Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #12916
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
Difference between tubeless vs tube tires is huge... also available front tires (and their profiles) can be a big difference - as an example, I ran a Anakee2 100-90/19 H rated (bias ply?) and hit the side wear bars in 2.5k. Replaced with an Anakee2 110-80/19 Z rated (radial) and I'm now at 4k with barely noticeable wear. Not to mention that the sidewall tread on the narrower tire was much more limited.

However if you're a real scratcher, the non-XC has pretty crappy ground clearance.... seriously, it's worse than my previous Harley (XR).
Umm. Really? I ride with a Daytona 675, a Daytona 955, a Hypermotard 796 and a couple Aprilia's. I don't have any problems in the corners keeping up with them. I have caught the end of the sidestand a few times but I also have a bigger pad on it than stock.
Maybe I just hang off more than most?

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #12917
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
So you've had good luck with bike bandit? Their website says Triumph parts take an extra 10 days. I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks!
BB can get Tiger 800 parts, but the parts catalog is not yet on their site. You can find it below. Put it in your cart, then click on the part to the the Triumph Part number: http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...odel_id=560040
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #12918
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
BB can get Tiger 800 parts, but the parts catalog is not yet on their site.
It is on the site for a while now.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #12919
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
It is on the site for a while now.
You are correct. My mistake.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #12920
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin1 View Post
Umm. Really? I ride with a Daytona 675, a Daytona 955, a Hypermotard 796 and a couple Aprilia's. I don't have any problems in the corners keeping up with them. I have caught the end of the sidestand a few times but I also have a bigger pad on it than stock.

Jim
+1 on that.

Jerry
Old 05-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #12921
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Got my Madstad screen installed yesterday. Good quality stuff here, and a breeze to install. I could of used this on my trip to Flagstaff, did 1,200 miles - 75% of the time in horrid wind.

UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #12922
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

Jim
Or maybe you have to ride to Georgia to find a corner? The only time I got to ride twisties in Fla was at the race track in West Palm.

Off roading was good practice for learning sand riding. I had a Husky 5 speed Auto, a hoot in Sugar Sand.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #12923
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Got my Madstad screen installed yesterday. Good quality stuff here, and a breeze to install. I could of used this on my trip to Flagstaff, did 1,200 miles - 75% of the time in horrid wind.

Never saw anybody set one upright like that. I should think you might get some buffeting with the screen being so far away from your helmet.
I rake mine at just a smige more upright than the black plate for speed (touring) runs, same as black plate for local riding.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #12924
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:

Jim
We all know riding has less to do with the bike, than it does with the rider. I ride a lot of tight technical stuff where the best bike would probably be a <500cc super motard, and I do get my butt off the seat. Over the last decade, I've owned a R1100S, R1150GS, WR250X, XR1200, and T800. Only ever touched hard parts down on the last two bikes, and most frequently on the Tiger, and I'd argue that I've been slowing down (getting old). Weighing in at 150lbs, I've always set my unladened preload to <25%.... on the Tiger, I'm starting to bump that up to 30-45%... not ideal as the rear starts to feel too stiff vs the front.

To say it has less clearance than a "Harley" may seem like a cut.... but the XR was one hell of cornering demon - here's a typical tire off that bike Clicky.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #12925
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I understand precisely what you mean. I used to be more or less regular at track days and motorcycle track school and I also own an SV650 with aftermarket suspension for my 160lbs frame.
I definitely have to get off the bike (T800) more than I do on the SV to avoid scrapping. The front is soft and I have to avoid braking hard before a turn, which is a good thing for street riding anyway. I also noticed that my hands get fatigued because I hold on to the bars instead of leaning over to them, like you do on sport / sport touring bikes. I am known to be an aggressive street rider and most experienced riders on sport bikes have to pay attention following me whether it be on the Tiger or SV.

I did increase preload to about 20 clicks (4 lines showing) out. More than that, and it’s start getting too hard for my weight.

Rode about a 1000 miles on the bike this weekend and overall I am very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
We all know riding has less to do with the bike, than it does with the rider. I ride a lot of tight technical stuff where the best bike would probably be a <500cc super motard, and I do get my butt off the seat. Over the last decade, I've owned a R1100S, R1150GS, WR250X, XR1200, and T800. Only ever touched hard parts down on the last two bikes, and most frequently on the Tiger, and I'd argue that I've been slowing down (getting old). Weighing in at 150lbs, I've always set my unladened preload to <25%.... on the Tiger, I'm starting to bump that up to 30-45%... not ideal as the rear starts to feel too stiff vs the front.

To say it has less clearance than a "Harley" may seem like a cut.... but the XR was one hell of cornering demon - here's a typical tire off that bike Clicky.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #12926
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
Yep. Don't know why I skipped that one from Bike Bandit in my search. Does everybody else just buy straight from the dealership?
I have been running stock and uni pre filter. there is another company that makes one but i can't remember the name. its three letters. tdr, drt, ..... something like that. I can see it in my head.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #12927
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dave View Post
Wow. I like that blue. I would have gotten that I think over the orange had it been available.

For the US folks, where are you finding the best pricing on the K60's??
I get mine from Engle Motors in Kansas City.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #12928
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
i have been running stock and uni pre filter. There is another company that makes one but i can't remember the name. Its three letters. Tdr, drt, ..... Something like that. I can see it in my head.
bmc?

http://www.pureperformancecycles.com...1-Tiger-800-XC
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #12929
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
yep! BMC
Old 05-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #12930
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I get mine from Engle Motors in Kansas City.
Do they usually keep K60's in stock or do they order them for you? If they are stock I'm going to stop in for a pair next time I'm in town.

'12 800 XC
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote