Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 238 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #24031
CatfishRacing
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 559
AWESOME!!!
I raced from 12-17 and had a blast doing the NYS Championships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
IBA #12835
AMA Lifer
CatfishRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #24032
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,723
I've been using nuun tablets in one waterbottle. And one bottle of water.
I carry a tube of GU too, for just in case and some Chomps for longer rides.
I've had cramps at 4 miles form home and had to call for help from my wife.
Conversation goes: "you're only four miles from home?".
"yeah,"
"and you can't ride any further?"
"yeah, come get me I'm at the park"
"it's only four miles"...

She finally decides I'm serious. Comes and gets me then wants me to drive. I can't I can barely move. She did remember the water though.
Now I carry the tube or two of Gu, Chomps and a tablet or two of nuun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfriar View Post
I went out Saturday to try out a new route. It was about 45 miles and that was about twice as far as I've gone this year. It was warmer than I thought it was going to be and I got leg cramps at about 35 miles. Thought I could finish, but had to call the support vehicle (my wife in the Tacoma) to come and get me at around mile 40. Try it again next weekend. I just got my road bike in September and still getting used to longer (for me) rides.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #24033
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,129
Things I've learned:

- The importance of riding with water cannot be stressed enough. During an 11 hour mountain bike race in Pisgah Forest a couple years ago, my race partner and I decided not to stop and filter water into our hydration bladders because we thought we had only 45 minutes to the finish line. It would have taken us 45 minutes if we were hydrated, but we weren't. Instead, the last bit took us almost two hours. Tongue was dry, blood was thick, heart was racing. Scared the shit out of me. I was so thirsty, I sucked the sweat out of my helmet's headband - no shit. I took foot-long steps while pushing my bike on any grade steeper than horizontal. Riding was out of the question. Never ever ever ride without water.

- Too much water is very, very bad. Drinking too much water can upset your electrolyte balance.... it literally waters down your body's electrolyte concentration. There's no such thing as 'overhydrating' - don't do it.

- If you're not peeing about every hour or two, drink more water.

- For me, the best drink mix for long rides (4 hours plus) is Hammer Nutrition's Perpetuem. It gives my racing partner stomach cramps.

- Friends I race with swear that vinegar helps reduce cramps. If you run out of Gu or Sport Legs, pickles and mustard contain vinegar and can be found at just about any convenience store.

Every body is different. What works for one may not work for someone else. Get to know your body and always carry what you need to get through a ride.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #24034
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
Things I've learned:

- The importance of riding with water cannot be stressed enough. During an 11 hour mountain bike race in Pisgah Forest a couple years ago, my race partner and I decided not to stop and filter water into our hydration bladders because we thought we had only 45 minutes to the finish line. It would have taken us 45 minutes if we were hydrated, but we weren't. Instead, the last bit took us almost two hours. Tongue was dry, blood was thick, heart was racing. Scared the shit out of me. I was so thirsty, I sucked the sweat out of my helmet's headband - no shit. I took foot-long steps while pushing my bike on any grade steeper than horizontal. Riding was out of the question. Never ever ever ride without water.

- Too much water is very, very bad. Drinking too much water can upset your electrolyte balance.... it literally waters down your body's electrolyte concentration. There's no such thing as 'overhydrating' - don't do it.

- If you're not peeing about every hour or two, drink more water.

- For me, the best drink mix for long rides (4 hours plus) is Hammer Nutrition's Perpetuem. It gives my racing partner stomach cramps.

- Friends I race with swear that vinegar helps reduce cramps. If you run out of Gu or Sport Legs, pickles and mustard contain vinegar and can be found at just about any convenience store.

Every body is different. What works for one may not work for someone else. Get to know your body and always carry what you need to get through a ride.
This confused me some (easy...I know)

You seem to contradict yourself but I may just be reading it wrong...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #24035
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
Currently sitting on the side of the road, a few miles short of the highest point on the planned ride for the day. Things were going great until my rear tire exploded -- not just the tube, the tread of the tire was shredded.

