User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,129
Trailering a Ural ????

For as long as ive owned the Gear Up ive wanted to take it out to the two track a few hours north of me. Because its a Ural and because it gets abused and because it will get even further abuse once in the woods..... I would really rather trailer it up and back as opposed to relying on it after the fact....

Finding the "right" trailer for is easier said that done.

Reccently im looking hard at a 3 place trailer similar to this ...

Positives:

The two outer rails are right in line with the Ural's wheels... bike one rail... sidecar in other rail..

Weight capacity isnt an issue (1600lbs)

Questions:

Will the Ural crush this thing????

Even though total weight isnt an issue.. I wonder it the weight distribution of the Ural (much heavier on bike side) will be an issue and the rail will bend or snap or implode

The loading ramp(s) are another slightly questionable issue......

I know its a streeeeeeeeech.... (or maybe not??) but does anyone have experience trailering the Ural with this setup????

Thanks,
-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
pfestus1
Slasher

Oddometer: 604
Toad,
That trailer would probably work fine. I don't own one like that, but have borrowed one, but not for my sidecar rig. I found that the tounge is short and makes backing difficult.
I own a flat bed trailer, 5.5' wide by 9' long. It has tie down rings in the floor situated so I can strap over the sidecar frame between the bike and tub and sinch it down. Then a couple of other tie straps for redundancy. One advantage of this type trailer is it also hauls other stuff, like building materials, trash, etc.
Lets see if this will post from Facebook:

(not my rig, but similar to my BMW / Dnepr rig, and your Ural )

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
simmonsk133
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
If you are worried about balance, see if your ballast will go with it in sidecar.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. The trailer will not be a problem. But pfestus1 makes a good case for a multipurpose trailer.
I hualled a BMW sidehack years ago on a 3 railer. Wrapped around bottom of wheels and rails to secure. We have long since gone on to general use trailers ourselves. Not enough space to collect trailers and bikes.
Emjoy...
simmonsk133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,334
Stronger is better....for your Ural too

I have made most of my trailers & enjoy adding to regular production trailers.
The biggest issues I have w/ most trailers is their wheels are to small & frames are to light.

What ever you settle on, consider your investment of a trailer a further investment in your cargo.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Ivan Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
I've trailered my Urals from the West Coast to Ohio and back twice so I've got some experience. I have used a modified 3 rail trailer and a flat bed without issues. I have Harbor Freight loading ramps which I re-enforced with 2x6 planks. They wanted to bend with me on the bike while loading. From the looks of the trailer in your photo it looks like the rail is on top of the frame so you shouldn't have any problem there. Just make sure your left ramp will hold you and the bike and you should be good to go. You may want to test load the bike and see if you have too much weight behind the trailer axle.
'10 Ural ST Solo
http://www.flickr.com/photo s/ivanrider/
Ivan Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 767
I just commented on SS and I wanted to post the same here. How would it be different if it was just a flat decked trailer. Besides it would weigh more than it does now. I say go for it. Drive down some bumpy dirt roads so you can watch it close. See what it does. Go around some curves and see what it does. I think it would be just the same at the other trailer pictured in the thread.... I don't know just my simple reasoning thought process.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #7
pfestus1
Slasher

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Rider View Post
I've trailered my Urals....... You may want to test load the bike and see if you have too much weight behind the trailer axle.
Thats a good point, Ivan, weight distribution. It appears to me that the rail under the bike will be too far rear-ward and indeed more weight will be behind trailer axel. I imagine you can swap the center rail for the left rail, that would move the rig forward some and ad to tongue weight. I've had a trailer loaded with too little tongue weight, and at 45mph-ish it started fish tailing all over the place.

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,129
Thanks

thanks for all the replies and input.

still not 100 sure one way or the other... some say.. "no way".. some say "ok"..

I think the only real issue may be the tongue weight issue... which is certianly an issue.

the fact that im towing with a 4cyl Ranger means I need to keep the trailer weight itself as low as possible... if that werent an issue.. a 6 x 10 flatbed would be a better option..

thanks,
-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
I've trailered my combo on a 4 x 8 multi-use trailer (850TAB) with an addition attached outboard behind mudguard to support the chair wheel. The rig was skewed slightly to position the front wheel closer to the trailer middle-line, to avoid having too much weight off to the tug's side. The motor needs to be infront of axle for 60/40 weight distribution.

Weight of rider was too much for loading ramp. Best to have the trailer axle in a ground channel so that its possible to load up by either pushing outfit, or to hand control it while walking beside. Wet weather causes too much tug wheelspin on ramp anyhow, so pushing is preferred!

Oh, and towing it all was a 1800cc Front W D (4 cyl) Hyundai. But if I was starting all that over again, I'd go for the 8 x 5 957TC trailer instead.

vortexau screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 10:54 PM Reason: late addition
vortexau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #10
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,118
Consider finding a trailer with a torsion axle setup. The folding Kendon's use this and reports say that loading one bike on a 2 rail Kendon has no ill effect on handling. A rig would be even better.
I converted a camper trailer from leaf spring to torsion, it was much smoother, less bouncing. Check out Dexter Axles.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote