Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #16
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
I started a thread a while back about my back hurting. Well, it hasn't gotten any better...as a matter-of-fact it seems to be getting worse. So, I have begun to look at other types of bikes....

Today, I test rode an '04 Road King...
Road King is a great bike. I own a 2011. That being said, of the bikes I own it's the worst on my back. I mention this because you don't really notice it until you put some miles on. I've got lower back problems so being seated that way for long puts a lot of pressure on the lower spine. On my GSA it's easy to slide around, stand up and/or redistribute some the weight to my arms.

Not sure if any of this applies to you, just a heads up on one of the issues you might not notice on a short test drive.

Robert OK screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 11:49 AM
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #17
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post
Road King is a great bike. I own a 2011. That being said, of the bikes I own it's the worst on my back. I mention this because you don't really notice it until you put some miles on. I've got lower back problems so being seated that way for long puts a lot of pressure on the lower spine. On my GSA it's easy to slide around, stand up and/or redistribute some the weight to my arms.

Nto sure if any of this applies to you, just a heads up on one of the issues you might not notice on a short test drive.

+1

I sometimes have problems with my low back. Riding a DS doesn't bother it. Riding a sporty bike (Buell S1) doesn't bother it. Riding my Ducati 900SS doesn't bother it (does bother my hands and wrists though). Ridng my 1150GS doesn't bother it either. Spending too much time in my truck, or in an office chair kills my lower back though. A couple of hours doesn't bother me, but long periods of time can take me out of commission and take literally DAYS to recover.

There is just something about that foot forward position, that even with good lumbar support, just kills me.

YMMV of course, but if your back issue is a big part of your decision to buy, you may want to consider renting one for a weekend and doing some serious miles before deciding for sure.

Good luck with whatever you decide...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #18
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

There is just something about that foot forward position, that even with good lumbar support, just kills me.

YMMV of course, but if your back issue is a big part of your decision to buy, you may want to consider renting one for a weekend and doing some serious miles before deciding for sure.

Good luck with whatever you decide...
Right on.
If you have back problems already, allowing your spine to slouch while riding is a step in the wrong direction.
Take a weekender or a week with it, even if you have to rent one.

They're great bikes. And you've uncovered a truth in motorcycling (that no one is a sportbiker, adventure rider, or cartoon biker. rather, we're all just motorcyclists who can find pleasure in many machines and roads). It's gratifying to learn something so crucial. Just make sure you buy the right bike for your infirmities.
I do a lot of squats and deadlifts, and I really work to take care of my back. But even I get some discomfort after riding a big couch for a while.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
alii1959 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Well, my back problems seem to be quite different. My pain extends from between my shoulder blades to just below them. I don't read too much about upper back pain. I have worked out hard to make sure my lower back is fine (squats, dead lifts, etc). But now the upper/middle is the problem.....the vagaries of age.

I did notice a huge difference in my lower back as I rode, for about 20 miles or so, but I think that can be solved by a change/adjustment to the handlebars. It helps that I am a bit of a lightweight (155#) so the suspension/seat don't seem too bad. If I can arrange to I will rent one for a day just to get a feel for it. Sadly, few places near me rent bikes, of any kind.

The price range mentioned above seems to be about average. $10K more or less is the basic price range. That is a lot of money for me.

I did notice today that I was thinking that the seat on my GIXXER was a rock! Dang it....I think I am being dragged over the edge.

It is very difficult to say if it would be comfortable or not w/o owning it for awhile...then, it is too late. But, the great thing about Harley's is the fact that changing it to anything you can imagine seems to be very possible. An 8y/o Harley is a baby and parts are easy to come by.

I don't know.....maybe I am ready to take it easy for awhile.....really enjoy the ride. Or, maybe I am getting the 3-year itch.....
Old 05-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #20
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,708
Quote:

Not sure if any of this applies to you, just a heads up on one of the issues you might not notice on a short test drive.
Have you thought about a riders backrest?
Folks on the HD forums say they really do the job.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #21
Tooth
State of Jefferson

Oddometer: 97
If the bike fits ....ride it ....the make of the motorcycle is for the ignorant and irrogant to argue over.

Back rests are also available....helps the lower back alot

I would buy 09 and beyond if the wallet permitted. Touring frame better and 96cc is better bike. Catalytic converters appeared in 10 and are disliked by many. I have an '10 and could care less.
I would not buy a used Harley that has beyond a Stage I mod.....new airfilter, remapp and pipes. I personally have an issue with new cams, big bore kits, remaps.....there are many who get it right and many more who get it wrong and reduce life of engine. I like a block that has not been opened. I buy a bike to ride...distances not to the corner and back. To each there own.
Prices vary, from ridiculous to reasonable....you have to shop. a Stealership will screw you on a used bike unless you find a small guy willing to move inventory.

I would agree with those that say rent a bike for a weekend if you could. Also go to a dealer that does demo rides. I might also look at metric Crusiers and Goldwings......
Super Tenere
Honda Goldwing
Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #22
sixspeed
15 under Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:

x2.

Took a 5 hr cruise on the RK yesterday. I've got the police seat without a backrest. Very painful getting up this morning with my lower back problems.

As Kraven said, I find myself slouching on the bike which is the root of the problem. I don't have forward pegs so I'm sitting quite normally albeit with my arms out due to the cop bars.

With that said I am going to invest (heavily because I wanna keep the cop air ride seat) in the back rest for the seat. It's not the seating position that was killing me as much as it was the lack of lower back support.

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Have you thought about a riders backrest?
Folks on the HD forums say they really do the job.
No I haven't thought about it, never even occurred to me. My back usually starts getting bad anytime I stay in any seated position for too long. Worth trying though. I'll check out those forums. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #24
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,294
+1 for the backrest!

Have had a Corbin seat with backrest on present and past bike and wouldn't ride a cruiser for any length of time without one.

Also swapped the handlebars so I'm not leaning forward and reaching so much.

I don't have the best posture and slouch way too much. That said with the present seat/bars on my Road Glide my upper body position is pretty much the same when riding the DR650 or the HD. The biggest change is my foot position with my knees at about 100 degrees extension on the HD and 70 degrees on the DR but since I'm really not weighting the pegs on the DR the pressure on my ass/low back is not that much different between the 2 bikes.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #25
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
The OP really covered my sentiments about not really wanting to like an 800LB behemoth. Then I test rode one and it was all over. I took a 350 mile shakedown cruise on my new 2012 RK on Saturday, all around good ride but I think I'm gonna get a rider backrest for the long haul cause by the end of the ride I was feeling kind of twitchy in the lower back. All the HD touring bike riders I know swear by the rider backrest. This weekend I do my 1000 mile first service and will install the backrest provided I can get my hands on one.
Clint Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #26
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,708
Quote:
No I haven't thought about it, never even occurred to me. My back usually starts getting bad anytime I stay in any seated position for too long. Worth trying though. I'll check out those forums. Thanks for the tip.
You're welcome.
Several models are adjustable too, so that you can change the angle of the back rest during the day.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #27
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
You're welcome.
Several models are adjustable too, so that you can change the angle of the back rest during the day.
Correcto!

An adjustable backrest and highway pegs make for perfect cruising.

I bought both right off the shelves at the HD store when I bought my R. Glide.

For my 32 inch inseam, the combo is purrrrrfect. I can stretch my legs, push against the backrest and elevate my butt off the seat if I want.

Completely comfortable. I gave props to my oldest bro who had just gone from NY to the top of alaska and back and recommended it.

Cakeeater.
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #28
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 444
To the OP... I ride a '04 RK and have the HD pillow look two-up seat that comes standard on the ULTRA, with the slot for a rider backrest. I do not have the back rest yet after 8yrs ownership, Great motorcycle BTW.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #29
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You're welcome.
I've got a Road King Classic, looks like there is a slit in the seat for the backrest. On the Harley site I see two obvious models: the Road King Classic Style and the Road King Classic Style Adjustable. Looks like they're both adjustable, but the second model has a more expensive mounting system with some kind of remote adjustment lever.

Hopefully neither model effects the pillion. FWIW my wife is petite.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #30
Jofa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Ive had road kings on and off for about 10 yrs and also have a very bad back. In general, i think the Road King is a very comfortable bike, particularly for the lower back, but disatisfaction w the drivetrain drove me away from HD. That being said, I ended up getting the removable back-rest that fits into that seat slot and it makes all the difference in the world on long road trips. I went from new england to illinois and back on a ride and loved that back rest. another good thing about it, it is easily and quickly removable, so you can throw it in the saddle bag when u dont want to use it.

If i recall correctly, the seat you want is the "road king classic" seat, because it has the slot in it for the back rest, i think i got the seat and back rest off eBay in a package deal, it wasnt a lot of money either
Jofa is offline   Reply With Quote