Now I'm watching bikes and motos and sports cars whip by on the winding road and amusing myself with my phone while I wait for my ride home to get here.

I got a motorcycle on Friday. My first in almost 6 years. A Yamaha WR250R. Had a fantastic time on it that afternoon and yesterday, and was tempted to take it out again today. But I convinced myself to be healthy and pedal instead.
Bummer and congrats at the same time.

I was trying to figure out WhyTF my cylinder was bottoming out right before TDC. Think this may have something to do with it?

I don't remember if the cylinder and piston came out of the same vintage Husky as the one I'm getting running (06/07) or not. ...regardless, I'd say there was an issue!

M
Old 05-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #24036
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post

One of the sure fire ways to distinguish a ride as "epic" is when vulgarities are used in a matter of fact tone as the only useful description of the experience instead of a colorful embellishment.
At the Devil's Backbone 'cross' ride I did a few weeks back, it wasn't so much fun as 'I'm gonna kick X's ass when I see him! That sadistic, evil, little man!

Glad I did it and I'll probably get talked into it again, but next time I'm NOT doing it on 34c knobbies. I'll settle for my 28c Gatorskins to make the road sections mo bettah.

Quote:
And enjoy the WR. Must be something in the air. I recently sold my FZ1 and am considering my first motorcycle purchase in 9 years(?! My 2003 self is hanging his head in shame). Kinda thinking DR650 though, but a WR250R is on the short list.
The people that have em seem to like em. I've never ridden one, so don't ask me about em.

M
Old 05-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #24037
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I had to chuckle on Saturday. The same situation occurred. I'm thinking, "No biggie. Gummee told me to chill, so I'm chillin." Lady behind me screams, "GET BACK IN LINE" at the top of her lungs. She was not chillin'.
Yeah, there's always gotta be one. Just like on the motos: ride your own ride.

If the guy's strong enough to last, let him hang out there and chit-chat. (sounds like something I'd do on a slower ride ) Trick is... I *know* I can pull at 35-40kph for a few hours if I have to. I've BTDT Slower rides get awful boring sometimes.

M
Old 05-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #24038
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

Oh yeah Hyponutr(somethingoranther) is a very serious bidness. I can't tell you how many people I drew blood from that ended up in the hospital in Flag with electrolytes out of whack. More than you'd imagine.

The Grand Canyon is at 7k feet. The air is VERY dry. People are told 'drink lots of water!' so they do. Sometimes way too much. Then they get a trip to the hospital as they fall out on a hike. Hopefully not at the bottom of the GC then you get a chopper ride too! THAT'LL cost ya a pretty penny.

M
Old 05-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #24039
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Yamaha marketing must be targeting bicyclists.

I pick up a new WR250R tomorrow too.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #24040
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

Nah - you didn't read it wrong. It does sound contradictory.

It's like Goldilocks and the three bears... not too hot, not too cold but juuuust right. Or in the case of water.... not enough, too much and juuuust right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Oh yeah Hyponutr(somethingoranther) is a very serious bidness.

It's called Hyponatremia

(and yes, I had to look it up )
Old 05-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #24041
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,958
Quote:
Yamaha marketing must be targeting bicyclists.

Bicyclists have gotten used to going slow on two wheels, so the WRR appeals to them. . . . .

(That's a fun bike, I've put a few miles on one- probably wouldn't have one as my only bike unless I could start dual sport rides out my backdoor though).

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #24042
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Nice!

I'm loving mine. Granted, it's my first motorcycle in several years, my first dual sport, and the lightest bike I've ever owned, so my judgement isn't worth a lot -- most of the things I love about this bike I'd probably love about any small dual sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Bicyclists have gotten used to going slow on two wheels, so the WRR appeals to them. . . . .
Guilty as charged. It doesn't take a lot of motor to feel fast to me right now. But even before my layoff from motorcycling I was firmly in the "more fun to ride a slow bike fast" camp.

Oznerol screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 09:41 PM
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #24043
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
Nice!

I'm loving mine. Granted, it's my first motorcycle in several years, my first dual sport, and the lightest bike I've ever owned, so my judgement isn't worth a lot -- most of the things I love about this bike I'd probably love about any small dual sport.

Guilty as charged. It doesn't take a lot of motor to feel fast to me right now. But even before my layoff from motorcycling I was firmly in the "more fun to ride a slow bike fast" camp.
Actually, now that you're in the bay area, you're in one of the relatively few good places to ride a bike like that on the street- there are enough really twisty roads around here (you're not too far from alpine dam, king mountain, and tunitas, along with the south end of skyline, and Mt. Hamilton/Mines just to the east), that you can rip around riding your slow bike plenty fast. But I guess I should leave the motorcycle discussion to the rest of the site, huh. . . .

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #24044
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,723
I don't think I've ever had too much water when riding. I do know the feeling of bonking when I failed to bring along enough food/electrolyte replacement magic.
I once cramped up as I turned across a freeway acess ramp headed for the shoulder. Everytime I tried to relieve the cramp the other leg would go. I rode off the shoulder and fell into the weeds and gravel at the side. Flailing about trying to get my feet out of the shoes/pedals and relieve the cramps; up walks a CHP. Woman. She thought I had been hit and having a seizure.
I said as calmly as I could that I was fine, I just needed to get my feet off the bike so I could stand and un-cramp the muscles.
I finally got her to un-latch the Time Crit shoes and I could stand in the dirt and trash and finally get my drink bottles downed and the muscles relaxed. She kept telling me I couldn't stay there.

Once I got the legs calmed down I got my shoes back on and back on the bike and rode the mile back to my office.

When I'd left on my two hour lunch ride I was certain I had two granola bars and a couple of plastic bags with electrolyte powder in them along on my jersey pockets.
I'd forgotten I'd switched to the lighter jersey at the last moment. Luckily I remembered my wallet, and at the water stop near the dam found this out. Headed off to a not so near by 7-11 type shop. That bottle of ice cold gatoraide was good. But did not kick in soon enough or rme to avoid the cramps that lanede me in the weeds.

Those little packets of Gu I see littering the paths work for me for about an hour. I only use them as a last resort. For example on a long ride and the wind kicks up on the way back home and I've done too much chasing.

I'm lucky here to have parks with water fountains and plenty of scattered stores. I'm getting to where I know where the bike shops are so getting more fuel is pretty easy. That and I plan better. Long rides over 50 miles I wear the hydration pack with 3 liters of water and ice to start. Two bottles of electrolyte on the bike, two tubes of Gu, a couple of packets of Gummy Chomps and I'm good for 6 hours riding.
I once rode from my home in Yorba LInda California to Westminster Colorado eating only a half packet of chomps, and lots of water. Nothing else. Only stopping for gas, and the toilet, and to put on every piece of gear I had with at the top of Vail Pass. It was over 100 degrees F in the desert and light snow up high, with drizzle as I came into town 1,054 miles later.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #24045
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I underestimated the time it'd take to do the loop I just finished riding. Instead of 3hrs it took 3:35.

Weather guessers were saying T-storms all day and I went out anyway. Took the Gore Tex jacket 'just in case' tho.

So I got out the door and looked west towards where I wanted to ride. Rain. Hmmm.

Looked south at the puffy white clouds and sun. Guess I'll go *that* way!

So I did. Managed to ride around all the rain except for one little bit of sprinkling just outside Bealeton. Went Nokesville to Summerduck to Remington to Bealeton to Casanova almost to Catlett and then north to 605 then to 28N back to Nokesville. I can make loops from 1 to 8 hrs on secondary roads and usually not hit the same road twice.

Stopped at a MC repair place asking em how much to replace the clutch in Dad's Wing (and to get some agua). They're doing research... We'll see. I'm suffering from a crisis of motivation on that project too.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: