drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
\
I want to come!!!
Come on out! We can show you west coast guys what mud is like

Supports a great cause to, all funds raised from this ride go toward the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
http://newengland.cff.org/trailride
Old 05-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #1413
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,529
I got this video of some chic Mike was talking to in Cabo.

Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #1414
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
I edited together a little of my footage from the first three days... I meant to turn the camera on half way through day 4 and record the finish, but I forgot after I fell off.

roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #1415
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,224
So I never found out what happened to Antonio and Brock's bikes?
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #1416
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
I am overdue for a call to Antonio. I want to know the story too.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #1417
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 687
[QUOTE=roadracer;18772336]I edited together a little of my footage from the first three days... I meant to turn the camera on half way through day 4 and record the finish, but I forgot after I fell off.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #1418
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
I edited together a little of my footage from the first three days... I meant to turn the camera on half way through day 4 and record the finish, but I forgot after I fell off.

I really enjoyed your vid, thanks!

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #1419
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
I really enjoyed your vid, thanks!

My fav part is where you drop your GPS and go back to pick it up!

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #1420
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Antonio was nice enough to save me on day 2 when my front wheel failed so I spent much of day 2 riding in the truck with him and Phil. They were on the phone with a shop in the US asking for advice on Antonio's bike. Sounds like a fuel injection issue and the shop suggested trying to clean the injector. Evidently they never did get it going though since I didn't see them on day 3 or 4.

Later in the day as we were nearing the stage finish to meet up with Brock we got a call on the sat phone... his engine had sized

So, we had to unload my bike and Antonio's bike (to get weight off the truck) and they went back on the stage to rescue Brock. Since their truck only holds 2 bikes I had to find a new way to Loreto (thanks Kay!) and this was the last I saw of them. Sounds like with both bikes broken they just decided to head home.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #1421
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,990
Roadracer, excellent vid. I didn't get a chance to see the stages to that was quite nice.

Anders
Old 05-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #1422
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Day -1 of the Mexican 1000

April 28 2012, Saturday
This morning was very slow. And that was OK by me. I took point at the pool again, and Aaron and Mike soon followed. We took our pool bath and laid out like we had nothing to do. Just like that.

A woman and a young girl came out to the pool. The young girl sat on the edge, and told the woman that the water wasn’t cold. I told Liliana not to believe her because Uma was clearly only interested in getting in the pool. Short while later, another woman and young girl came down and joined us. Yadira and her other daughter Zoe were joining the fray. I had an enjoyable conversation with the women for a while, both of them from Venezuela and now living in Tijuana. After a bit, I excused myself, partly because of the sun, and partly because I was hungry, and went back to camp. Being the day before the race, it was time to start getting serious.

I first needed to go to Sorianas to get some clothes and skin lotion. The burn was more severe than I’d imagined, despite the towel wrapped around my head and back. Though there were no blisters, I couldn’t wait to treat. My legs got the most sun because I wasn’t able to cover them. When we got back from our supply run, it was time to work. I had to find a trailer for our trailer, and get my maps ready for the chasing. I, of course, had no idea what to expect so my map study was purely academic. As far as my next 4 days would go, the only thing I was doing by looking at a map at this point was memorizing definitions, which would be nearly useless as the days progressed. The real challenge would be keeping up with these east coasters in the friggin desert. And they didn’t know how to ride sand…. Pfft.

It wasn’t much work, but I had to ask several teams if they had room, and if they were headed to Bay of LA. Some were dropping the trailer here in Mexicali, and shipping the truck back, some were going to different points along the route. I found a truck team that had a trailer big enough for us to load ours to get it at least down to Bay of LA we pulled it over, loaded it up and I checked that off the list. Cory, Spencer and Bruce were very helpful and I couldn’t thank them enough; in fact, I didn’t. ON my list was to get them a 12 or 24 of beer at one of the stages, but we almost never saw them, and there simply wasn’t enough time to go buy it, and runaround and look for them…. I had hoped to get them to carry the trailer further, but it would be a crap shoot if I were to ever see them anyway. As you’ll read at the end of tomorrow, just finding the trailer on day 1 was a challenge.

During the trailer escapade I’d walked several times back and forth through the pool area where the two lovely women I’d met earlier were still. Having the kids play in the pool and being able to think about nothing for a bit was quite relaxing I tell you, I don’t blame them. During one of my passes Yadira mentioned that she may want to go out when we get back to TJ. I did her one better and asked if she wanted to go out to eat that night before we left. She accepted and as happy as that made me, I still had work to do before dinner, so I wasn’t able to enjoy it quite yet. Additionally, I didn’t have room to take a shower, or clean clothes. But again, I had work to do first. The trailer.

