User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
mazman808 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Nuvi 500 and TOPO issue's, some questions.

Hey guys, how are we?

Im having issue's with my Nuvi500 ( i think very similar to nuvi 550 as well), and using mapsource with Shonky maps, I'll try to explain and see if someone has some simple answers, im fairly new to this so it may be simple but not for me.

Going on a trip soon, a friend that also has a Garmin GPS did all the work routing our way and then he sent me the file via email, i downloaded it and had a browse of it on mapsource program.
A few things i didnt like so i modified it, added more waypoints.
All up there are 10 days of routes, so 10 different files, all named differently etc...(day1, day2 day3 etc)

Tried sending it to my GPS and it stated all good, when i went to import them from my gps(import file) some of the files worked, and some did not.
The ones that did not gave me this message:
1). Cannot calculate the route.No roads near the starting point
And
2). Cannot calculate the route. No roads near the destination.
So those files failed to be imported so i cannot use them in my GPS.

Does anyone know what the above two mean and if it can be solved, and how please?

Another problem:
I have say a route with 400 waypoints( nuvi 500 says can do 500 waypoints), and when i try to do the same thing, import the file to use it, i get a cannot import, too many via points!

If this GPS cannot do something simple like this, do you guys know if the GPS60, gps62 would? would these one be able to do tracks(that you do on your mapsource software) and then load it to your gps and it wont have waypoints etc issues?
How does Tracking work? my nuvi500 wont download tracks, so cant experiment, do tracks have via points/waypoints? or do you simply draw a line where you want to follow and then thats what you see on your gps screen?

So hard...
Thank you to anyone who can help/explain.

mazman808 screwed with this post 05-18-2012 at 04:32 AM
mazman808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,898
Your map on the GPS my not match the map you have on Mapsource. Try BaseCamp and select the map on the NUVI 500 then build fix the routes. That has helped for me. I don't really like BaseCamp but this is one advantage it has. Just wish the PC version would let me delete data on the NUVI directly.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
mazman808 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, ill try the basecamp when i get home from work.
I have and use shonkymaps on the mapsource software to make my routes and also use shonkymaps on my gps unit,citynav i disabled on my gps.

Thanks for the reply,ill have a bit more play of it during the weekend
Old 05-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
mazman808 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tried basecamp, couldnt get it figured out.

The files that didnt work, i started from scratch again and redid the route, saved it as gpx file and transfered to GPS.
Imported it to the unit and it worked, so im happy there... except one thing, there are hundred of those flags(mine are like greenish coloured) along the way, im guessing they are the via points?

They are very annoying and i would love to change the flags to a simple square/dot.
On mapsource i see them as little squares, yet once on my unit they are huge flags, and when close to an intersection with lots of via points they are in the way of route/road.

In the mapsource settings: Edit>Preference>Waypoints i change to the small dot but it doesnt seem to apply it to my gps unit once transfered.
Anyone else have this problem.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

There is software which will convert the flags to dots for a route. It may be GPSBabel. But I feel for you. Garmin software is such a headache. If my NUVI 500 would show any track I select without having to convert it to a map I would be happy. Or if routes wold keep their preferences I have separated from a group because the NUVI rerouted me on a different road. This is bad when you are waiting at a turn for the group to catch up and no one shows.

I was just trying to setup Activity Profiles in BaseCamp to Match what I use on the NUVI 500. Of course the NUVI has Highways and BaseCamp has Interstates, Major Highways and State Highways. Now to figure out if Highway is all three. This will take some experimentation.

Here are setting in Basecamp that seem to map like the NUVI Setting for faster and no avoidances. This is a start. I made an activity profile in Basecamp. X indicates selected.

NUVI Faster No Avoidances
NUVI 500 (Settings/Navigation)...BaseCamp Settings (Options/Activity Profile)
Route Preference
..Faster Time............................... Faster Time X
..Shorter Distance........................ Shorter Distance
..Off Road
Avoidances.................................Avoidan ces (Note Road Type and Feature Type)
..U-Turns ..........................................U-Turns
..Highways .......................................Interstate
.................................................. ......Major Highways
.................................................. ......State Highways
..Toll Roads ......................................Toll Roads
..Traffic
..Ferries ...........................................Ferries
..Carpool Lanes ................................Carpool Lanes
..Unpaved Roads ..............................Unpaved Roads X
.................................................. ......Residential Roads X
.................................................. ......Date & Time Closures
.................................................. ......Climbing Paths X
.................................................. ......Cable Cars X
.................................................. ...................Narrow Trials X
(The NUVI 500 seem to avoid residential roads at all cost)

Anyone try the ExpertGPS.com tips for a NUVI 500 or any Garmin? Looks like software to manage the maps on a computer and not tips for the NUVI.

Well pay for what you get as he Montana owners will tell me. Yes but for that kind of money more maps should be provided.

Wee Strommin along.

biker128pedal screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 10:18 AM
Old 05-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman808 View Post
Another problem:
I have say a route with 400 waypoints( nuvi 500 says can do 500 waypoints), and when i try to do the same thing, import the file to use it, i get a cannot import, too many via points!

I think you are confusing way points and via points.

You are correct and the Nuvi can hold 500 way points.
However, it can only handle routes with no more than 200 via points per route.

You have to either break up the routes more so each one has no more than 200 via points or delete via points so that each one has no more than 200 via points.

The via points in a route do not count against your 500 way point total.

I loaded 10 each 200 via point routes to my Nuvi 550 (2000 total via points) and it handled it fine.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Good to know. Thanks.

Wee Strommin along.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Topo 100 on Card

I was able to put some of Topo100 on a 16GB card and see the map on my NUVI 500. Now putting the lower 48 states on the card. That is if I can wait 38 hours. If this works I can pull the old Topo off so I can update the road maps. Oh looks like both are visible at the same time.

Wee Strommin along.