Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #16
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
So, we're talking about Astral projection while in a functioning conscious state?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_projection

All I'll add is that I've experienced things similar to the above concept while meditating but, can't imagine it'd be possible while in a functioning conscious state. (but who knows?)

I'm sure most of us are also familiar with out of body experience stories when someone has died on an operating table and been brought back; and were then able to describe what they saw happening while floating above their body in the operating room.
Many of those experiences have been documented in Science journals and the stories have been accurate enough (as told by those who were brought back) to lend some credibility to the concept.

F.W.I.W. I'm not aware of any cases (except what the O.P. has written about) where Astral projection has occurred while someone was in a fully functioning state of mind. (functioning, as in performing a task)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #17
frontiercat
all out of charm

Oddometer: 893
For one, I believe it...
frontiercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #18
Colorado Col Rider
Wee Stromming Now

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
I often suspect something like a driver pulling out may happen, and it does not happen. I forget those. Then you have the same feeling and it does, those you tend to remember. This selective memory is something we all do. Weather man gets it right for a month, then everyone remembers the tstorm on the picnic. Or it can be a real thing.

Rod
I think this is dead on 99.9% of the time. I also believe the mind is extremely powerful and very few, or none, use it to it's full potential. I have read about many experiments that do not prove premonitions but certainly add credence. We are all just balls of energy, with energy and magnetic fields. It is not out of the question for these fields to overlap, especially in altered states of conciousness. This would allow the rider to possibly share energy with the driver of the truck who was probably freaked out and sending massive waves of energy. Especially since zoning out due to extreme fatigue may facilitate a vision or premonision of some kind (similar to meditating).

If you believe your friend is telling the truth, and I'm sure you do. A vision that matched as closely to the real thing would be extremly unlikely to be pure coincidence. However, our brains also do messed up things to us and what we believe and would swear on our deathbeds to be the truth isn't. That's one reason why so many people swear they saw a UFO that were proved to be lights reflecting off something or why it's hard to get a credible witness at a crime scene.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
I know this thread is a bit weird and I'm not that kind of guy....but, I've had a few of these myself and can't explain, nor can I deny they happened. See my original post. Again, I know this subject is not easy to talk about....like what carb, bike, suspension, fairing, etc. should I consider. However, I believe that those of us who indulge in a fairly high-risk past time should at least consider it.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,188
I never had something like that happen, and might put it down to some clue the guy might have had but missed being tired, but there have been many situations that I have been in where unusual caution saved my bacon.
Just last year I was riding a twisty road after a heavy rain, and I slowed down even more then wet roads called for, to come around a turn with 3+ feet of water in my lane up against a rock wall.
It was not an issue since I was going slower then usual, maybe the thought of standing water on the road was enough to make me cautious, as I had to cross the center line in a sharp blind turn to avoid the deep water and get to the shallow side of the puddle. There could have been a car coming the other way, or even worse, the puddle could have been on their side and they cross over the center line into my lane mid turn with a rock wall or a big drop off as my options to avoid a head on.
The thought of cars hitting deep water mid turn is also interesting when you are on a bike anyplace in the area...

In this case, the guy having a lot of seat time on a bike might have noticed other log trucks on the road, and thought about limited sight lines, log trucks, and high speeds...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #21
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

NJ Brett,

Hi might have. But we just didn't get that far into the experience. That's what I meant in my OP when I said it's difficult for men to talk about this kind of stuff. What he was very clear about was: That he left his bike and was several hundred feet above it briefly so that he could see over the crest.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #22
boduke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
If the human mind is focused in the truest sense, I think it's able to do a lot more than most of us realize. Sorry, that's the best I can do to explain.
I have had a couple of experiences that I would say transcended the conventional since of reality.
I don't tell people about it because I don't know how to "explain" or verbalize in a way that would be adequate.
The quote above rings true and I would add that we are connected to the universe in a way that defies our ability to define...be the ball Danny
boduke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #23
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,355
Wink remote viewing

Some parts of his story sound like "remote viewing", you may want to research that subject.
tokyoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,188
If I ever was several hundred feet above my bike, that would get my attention!
Too much lds in collage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
NJ Brett,

Hi might have. But we just didn't get that far into the experience. That's what I meant in my OP when I said it's difficult for men to talk about this kind of stuff. What he was very clear about was: That he left his bike and was several hundred feet above it briefly so that he could see over the crest.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #25
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
So, we're talking about Astral projection while in a functioning conscious state?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_projection

All I'll add is that I've experienced things similar to the above concept while meditating but, can't imagine it'd be possible while in a functioning conscious state. (but who knows?)

I'm sure most of us are also familiar with out of body experience stories when someone has died on an operating table and been brought back; and were then able to describe what they saw happening while floating above their body in the operating room.
Many of those experiences have been documented in Science journals and the stories have been accurate enough (as told by those who were brought back) to lend some credibility to the concept.

F.W.I.W. I'm not aware of any cases (except what the O.P. has written about) where Astral projection has occurred while someone was in a fully functioning state of mind. (functioning, as in performing a task)
There was a study on the floating above thing, in the operating room they put memorable pictures on top of the equipment, where no one could see unless they were floating. So far none of the out of body people were able to see it.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #26
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Now the only way I could rationalize knowing something is there ahead of time would be the miraculous computational power of the subconscious, but as far as leaving your body, this is a good little 101, if you wanna look into it.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #27
Cykel
I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
This is exactly where my mind went when I read the original post, but I'll say that I have had similar experiences while in a "conscious state." I think it's possible to reach a similar level of clarity while riding. Whether it's safe to do so is an entirely different topic, but if you've ever read "Wherever You Go, There You Are," the book has some interesting material on the intelligence of your senses (he calls it "inner intelligence").

Also a bit of a tangent, but I might recommend "Thinking Fast and Slow," which has some interesting dialogue on "learning" intuition. Your mind can analyze traffic at very impressive speeds if you are free from distraction, experienced, and are not forcing your attention but are rather simply being in the moment. I think that is where a lot of the "I knew this would happen but not sure how I knew," comes from.

Impressive event, though, and certainly rare. I personally am inclined to believe it. These topics always interest me

Addition: On the motorcycle awareness vs car distraction. I can't even really drive with the radio on anymore. I just turn it off and go in silence.

Cykel screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 01:48 PM
Cykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #28
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cykel, I'm with you there! I find the radio a distraction I don't need. I'm sure I'm a better/safer cage driver from my MC riding experience.

I'd like to recommend a book: The Gift of Fear, by Gavin DeBecker. Has nothing at all to do with MC riding but does have to do with the "spidey sense" as one of the previous posters called it.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #29
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,220
Wayne Rainey in his autobiography mentions this exact thing. He was in a race and so in the zone that he visualized that he was floating above the bike watching himself race. Seems to be something about total focus.
ShaftEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #30
Alijonny
ADVENTURERERERERERER

Oddometer: 129
I believe there is more to life than we will ever know. Just from a scientific standpoint, what we come from and how we can even do what we are capable of is just beond amazing.

Example: How can we do what we do and be so quiet about it? How come we can't make robots or machines that are as quiet as our muscles? I need sleep. Just rode from Chicago to Tennesee, now unwinding...lol.

Btw a good read on how the brain works is "how we decide" by Jonah Lehrer. Read the first story and try to put it down. I dare you...
Alijonny is offline   Reply With Quote