User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,696
I was an insurance adjuster for the largest insurer of motorcycles in the US. Insurance is a state controlled business and therefore the laws related to insurance vary by state. I worked in Oregon, so what I offer is my experience and opinion but in no way am I telling you what will happen.

Comprehensive does not cover collision damage. It is for things like your bike getting stolen. Collision is your vehicle hitting or being hit. Your insurance company probably cannot handle the claim on your behalf because unless they pay your claim they have no right to subrogation (getting the money they put out from the at-fault party). With no collision they have no way to pay the claim.

You will need to contact the insurance carrier on the vehicle that struck your bike. The way it works in Oregon is insurance follows the vehicle, not the driver. So, if the vehicle is insured by a customer you would need to call their insurance company. They may not be on the hook for it though if your company was in charge of the vehicle. Again, in Oregon, commercial/business policies (that take possession of a customer's vehicle) typically have a "garage keeper" endorsement. The garage keeper (the business) assumes liability coverage when a vehicle is in his possession. So, if it's like Oregon, you'll want to contact the vehicle owner's insurance carrier to see if they are liable. If not they will need to deny liability formally. The commercial business' insurance company/risk management would then be on the hook and would handle the claim.

All that being said, you should probably make some phone calls and take the bike to either a dealership or a well respected motorcycle mechanic for an estimate. Do not have them start the work until the insurance company has an opportunity to see it. Some insurance companies have their own adjuster write the estimate. Also, some insurance companies will total a bike that has frame damage (not just the thought it might...a good adjuster will be able to determine frame damage). Any specific questions, you can PM me.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.

acesandeights screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 07:38 AM Reason: grammar
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote