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #24
LashLarue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

pictures

RagBrian - I will try to get some pictures tonight.

I have bought some Harley pipes but have not fitted them. They are long and I don't know if they fit the sl350 without special adapters since straight pipes come out right where my brake pedal and kick starter go.

The JCW pipes are loud. I don't want loud or I would have bought these long ago. How I use my sl350 offroad, I prefer quiet.

All this has been on hold anyways since I bought another sl350 and have put priority on its rebuild. Since I do not trust mine without a new cam chain tensioner, I am learning on the new (to me) sl350. Right now, that overhaul is delayed while I attempt to get a seized piston out of the cylinder. The head is off, and the cylinder is full of MMO.

The overhaul SL350 also has pipe problems and yesterday I gave up trying to get the mufflers off the header pipe and finally just hacksawed them at the joint, provably losing an inch of header. For the guys who want to patch the old pipes, they are full of rust and I can't imagine how much better the sl350 will run with something newer.

LashLarue screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 07:46 AM Reason: hacksaw
Old 05-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #25
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by LashLarue View Post

Put the sporty pipes on,go get the inspection,and then switch the pipes back.

I grew up in Dallas,ask around,somebody you know will have a "friend" who does inspections that everything passes

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #26
LashLarue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

spark arrestor

One other thing that enters into the discussion is that I need a spark arrestor. Other old black muffler has that stamped into the muffler. Where I ride in the National Forests and Grasslands, an arrestor is required. Do any of the aftermarket muffler have an approval stamp?
Old 05-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #27
LashLarue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

pictures

Here is the pipe that started the thread. It is still on the bike and I have ridden it but not nearly as much as I would if this was fixed and registered. You can see where it was braised and how it passed one inspection in 2009. What you don't see it rust rattling around inside.

Since my post I have bought several other SL350s. Here is one with cb350 pipes which I think are going to get knocked off with any kind of off pavement riding.

Then there is the SL350 where I cut the mufflers off.

And take a look at how the pipes are "up swept".

Unrelated to the pipe problems is the work going on two of the sl350s:

Seized piston SL350.

and from the cut pipes SL350 is a points plate and advancer totally corroded and ruined. Does anyone think these 4 screws holding the timing box are coming off without a fight?

So I have my hands (and garage) full, I just want to ride. I am going to have to get these to a point that they suffer no more damage and then just do one at a time. I really want to unstick that piston cause I took all those parts off that engine and as time goes by I lose both my memory and parts.

LashLarue screwed with this post 05-19-2012 at 10:32 AM
Old 05-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #28
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
yes Ive seen it but cant tell exact models, Id go to a bike bone yard, see what matches up
Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #29
HamboneSlim
ಠ_ಠ

Oddometer: 4,587

Stock pipe is 1-1/4". Buff Harsh at Todd Henning Racing ported the head & bored the stock 325cc jug to 362cc. With the addition of a megacycle TT grind cam, high compression pistons, and valve work, she's now running 34mm Mikunis and 1-1/2" pipe. Buff provided the headers and the local Midas shop bent the upturns for $20. Muffs are Supertrapp resonators, which are also certified spark arrestors, and sound snappy. Bracket is ho-made from hardware store parts.

The electronic ignition came from Bore-Tech, and is a really well-made unit. I've been very happy with it.
Their motto is, "Don't tread on me."
HamboneSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #30
LashLarue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Supertrapp resonators

Supertrapp resonators - are they louder than stock?