ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #49216
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
Let me tell you all the epic tale of Maggie vs The Young Buck:

So there I was, out enjoying a spirited ride through the Hocking Hills. Having just run the length of Big Pine from 56 to 664 and back (what a fun road that is) I was on 56 east of Laurelville, just cruising at the speed limit, when this jumped out in front of me:

I had time to think "SHIT!" and reach for the brakes. Dont think I even got them applied when the impact happened. I exited the vehicle to the left while it carried on to the right and onto the berm.

Thanks to the the value of good gear and an ATGATT attitude, I was able to walk away from the wreck with only some bruises and scrapes on my hands (shoulda been wearing the better gloves). Maggie took significantly more damage than I did, but she still starts up and runs, while the deer is lying dead along side rt 56 as we speak. So I'm scoring it Maggie 1, deer 0.

As a result of this event, Maggie has aquired a new name and is now known as Maggie Deerslayer. I was able to recover both antlers which shall be mounted on the bike to go along with her new name.

BTW, anyone got a headlight lens for a V65 Magna laying around?
Wow, glad you are ok Shawn!
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 08:31 PM
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #49217
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,507
thanks for the kind words...I'm a little sore now, expect to be a lot sore tomorrow...

looks like I'll need to work some OT to pay for some new gear. All three pieces (helmet, jacket, pants) took some rash damage...I'll get some pics tomorrow.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #49218
TdubOhio
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Hey Tdub. Forget about the past 1000's of pages. What's done is done. You'll want to check in here often from here on though, and you'll find plenty of folks wanting to ride at different days/times/places.

The closest known 'trails' are at Perry APV area, outside of Somerset. More often for us (on dual-sports); playing on old and forgotten roads (which can be degraded to the point where they are harder/funner than true trails). To find these hidden gems, you'll want to start coming on group rides. There are two common starting points; Laurelville down southeast, and Danville to the northeast.

I'm riding this Thursday if you're interested. Probably leaving mid-morning (10am?) and returning around 6pm, but that's all flexible.

I know the tw200 bike, but I'm not to sure of it's capabilities, can it cruise at 60-65 mph on country roads?

Howdy Mike, thanks for the reply (and to the other folks that replied, too)
Yeah, those "forgotten roads" are probably really what I'm looking for more than anything else.
Been in Cbus for 6 years or so, but I've pretty much been a city boy in my time here, so I'm woefully unfamiliar with much outside of the 270 loop. Actually live right downtown.
Back home in NE Ohio/W PA, I could get lost for days in the woods out there.

Thanks for the offer for riding on Thurs, but I have an exam at OSU I suppose I'll need to show up for around mid day.
I also got off the bike today to intense nerve pain in my elbow/forearm... worried I may be developing some kind of Tennis Elbow in the clutch hand. It was a mess all day, and I best give her a rest for a few days.

Keep me in mind if a group ride comes up, though, if you don't mind.
The TW can cruise comfortably at 60-65. Might sound like she's screaming bloody murder, but it's all for show...
Much over 70 and we may have a problem, though, lol.

On a side note, my hillbilly band will be playing one of Ohio's best music festivals in a week or so, if any of you Southern Ohio folks are interested.
http://www.appalachianuprising.net/
We go on right before The Dave Mayfield parade and Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder on Friday night.
Good time out in a beautiful So Ohio holler... I'd take the TW, but I got too much gear to haul.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #49219
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,035
Quote:
As a result of this event, Maggie has aquired a new name and is now known as Maggie Deerslayer. I was able to recover both antlers which shall be mounted on the bike to go along with her new name.
Wow, sounds like we need to start calling you lucky! Not many have a run in with a deer where they kill it without major injury themselves. Sounds like there was an angle on your shoulder. I know I'd still be wiping the brown from my ass if that happened to me.