Loading the trailer wasn’t difficult, only that ours was a inch too wide so we had to put the trailer in the trailer at an angle, which only made the tie down a bit weird but we figured it out. We’d later see that ours would rub through the lattice on the folded up ramp of theirs… again, something that I was not able to rectify with beer…

That being out of the way, and ultimately, only packing the car for me, and bike and gear prep for them, the only other appointment was the riders meeting. I had mentioned to the ladies about the meeting and that I’d no idea when we were going to get out, but they’re on vacation too, so it didn’t matter. I changed into some shorts I’d bought earlier and we all moseyed to the bull ring for the riders meeting. A little bit of beer along the way had made me tired, combined with the sun and running around in the sun I was starting to get really tired and a bit hungry. Real food would have to wait, but we’d get a few tacos at the bull ring to tide me over. I was excited to go out with a pair of beautiful ladies, it’d been years since I’d done so, but the sleep monster was bigger than I could manage. I had to take a nap while we waited for the meeting to begin. I wish I could say what really happened, but most of what was said, was about the tracks the riders were about to take, and going back to the map study, I still had no idea what was about to happen. I wasn’t about to tell Mike and Aaron that though, I had to provide the strong front like I knew what I was talking about. If they only knew.

Walking back I was now onto my next task. Figure out where the F I was going to shower. Mark (BajaDad) invited me to use his room. I didn’t even have to put out to get access. I had my shower kit and my own towel, combined with the pants and shirt I bought earlier, I was ready for my hot date. I showed up to their room earlier than I should have. We’d agreed earlier to be ready in 30 minutes. I had no idea what time I’d said that, nor what time it was now, so I just went. They needed a few more minutes to get ready so I waited in the lobby. We went to a simple dinner at Sanborne’s. I had a great time, and my belly was full. I couldn’t ask for more. Except that the pants I’d bought would have fit me. F…. I was in skinny jeans for almost an hour and I was SOOO glad to be able to change when I got back to the squatters corner. An unfastening of the top button was all I needed to get started changing as I was walking back. The shorts went back on, as did the t shirt and the jeans and button up shirt went into the bag I was using for dirties.

We finished the night with some beers, BS’ing and went to sleep at a reasonable hour. On Aaron’s recommendation, I’d gone back to the pool to get one of the chairs to sleep in. Turned out to be the best sleep in the last 3 days. +1 for Aaron.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #1423
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

great stuff Jeremy, keep it coming!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #1424
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

T-0, April 29, 2012, Sunday, Race Day

This morning I have my chase face on. I’m here to do a job and that’s get to the agreed upon points for fueling. We’ve all woken up, the bikes are ready, the gear is ready, and in squatter fashion, we wreck the lobby bathroom with our pre race S. We’re consoled only by the fact, that we’re very certain, we weren’t the only ones. My boys are ready to go. It’s 5:29, and they’re going to go to the bullring for the 6:00 start. First and only electrical gremlin of the race. Mike’s bike wouldn’t start; the battery was dead. We immediately go into OD and get out the spare battery, jump it, and he takes off to the start. I repack the spare battery, get in the car… and wait. I’m following Cory out of MXCali and through the entire stage in case his race truck breaks down, and they need to dump the trailer.

I spend a little time walking back and forth, watching the bikes and trucks and buggies leave for their start and the excitement of being part of this race wake me up right away at 4:30 and will keep me going all day. A slow 3.5 hours later, cory and I leave the parking lot of the Hotel headed south to San Felipe. I’ve done this on my XR650L over a year ago, by myself at 4 in the morning, andI ran out of gas 5 miles out of SF, but that’s a story for another time. Being at least a little familiar with the roads, I was concerned about the construction that we may run into headed down south. On that ride, to the SF250 in “O’leven”, there were several points along the way where the construction would detour traffic into the ditch. Yeah, they just graded the ditch, laid down some dirt, and sent us down there to get around. It was a great time on the XR. The element would have been ok. There were no detours this time and luckily, because little did I know my op tempo would be lacking to be able to keep up with the two east coasters in the Mexican dirt.

