ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #1201
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer
 
triplenickel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Campbell River, BC. Fantasy Island
Oddometer: 2,422
If you damage the bark enough trees will bleed their sap out and die, it's no mystery. Back in the sticks growing up that's how we would get firewood and straight poles for building, peel a ring of bark off and come back to a dead dry standing tree. For you non believers try one in your yard.
__________________
07 SE

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #1202
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Pine Sol's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: in transit, without a destination...
Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGraham View Post
If you really want to leave no trace, sell your motorbike. Joking aside, just how much does it cost to get straps and replace your ropes?.
its impossible to leave no trace, everything we humans do has long lasting effects to this planet...

as far as straps, find an abandoned car and get an old seat belt, or better yet, rather then recycle, go out and buy one





i havent stayed in a camp grounds for more then a decade, i dont see the point, as im out traveling, i see a gazillion things that i can run a rope around, flag poles, chain link fences, car bumpers, its not just trees


Pine Sol screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 10:40 AM
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #1203
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Oddometer: 1,054
I must confess my "honest" question about ropes hurting trees was coming more from a selfish safety perspective than a tree loving perspective.

I was actually hanging a rope swing for my kids in a large tree branch about 30' high. I remember someone telling me many years ago hanging a rope swing that drilling of hole straight thru the branch and putting an eye bolt in didn't damage the tree near as much as wrapping a rope around the branch and swinging. Of course the truth is important here as not only will your kids crash on the rope swing, they may have a heavy branch come down and land on them! (And of course that would damage the tree as well!)

Off topic from hanging hammocks but I asked the question as I noticed you were all talking about ropes damaging trees while I was hanging my kids rope swing!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #1204
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Pine Sol's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: in transit, without a destination...
Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I must confess my "honest" question about ropes hurting trees was coming more from a selfish safety perspective than a tree loving perspective.

I was actually hanging a rope swing for my kids in a large tree branch about 30' high. I remember someone telling me many years ago hanging a rope swing that drilling of hole straight thru the branch and putting an eye bolt in didn't damage the tree near as much as wrapping a rope around the branch and swinging. Of course the truth is important here as not only will your kids crash on the rope swing, they may have a heavy branch come down and land on them! (And of course that would damage the tree as well!)

Off topic from hanging hammocks but I asked the question as I noticed you were all talking about ropes damaging trees while I was hanging my kids rope swing!

ouch, just the thought of drilling a hole through a branch to hang a swing makes my skin tingle...

if this were me and my kids, i wouldnt drill or use ropes wrapped around that branch, i would make something to spread the load across the branch (like a 4 or 6" PVC pipe halved, or enough to rest over top of the branch to spread the load and so not to cut into the branch making it weak) have a two part system, ropes or something over the pipe, and then then hanging ropes down from those loops to the swing bellow. not sure if that makes sense. trying to lower the back and forth swing motion away from the branch arm to the swing itself.
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #1205
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11
 
FINNDIAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Wawa, ont, Canada
Oddometer: 1,741
Got to hang a few days this past weekend and try or my new superfly. Love it.



Would it be considered bad tee hugger etiquette to hang your fly with ropes. Not much force there me thinks.

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
__________________
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #1206
weird1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 70
Sweet spot FINNDIAN. I liked my superfly a lot!!
weird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #1207
mtndragon
Traveler
 
mtndragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: knocking on the golden door
Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post

Would it be considered bad tee hugger etiquette to hang your fly with ropes. Not much force there me thinks.
Ropes are considered ok for tarps as they don't have a lot of weight and do not harm the tree. Looks like a great set-up and a good time. FYI, you can hang the superfly without a ridgeline. Brandon does his seams so that they are waterproof and do not need a ridgeline-pretty sweet!
__________________
www.mtndragon.com
mtndragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #1208
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11
 
FINNDIAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Wawa, ont, Canada
Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndragon View Post
Ropes are considered ok for tarps as they don't have a lot of weight and do not harm the tree. Looks like a great set-up and a good time. FYI, you can hang the superfly without a ridgeline. Brandon does his seams so that they are waterproof and do not need a ridgeline-pretty sweet!
I had considered not using a ridge line but decided to attach the fly with prusik's so I could slide it side to side on the ridge line as needed. Really happy with the ajustability and how it works

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
__________________
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #1209
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY
 
RonkoRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Middle of Suburban Hell- Long Island, NY
Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post
CRAP! I took a little nappy in my Chrysalis earlier yesterday, and I accidentally left the far corner off. I think about 10 gallons of water got in with yesterday and today's rains! My poor summer bag is soaking wet!

On the bright side, my modded HH came back today. I had 2qZq on the HF forum add a zipper on both sides of the bug netting (mod#4). I hated crawling into through the birth canal. Besides, I had a 5 inch tear in the the netting that had to be repaired. Once I set her up, I'll post more pics here.

At this point, I'm liking sleeping in the Chrysalis better than the HH but I'm not overly happy with having to velcro myself into the system from the inside. It gets very tippy when you try to seal yourself in. I also question the ventilation of the whole set up. I'm thinking this this will be pretty warm to sleep in during the summer.
__________________
Rob VB
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I I took the one less traveled by, And now where the fuck am I?
Do one thing every day that scares you. Baz Luhrmann

RonkoRider screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 06:01 PM
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #1210
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
Would it be considered bad tee hugger etiquette to hang your fly with ropes. Not much force there me thinks.
I use straps to support the hammock because that's what came with it. I use rope to secure the tarp. But I found that some types of rope stretch more than others when exposed to a spring storm that results in high winds and 3 inches of rain.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 09:09 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #1211
Land
Wanderer
 
Land's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 3,820
I hung at the Eastern Rendezvous this past weekend. CrazyMike did, too. These are our rigs. (Picture stolen from Cuttle. )



Mike's is the closer one. The tarp is a Warbonnet Superfly. The hammock is a Warbonnet 1.1 double layer. He used an ArrowHead Equipment KickAss Quilts Lost River 2/3rds underquilt. He used a sleeping bag for insulation in the hammock, and he used an ENO DoubleNest slung underneath as a gear hammock.

My rig is the one next to the (unoccupied) Airstream. The tarp is a Jacks 'R' Better 11'x10' cat tarp. The hammock is a Warbonnet Superfly 1.7 double with a HammockGear Winter Incubator underquilt and a HammockGear Burrow topquilt. I used an ENO Doublenest as a gear hammock to store my riding gear, clothes bag and such.


Chris
__________________
I'm not lost. I'm explorin'.
"My dream is to live my life as best I can before I die, even if it kills me." -- Mr. Cob
"If you're on ADV and you're still anonymous, you're doing it wrong." -- Boondoggle
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #1212
weird1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
I had considered not using a ridge line but decided to attach the fly with prusik's so I could slide it side to side on the ridge line as needed. Really happy with the ajustability and how it works

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
I use prussiks, and a dutch hook on each end so I can still center the tarp over my hammock. I found I like the 2 piece ridge line better. The tarp seems to hang better and remain tighter than it did with the 1 piece ridge line. If memory serves, I do believe the superfly has a cat cut ridge and a 1 piece ridge line makes it harder to get the ridge nice and taught. It has been a while since I had a superfly and I switched to the 2 piece ridge right as I was replacing the superflys so I could be wrong about the catgut. I do know my current tarp has a straight cut ridge, and I prefer the 2 piece over the one piece. I say go with what you like, but give the 2 piece a try before you decide against it, I wouldn't try it for a long time, and I had no reason why I wish I would have sooner.
weird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #1213
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid
 
Katoom119's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land View Post
I hung at the Eastern Rendezvous this past weekend. CrazyMike did, too. These are our rigs. (Picture stolen from Cuttle. )



Mike's is the closer one. The tarp is a Warbonnet Superfly. The hammock is a Warbonnet 1.1 double layer. He used an ArrowHead Equipment KickAss Quilts Lost River 2/3rds underquilt. He used a sleeping bag for insulation in the hammock, and he used an ENO DoubleNest slung underneath as a gear hammock.

My rig is the one next to the (unoccupied) Airstream. The tarp is a Jacks 'R' Better 11'x10' cat tarp. The hammock is a Warbonnet Superfly 1.7 double with a HammockGear Winter Incubator underquilt and a HammockGear Burrow topquilt. I used an ENO Doublenest as a gear hammock to store my riding gear, clothes bag and such.


Chris
Man I wish I had walked back there. I was up at the creek in the orange Marmot tent with the lounge chair hanging in the tree.

Mike 6USMC6 got me thinking about hammock camping and my huge dry bag of gear is seconding the opinion. Just bought a DoubleNest and I would have liked to see the WB.
__________________
Those who dance are considered crazy by those who do not hear the music.
I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world. - Radmacher

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #1214
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post
CRAP! I took a little nappy in my Chrysalis earlier yesterday, and I accidentally left the far corner off. I think about 10 gallons of water got in with yesterday and today's rains! My poor summer bag is soaking wet!

On the bright side, my modded HH came back today. I had 2qZq on the HF forum add a zipper on both sides of the bug netting (mod#4). I hated crawling into through the birth canal. Besides, I had a 5 inch tear in the the netting that had to be repaired. Once I set her up, I'll post more pics here.

At this point, I'm liking sleeping in the Chrysalis better than the HH but I'm not overly happy with having to velcro myself into the system from the inside. It gets very tippy when you try to seal yourself in. I also question the ventilation of the whole set up. I'm thinking this this will be pretty warm to sleep in during the summer.
Yes it does get stale and hot in there with everything closed in the summer.

Get the Bug Screen for more air if it's nice out. You can actually combine them both with the full cover pulled back as far as you want and have full mesh all around you. If it get cooler you can pull it up to leave just your head area exposed and it it's going to rain pull it all the way over.
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #1215
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY
 
RonkoRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Middle of Suburban Hell- Long Island, NY
Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Yes it does get stale and hot in there with everything closed in the summer.

Get the Bug Screen for more air if it's nice out. You can actually combine them both with the full cover pulled back as far as you want and have full mesh all around you. If it get cooler you can pull it up to leave just your head area exposed and it it's going to rain pull it all the way over.
Okay, where would I get it from?

Is this what your talking about?

Eureka Chrysalis tropic screen

__________________
Rob VB
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I I took the one less traveled by, And now where the fuck am I?
Do one thing every day that scares you. Baz Luhrmann
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014