User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Mikey113 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Northeast California to Rome (Oregon)

It began as most trips do, over a beer . It was April and my buddy Brian and I wanted to take a trip through Northern Nevada. We discussed time frames and mid-May seemed to work. In the early stages of the planning we decided that the Owyhee River Canyon and Three Forks would be a better choice based on distance between fuel and our concerns about the weather. Neither of us had been there and this picture on the net made us want to go see it for ourselves. Over the next 6 weeks, we added three more guys to the ride.

Owyhee Ride Report click

Mikey113 screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 10:37 PM Reason: Grammar, Grammer, or Speeling
Mikey113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Mikey113 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 1

I took Friday off and met Brian, Pete, Russ and Pat in Canby, California where I trucked my bike, a 2009 KLX250S. Brian formed the Klamath Falls chapter of KLR650 owners society and brought Pat and Russ down on their late model KLR's. Pete has a month old 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. Here we are getting gas in Cedarville, California before picking up Nevada 8A.

(Traffic on Nevada 8A near Vya)

As with any ride, we had some spur of the moment planning and decided to go south to go north.

We made a good decision and headed toward Soldier Meadow, going through Stevens Camp where some Nevada Search and Rescue Guys told us it was cool to have a group photo taken.

We then proceeded through High Rock Canyon where we had a ton of awesome photo op's.

Wasn't expecting water crossings in the desert

A primitive shelter and nice place to hang out

Owyhee Ride Report click
Old 05-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
Mikey113 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 1 continued

So just when we were thinking that the ride couldn't get any better, we run into five guys from Chico and the Bay Area. They had a support Jeep and generously offered us...BEER...which hit the spot. I can't recall any of their names but recall that they hadn't heard of ADVrider... wait what... they were probably in the Federal Witness Relocation Program or something. You don't know them - just sayin'

We left their company and decided we needed to make some time up. It was 2:00 and we were heading to the White Horse Ranch to set up camp. We cruised through Soldier Meadows without stopping to see the hotspring.

This is Summit Lake. Summit Lake Indian Reservation is a few miles a way, politely speaking it is "economically depressed." An insensitive person might say it is a shit hole, not me though.

We hightailed it "off the reservation" and into denial err Denio Jct., Nevada for gas and fuel (he means beer).

So we ask in Denio Jct about beer to go, $16 for a 12-pack was the answer. We figured surely we could find a better deal in Denio proper and we did. It was only $9 a 6-pack there. The bartender, Nicole who seemed a little out of place (see Federal Witness Relocation Program), recommended we camp at Willow Hot Spring which was near are intended destination. Done and done.

My tent will look good here:

and the bikes here

I forgot to take a picture of the springs that night but I sure got some use out of them. It was a cold night and the springs were warm. The night air kept the beer cold until it was all gone.

Day 1 in the books. 232 KLX miles for me; the Klamath Falls crew +/- 300 miles. The KLX got 57 mpg loaded between Cedarville and Denio.

Owyhee Ride Report click
Old 05-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
Mikey113 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2

Day 2 started way too early. The sun comes up in this part of Oregon at 5:40 A freak'n M. I also hadn't mention the other camper with us, Tom. 'Ol Tom is the foreman for three of the Klamath crew. Tom has been there and done that and know damn near all there is to know. Tom went to bed early to ensure we all got up early for the Day 2 ride. He used his trusty XR650 alarm clock to wake us. After some coffee and discussion, the 5 of us decided to take a mostly paved route to the Three Forks of the Owyhee. Our decision was influenced by Brian's bald tire, a sore ankle Russ had from a day 1 spill, and I had a headache. That plus I don't have "hair one." Anyway we headed out. Tom stayed behind to visit the bodies he has previously buried in the desert.

Mountain Time (taken on return from Rome)

So we get to Rome. I have a bacon cheese burger. It was fantastic. While eating lunch we see two planes taxi in and pull up to the gas pump. It was so cool we took a picture.

What wasn't cool is that they sucked the pump dry. We got 6 gallons between 5 bikes.

Owyhee Ride Report click

Mikey113 screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 01:07 AM
Old 05-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #5
Mikey113 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2 continued

We had under estimated the distance from Rome to the Three Forks. When we saw this sign we realized that the only way to do the ride would be to back track to Jordan Valley after we saw the Three Forks. That'd be 300+ miles and back to camp after dark. "F" that. Rome was out of gas but not beer.