Glad you survived, "Lucky". Hope you can walk tomorrow.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #49220
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Wow, sounds like we need to start calling you lucky! Not many have a run in with a deer where they kill it without major injury themselves. Sounds like there was an angle on your shoulder. I know I'd still be wiping the brown from my ass if that happened to me.

Glad you survived, "Lucky". Hope you can walk tomorrow.

thanks Chris...I'm gonna be way sore tomorrow, I can already tell

left big toe, right ass cheek, both shoulders and probably a couple other places that havent revealed themselves yet...right now I'm treating the pain with ibuprofen and beer

btw, I dont believe in luck...it wasnt luck that I was ATGATT...and being geared up is what saved my ass from a much worse fate.

so what we've learned from all this is GET GOOD GEAR AND ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR, PEOPLE!

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
Old 05-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #49221
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,035
Quote:
thanks Chris...I'm gonna be way sore tomorrow, I can already tell

GET GOOD GEAR AND ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR, PEOPLE!
Words to live by. As for being lucky, well. I'll take luck anytime. Even with atg hitting something on a bike is bad. A little luck isn't a bad thing when combined with gear and skill.
Consider my accident. I had good gear, good skill and bad luck. Bad luck sucks, so take the good luck when you can.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #49222
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Consider my accident. I had good gear, good skill and bad luck. Bad luck sucks, so take the good luck when you can.

fair enough

Old 05-24-2012, 03:08 AM   #49223
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdubOhio View Post
On a side note, my hillbilly band will be playing one of Ohio's best music festivals in a week or so, if any of you Southern Ohio folks are interested.
http://www.appalachianuprising.net/
We go on right before The Dave Mayfield parade and Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder on Friday night.
Good time out in a beautiful So Ohio holler... I'd take the TW, but I got too much gear to haul.
I've always wanted to hit that festival. Let us know when you play anywhere there are a bunch of us here that like to take in music and ride bicycles. Sounds like that motorcycling thing is dangerous. Still trying to track down swingset and his band.

Sion

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer

dragoon screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 03:19 AM
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:12 AM   #49224
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
I was able to walk away from the wreck with only some bruises and scrapes on my hands
Ouch! Glad you walked away.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #49225
Alacrity
Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer: 468
Sion:

Anything you walk away from.....etc. I"ce got some extraneous gear I can let go very reasonable some gratis. PM me
Old 05-24-2012, 04:43 AM   #49226
bikeneil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
sion, that sounds like the ultimate TAG to me Glad you didn't have any more serious injuries.
bikeneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:53 AM   #49227
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,564
Damn Sion I'm glad you're okay. If it's any consolation it appears the deer may have been drinking.

Quote:
I fully expect to be taken out by a deer some day, hopefully I'll be as lucky as you were. It's just one of those things you have no control over.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #49228
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacrity View Post
Sion:

Anything you walk away from.....etc. I"ce got some extraneous gear I can let go very reasonable some gratis. PM me
+1.

What size melon you have, Sion? I've a Signet GT you can have if it fits and you don't mind wearing someone's old lid.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #49229
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Damn Sion I'm glad you're okay. If it's any consolation it appears the deer may have been drinking.
Sweet tea out the nose and onto the keyboard.....Thanks Jim.

Glad you are OK Shawn.

Too many of those pretty rats.

If the Ohio DNR didn't consider them a profit center there would be a lot less of them. Since they want to have ownership and control over the exploding deer population I think we should push for legislation that we can charge the DNR for property loss due to accidents with deer.

Rant off.......too many of my friends have had collisions with those things!

Lol....now we know.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #49230
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,462
Sucks man. But glad you are mostly okay.

I'm presuming you have liability only insurance? If so, double check that you don't have animal collisions on there; through Geico our policy covers animal strikes, theft, and fire on the basic liabilty package.

I have a old Firstgear Kili I wear on dual sports, it's got some life left in it - XL; and a Scorpion EX400 XL, you can borrow them long term if you want... but I would need them back.
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote