Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #12856
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
So, let me understand.
You going to take risk and cut specifically short headers system, remove cat without adjusting flow and just weld in piece of pipe, change can, do nothing to mapping and hope that narrow-band lambda sensor will pick it up and make perfect adjustments to mix and mapping. So bike will be livelier. But what about risk of shortening engine life (and compression) by half by possibly burning exhaust valves seats or increasing carbons deposits. E.g. risk of trading in longevity and possibly soon lose those extra horsies because valves won't seal that well?
Or you going to do full remap? Do afr check? Tiger controller have regular OBD socket, any cable will work to connect to PC. Because if you do second variant - I am subscribed.
The Cat removal has been done without any negative effects. Cut down on the heat big time. I am just going to wait till some company builds a better 3into1 system. The bike really runs just fine straight from the factory.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #12857
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
So, let me understand.
You going to take risk .......
Yup...you understand. We are a crazy bunch of bush mechanics out here in asia mate...we dont need no stinking custom maps!

The arrow map actually works really well, like it was designed for this mod....
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #12858
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Well you've got both! You just won't have the arm snapping punch of your Speed Triple. 40 HP is a lot! But give the XC a chance ... don't judge it on power alone. Get to know the handling manners (I thought it was good!) and use the Rev's. I rode 600's for 15 years so am used to running a motor from 8 to 12K RPM everywhere. They don't really get going until 8000 RPM. But the 800 Tiger is pretty linear ... not like a Jap 600 really. But still likes to rev. Makes it more rideable on the tight, twisty, technical road, IMO. Power is very manageable.

The Tiger will be a great everyday bike, really "Do It All". Commute, week-end sport-touring .... and of course mild off road ... stay out of the mud. It's also good packed up and two up. It's smooth and quiet ... maybe too quiet as all you hear is the whistle ... if ever a bike needs an Arrow pipe!
Yeah, the XC will be a big change from the speedy, but it will open so many more doors. Horses for courses etc. Cant wait for the weekend!
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #12859
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dave View Post
Took the XC out on it's first road trip this weekend to get some break in miles on it. Did 570 miles. I really like this thing. My only complaint right now is the stock seat, and even it is not bad. While I like the width, there is basically little to no forward or aft movement for my butt available. Anyone modded the stock seat yet to make it a little flatter and less U shaped?
You could try putting the front seat height adjuster on "high" position and the back on the the "low" position. It might make the seat a little flatter for you.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #12860
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Hmm. Will try that on the next ride.
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #12861
hawkbox
800 (Ironhide!)

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
You could try putting the front seat height adjuster on "high" position and the back on the the "low" position. It might make the seat a little flatter for you.
I hadn't thought of that. I'm going to try this out and see what it does.
hawkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #12862
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpittmx View Post
Over the weekend I test road the 800 xc and also the super tenere. This will be my first adventure bike purchase. I went in favoring the XC due to styling and I have had lots of Japanese bikes and always loved them but like the idea of a euro bike. I loved the smoothness of the XC but it seemed a little lethargic to me, power wise it was just not at all impressive. The tenere on the other hand pulled unbelievably hard from low to high rpm. However the front end of the tenere felt heavy. Maybe the boring power delivery of the XC is more suited to adv riding? What are your thoughts?
The first time I rode an XC I was unimpressed. After hearing more rave reviews I tried again a year later and felt it was perfect. Maybe the first bike had a problem, or more likely it's just me. I also rarely find myself over 6k rpm, but 6-8K is where you will find a lot of power when you need it.

As for the Barkbusters, I hated spending the money, but they fit better than any of the dozen or so handguards I have fitted onto other bikes. I tried some Cycras on the Tiger and it was a pain to get them to fit. The next thing I'll hate spending money on will probably be PivotPegz.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #12863
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
Yup...you understand. We are a crazy bunch of bush mechanics out here in asia mate...we dont need no stinking custom maps!

The arrow map actually works really well, like it was designed for this mod....
What do you know about bush mechanics!
You are talking to ex-Soviet Union man! You can't even build tank from pieces of 2 bikes and we can!

So, with the mod - does it gets richer or leaner?
Why I keep on asking? Because I just threw away engine (another bike, not triumph), that was running a bit too lean for a bit too long and top end good for trash bin now. Prefer someone else to risk it and share results (I know, unfair?)
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #12864
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
I did this on my Tig955 and it made a world of difference on the comfort front but looks better than it does on the 800s. Hardly noticeable on the 955 whereas the gap at the front of the seat on the 800 has put me off leaving it like that.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #12865
Romulux
Next exit

Oddometer: 156
Love my Roadie. ~700 miles over the past 4 days. It's an incredibly competent bike and fits me perfectly.

Haven't had any hiccups in the 11 months I've owned it.

Still want a DRZ400S with a set of supermoto wheels, though.
Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #12866
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
This bike sucks, Im taking it back

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #12867
nxtdoor
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Off Road Capability

I have read through a lot of this thread and haven't seen many references to off road performance of then XC.

I am interested in this bikes ability when comes to a little tougher of reading such as the passes in Colorado like Engineer, Ophir, etc passes. Has anyone tried one of these passes with an XC?

Jeff
nxtdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #12868
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtdoor View Post
I have read through a lot of this thread and haven't seen many references to off road performance of then XC.

I am interested in this bikes ability when comes to a little tougher of reading such as the passes in Colorado like Engineer, Ophir, etc passes. Has anyone tried one of these passes with an XC?

Jeff
Read through this thread...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704559
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #12869
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,340
The non-XC is still looking pretty tempting. Can't see the advantage to the XC if I don't go off road, at all?
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #12870
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
The non-XC is still looking pretty tempting. Can't see the advantage to the XC if I don't go off road, at all?
Better suspension on the XC than on the road version.
Some bits come on the XC, such as radiator guard, bar risers, etc.

But it is higher cost and higher seat height. Not a good thing if you have a small inseam.