Back to the Rome that was built in a day, maybe two.

Coming soon, the exciting return trip from Rome.

Owyhee Ride Report click
Old 05-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
eyesprocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Cool trip all, the hot springs at three forks are awesome.
Past the camp ground, to the end of the road, hot spring water fall spilling out through an old stage coach road bed.
Rome, best burgers in the world, my Mom actually used to live there.

Cheers!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
Looks good out there!

What date did you start your ride? I am going to be based in DJ for a week next month. Return to Nevada! I am planning to run High Rock Canyon on one of the overnighter loops. Missed it last year due to a locked gate followed by a navigational blunder.
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,452
Nice pics.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Mikey113 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesprocket View Post
Cool trip all, the hot springs at three forks are awesome.
Past the camp ground, to the end of the road, hot spring water fall spilling out through an old stage coach road bed.
Rome, best burgers in the world, my Mom actually used to live there.

Cheers!
We didn't make it to those springs due to Rome being out of gas but it was a heck of a trip. +1 on the burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Looks good out there!

What date did you start your ride? I am going to be based in DJ for a week next month. Return to Nevada! I am planning to run High Rock Canyon on one of the overnighter loops. Missed it last year due to a locked gate followed by a navigational blunder.
We left last Friday the 18th and finished on the 20th of May. High Rock was great. If more time allowed we would have checked out the Soldier Meadow Springs. Diamond Inn is a good place to get a drink.

Owyhee Ride Report click
Old 05-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Mikey113 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More of Day 2

After we left Rome, we headed back through Burns Jct. If the station there hadn't closed we could have completed the intended trip. It is important that we all throw a few bucks to these remote stores and stations. Hopefully it is enough to keep them open and keep us riding.

Creepy little bunny on the Burns Jct station

If you insist

The scenery back at camp

Brian's tire: he got his money's worth out of that D606

Back in camp we met two guys from Ontario, Oregon. Steve and Casey on a DRZ400 and KLR650. They were later than us to Rome and had to ride back 45 miles to Jordan Valley for gas. WTF. Bummer. We passed them a couple beers to soften the arse pain of 90 miles of slab for nothin'.

Owyhee Ride Report click

Mikey113 screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 06:20 PM Reason: added more photos
Old 05-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Mikey113 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3

Day 2 stats - 180 miles or so out and back to Rome. Day 3 started with another wake up. We broke camp early and headed back to Nevada. Brian, Russ, and I planned to get breakfast in Denio Jct and we got a head start on Pat and Pete. Back to Nevada.

Now I never do the picture of food thing but I made an exception here. All three of us ordered the chicken fried steak, it was gaa-oood! It kept me going all day long (not so good).

A "managers meeting" in Northern Nevada

My worst gas mileage of the trip was from Denio to Adel on slab. Winds and wide open throttle limited the KLX to 50 mpg. Acceptable, I guess.

I broke off from the Klamath crew in Adel and went south to California. The other guys slabbed it but I found some dirt.

Lots of North American Pronghorn Antelope

Up to Fandango Pass, I met some retirees from Northern California who were impressed with my story. I shared a beer courtesy of them and they took a picture for me. I found one lone flower on the ride.

Interesting a rail car overturned and was left on 395 about 20 miles north of Alturas.

Speaking of "lone flower" I had promised my wife I'd be home by 5 Sunday night so we could watch the eclipse. I made it home at 5:30 after about 230 miles or so. Trip totals for me - 640 miles on the bike, another 260 in the truck. The Klamath guys easily covered 700 miles. It was a great trip. I have been wanting to do a ride report for a while and have learned that these are just as much work as the ride. Off to plan the next trip. Suggestions welcome.

Owyhee Ride Report click

Mikey113 screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 07:20 PM Reason: Finishing touches
Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 710
Good report. I never get enough of that part of the West. So what Springs were you at that first night? Thank, Joe
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
Mikey113 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
Good report. I never get enough of that part of the West. So what Springs were you at that first night? Thank, Joe
Willow Creek Hot Spring off White Horse Road, halfway between Fields-Denio Road and HWY 95. We base camped there. Free camp plenty of room. Pools are in good shape. Watch for snakes.

Owyhee Ride Report click
Old 05-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Nice report 113, are some of the roads you were travling on part of the Oregon Discovery Trail??( Its really not called that, I cant remember the correct name). Now you have got me wanting to explore that area.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,452
Thanks for the pics.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote