User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
GregsDRZ400 OP
Back Road Explorer

Oddometer: 175
Why are trials bikes so expensive?

Is it just because there just aren't that many of them? Looking at new trials bikes, they are all $6000-9000 US. There isn't much to them... Am I missing something?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #2
DorsetBlue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsDRZ400 View Post
Is it just because there just aren't that many of them? Looking at new trials bikes, they are all $6000-9000 US. There isn't much to them... Am I missing something?
Theres a 1000 difference between a Gas Gas 300cc Trials Bike and a Gas Gas 300cc Enduro bike here - probably reasonable for seat, road legal electrics and a bit more plastic/tank?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:13 AM   #3
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,657
They are pretty much the same price as any other new dirt bike. And it usually costs more time and R&D to build something light and strong. And considering the production numbers are a fraction of a regular dirt bike, I'd say they are pretty reasonable.

Trials bikes also hold their resale value better, since it is a limited market and the cost of ownership is quite a bit less than regular dirt bike too, so trials bikes are less to own, if you factor in all the expenses. Plus you can buy a new GG Economy model, essentially a two year old Pro for $5500.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,435
They're certainly not cheap.
If you have been pricing MX or enduro models however you will see they are really not out of step price wise, considering their low production, technology and ultra-lightweight construction.
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Compared to what?
I just got a new 2012 Sherco and found it priced in line with any other recretional offroad toy. I have co-workers who buy "normal" off-road bikes, quads, etc. and I have watched the values of those toys fall through the floor. Trials bikes do hold there value better (probably because the used market isn't flooded with 2-year old impulse buys gone bad). In fact the used market is strong enough that it helped justify just getting a new bike intead of a used one. The deprecession hit on trials bikes is much less then just about anything else out there.

As others pointed out, low production runs and nearly yearly updates will push up the R&D price that must be rolled into each bike. So while you think they are simplier, the piece cost of the parts will be higher. Ever price replacment parts? Notably higher then the mass produced "normal" toys. Paying for that lack of volume. But you are saving on not paying for an over-inflated dealer network and advertising.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
There isn't much to them... Am I missing something?
Lots of people think that because they are small the should be cheap. They have all the same components as any other off-road bike: forks, frame, motor, suspension....

The EURO / DOLLAR exchange rate hurts. It adds 30% to the price.
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #7
GregsDRZ400 OP
Back Road Explorer

Oddometer: 175
All good info. Thank you! I was looking at used and the value was not dropping off of these bikes as quickly as other types. They are more rare in my area and it seems like there isn't a really big "entry level" market in the US for less expensive models. I was looking for a campsite fun bike to put a seat on and run over the rocks and around the trails, something everyone could ride (and drop).
Old 05-05-2012, 04:23 AM   #8
pkelyman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
If you want to have sticker shock, check out the price of a high end bicycle (road, mountain or downhill), they make a trials bike look like a bargain. I couldn't believe the cost of those things.....and you have to PEDAL them!!
pkelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
All good info. Thank you! I was looking at used and the value was not dropping off of these bikes as quickly as other types. They are more rare in my area and it seems like there isn't a really big "entry level" market in the US for less expensive models. I was looking for a campsite fun bike to put a seat on and run over the rocks and around the trails, something everyone could ride (and drop).

For what you describe, all you need is a Honda Reflex. The modern trials bike is a world class piece of competition equipment. Overkill for a campsite fun bike.
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
BigSkyDabber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Trials bikes rare in Colorado ! ? Hardly , look at the Denver Craigslist , something like 30 bikes on there right now & some sweet ones .
BigSkyDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,528
Yea there are 2 Betas in our club that were ridden by husband wife, in really good shape for like $2500. They are out there for sure. Also, they all look the same upside down.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Is it just because there just aren't that many of them?
Yup - that's about it; small specialized market to sell to.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
walstibsf
ADVENTURE-HOLIC

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
I was looking for a campsite fun bike to put a seat on and run over the rocks and around the trails, something everyone could ride (and drop).

The big, the bad, the original adventure bike

Kinda like a METRO-DUTY-AC.....the fuel economy of a Geo Metro...the payload capacity of a Ford Super Duty.....and the ride of a Cadillac.......

Really.....these will surprise alot of folks

what a long strange trip it's been......SO FAR......
walstibsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,297
That was the best model honda ever designed. Notice the beer cooler rack. Sized for multiple cases of your favorite beverage or a generous size cooler. No wana be 6 pack for this bad boy!!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
walstibsf
ADVENTURE-HOLIC

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
That was the best model honda ever designed. Notice the beer cooler rack. Sized for multiple cases of your favorite beverage or a generous size cooler. No wana be 6 pack for this bad boy!!
I like the way you roll...like a boy scout....PREPARED!

what a long strange trip it's been......SO FAR......
walstibsf is offline   Reply With Quote