Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #76
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
When he got home that night around 1am, i told him what happened, and after some thought, he said f - it and f - him and so we headed downstairs and lifted the engine into the storage hall, and by around 2am i hastily started work on the engine again...

Ive come to accept Daniel's stance on this build, he'll come over once in a while and tell me if ive forgotten a washer here or a spring there, but essentially he wants me to do it myself... At least he got to do a big clean out of his storage space...

Sometimes I feel a bit like Karate Kid and he's mr Miagi (ep 01) where id be getting frustrated and pulling my hair out thinking damn it would be soo much easier with a bit of help ... but by the end of it ive learnt something invaluable havent i ..
MagneticSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #77
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Around 5ish? i had put the engine back together, we started to put it back in the frame...

What a night by the morning we got it looking like this..

Just enough to wheel it out on the street and work on it by myself again
Old 05-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #78
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Sweet! I bet you are tired. The inside of that engine looks in nice shape, I'm always amazed with those old bikes.
"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #79
JLAW3000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quick Question

Was it running well before you tore it down?

Looks like all you have to do is get'er put back together and filled up! \

Man I love SOHC motors...
JLAW3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #80
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 05-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #81
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,645
In. If/when you come through TJ, beer and tacos on me.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #82
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Showstopper?????

Uhhh Ohhh... need answers asap!

Ok, so i went to do a valve adjustment this morning and found out one of the valves were way off...

to tighten to spec 0.05mm i would have to tighten the adjuster all the way up without a tightening bolt..

this is what the right hand intake valve looks like correctly adjusted

after looking on in disbelief and scratching my head yet again, i went and checked out the top cover of another head and found out the intake rocker bit with my thumb on it, must have been up when the cover went on...

Sooo my urgent questions because, i actually have to leave the USA on Saturday because of my visa... Overstaying is not an option...

1. Can i open up the cover with the engine in to rectify this f/u?

2. Can i ride the bike with only 1 intake valve working like this from LA to Tijuana and sort it out when i get there?

If the answer to question 1 is no... i dont have the time to take the engine out.
If the answer to question 2 is no... sadly i will have to switch to plan D

Plan B - ride my cb750 to mexico and hope they will let me back into the US to sort out the XL after a month or so... (bit reluctant to do this in fear they wont give me another visa)

Plan C - ride my cb750 SOUTH thus abandoning my optomistic xl600 project... (dont really want to do this, i want to take my XL)

Plan D - you dont want to know my plan D !!!

Like i said, i have to make my decisions fast because i have to leave this Saturday... with or without the XL

Any suggestions and advice asap would be welcomed..
Old 05-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #83
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagneticSouth View Post
Sooo my urgent questions because, i actually have to leave the USA on Saturday because of my visa... Overstaying is not an option...

1. Can i open up the cover with the engine in to rectify this f/u?

2. Can i ride the bike with only 1 intake valve working like this from LA to Tijuana and sort it out when i get there?

If the answer to question 1 is no... i dont have the time to take the engine out.
If the answer to question 2 is no... sadly i will have to switch to plan D

Plan B - ride my cb750 to mexico and hope they will let me back into the US to sort out the XL after a month or so... (bit reluctant to do this in fear they wont give me another visa)

Plan C - ride my cb750 SOUTH thus abandoning my optomistic xl600 project... (dont really want to do this, i want to take my XL)

Plan D - you dont want to know my plan D !!!

Like i said, i have to make my decisions fast because i have to leave this Saturday... with or without the XL

Any suggestions and advice asap would be welcomed..
1. yes. Pull the carb and intake boot and the cover will slide out to the rear with some jiggling.

2. Probably but I wouldn't.

I'm in TJ and I have an XR650L. I know these motors really well. I just put my B motor back together a few days ago. I don't have time to drive up to LA today or tomorrow, but if you can get to San Diego tomorrow, I can take you down to TJ in my van, you're welcome at my place until the bike or visa is sorted. I have spare parts if you need anything also.

phone # -> six one niner, 240 2 4 0 2. Call me if you need anything. Let me know by tonight if you need my van. I'll drive it up tomorrow.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #84
EmilianoXR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post

I don't have time to drive up to LA today or tomorrow, but if you can get to San Diego tomorrow, I can take you down to TJ in my van, you're welcome at my place until the bike or visa is sorted. I have spare parts if you need anything also.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #85
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Let me know by tonight if you need my van. I'll drive it up tomorrow.
Very cool.
States left to ride: MI, WI, MN, ND, ID, NV, OR, WA, AK and HI. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #86
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
but if you can get to San Diego tomorrow, I can take you down to TJ in my van, you're welcome at my place until the bike or visa is sorted. I have spare parts if you need anything also.

phone # -> six one niner, 240 2 4 0 2. Call me if you need anything. Let me know by tonight if you need my van. I'll drive it up tomorrow.
Plan B in effect - Ive started packing, put the XL in storage, getting the ol' CB750 fired up for a culture shock, im headed south to meet up with Jeremy in San Diego, should be having my first Mexican Cerveza bout this time tomorrow...
Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #87
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone that can give recent border and visa advice for or an Australian on a ESTA visa waiver.

Importantly - where can i get an Exit stamp - need proof of leaving the US before my visa runs out...

How long is enough time to try return..

MagneticSouth screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 07:00 PM
Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #88
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagneticSouth View Post
Plan B in effect - Ive started packing, put the XL in storage, getting the ol' CB750 fired up for a culture shock, im headed south to meet up with Jeremy in San Diego, should be having my first Mexican Cerveza bout this time tomorrow...
See you tomorrow. See if you can find some XXXX up there.....
Old 05-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #89
JesperDenmark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
See you tomorrow. See if you can find some XXXX up there.....
This is cool guys, advrider helping out.
But wouldn't it be better to somehow bring the xl to san diego and put it in the van to mexico and work on it there?
Maybe this is not possible..
JesperDenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #90
Emile
+

Oddometer: 104
good one beechum1 +++

mr. south,

you could have pulled the cover rotate the little thingy back in place and put it back on no problem at all

put the flywheel on T take the ting off and put it back with the flywheel on the T mark.

no worries about the seal, take the silicone off and put the metal seal back with new silicone.

but I believe you are already on your way ??

have fun!!!!