As we were leaving Mexicali, Cory took a wrong straight, that is to say, he didn’t take the turn he should have. I had to catch up and tell him, we got back on track and headed south. Along the way I had to stop at a Calimax to make some bathroom and try to find some scissors for roadbook editing. Oddly, I didn’t. Find some scissors. The rest I did though. I jumped back in the element, which I’d been calling a truck for several days, because in fact, I wanted to build its confidence for what I imagined was about to happen to it. I described the element to a friend of mine as a cross between an SUV and an Accord. With the vehicle height taking after the Accord. I began driving at a reasonable pace, but something soon got into me, perhaps familiarity with the truck, perhaps a notion of things to come. But I was quickly driving 80 down the MX5. It was one of the more boring parts of the 4 day drive that I did, but I was still amped on excitement, so it wasn’t a problem. Additionally I had XM radio, so I wasn’t to be bored the entire trip. I figured Cory had 20 minutes on me, they may have been driving quickly or slowly, I wasn’t sure but I thought I was about to catch them coming up to “la ventana,” which is the section where the MX3 and the MX5 meet.

I did a drive by of the pull off where I thought they would be waiting for me, but didn’t see them. I kept going to the checkpoint. Upon further review, I decided I should have stopped back at the pull out because the course took a right turn onto the 3 back towards Ensenada. As I got closer to the checkpoint, I just wanted to turn around as quickly as possible. I asked if I could do so, but I was told to go through the checkpoint. I understood why, but it didn’t make me any happier. Approaching the search area, I got more and more miserable, because I was about to have problems, I just knew it. Despite my ability to Jedi mind trick these people.

The first question I was asked was where was I going. I said I’m in the race, but I need to get back to the pull out area. “Why?” “Because that’s where I’m supposed to meet the truck.” “What truck?” “What are you doing, writing a book, do you want his name and social security number? I need to get back there, you going to let me or not?” “Please step out of the vehicle so we can search it.”

I got out with my face scowled and my arms crossed, and I would have been looking at my watch, had I been wearing it. I so despise these kids and their authority to waste my time. I was told to move along, I jumped back in and quickly did a u-turn to head back. Fearing another search, I made sure that I was seen making the turn and headed back north. As I pulled into the turnoff I noticed an orange bike with yellow number plates. Holy S. He made it here THAT friggin fast. It was Mike. I did a u-turn, popped the rear hatch, grabbed the fuel jug and topped him off. He took off to the course, and I placed myself at the race with the hatch to the rear so aaron would recognize the stickers.

In only a few minutes time, Aaron pulled into the pit. I fueled him up, realized I had somewhere I needed to be and blasted off to San Felipe. Pulling into town, I saw the first Pemex and remembered again, running out of fuel on the XR. After fueling up the truck, and the two jugs just to make sure, I went in to get a pack of smokes and a recharge on the Telcel. It was made clear to me not to smoke in the truck and I didn’t the entire trip. I jumped back into the truck, and headed south again, as I would for several days. Coming up on the end of the 2nd stage, I wanted to stop and ask if someone knew how to make phone calls from my MX Celly to another MX celly. A few minutes later we figured it out and I was able to call my cunado Jesus. The brother of the mother of my girl. I told him where I was and that everything was of course OK, and that I’d call later. I was unable to the entire rest of the day, however. Between cell signal the story that follows Special Stage 3, you’ll understand why.

Driving through San Felipe, I remember about the year past, when I watched the 250. Going to the field at the turnoff, just up the road from the D1SS2ASS, to watch the cars do 120 down the straight. I really didn’t know where I was going, but following the crowd seems to be right way to do things. Unfortunately, being the first two bikes AND vehicles on course, there weren’t many chase trucks in front of me, for now. That would soon change. The dirt portion was coming up. In fact, it was just ahead.

As I pulled into the SS3DSS, I saw Mike getting a little rest, a little water, and a little interviewed. He came running back when he saw me. I splashed his tank, he looked at his time and got the F onto stage. As Mike was gearing up Aaron was pulling in. I couldn’t believe the times these guys were putting down. They were newb’s and first on stage the whole day.

The 60 miles form SS3DSS to SS3ASS were fun. Tranquilo aun. Driving a Honda Element down a dirt road, but not just a dirt road, a sandy road, a mountain road. I had so much fun, but the fun wasn’t without some scars on the truck. I’d later see at the mechanics in Bay of LA just how much fun it was. During the 4 hour drive I’d be driving over loose rocks, rocks in the ground, sand, rocks in sand, rocks turned up from the trucks, rocks tumbling on the ground from the trucks, every one of which, I managed to hit. I’ll spare the boring 4 hours of driving, as there wasn’t much happening except for two things. I stopped at Coco’s Corner, signed in the book, bought two t-shirts, and continued on my way. The second is a small two seater came up behind me, with another truck behind him. As I’d done many times already that day, I pulled over to let these guys come by. The truck passed the buggy, and the buggy came to a stop behind me. I got out to see if they were ok, and they were, but there was an electrical problem with their car. I stayed with them until they got running again, knowing I couldn’t offer much in the way of support, but I had supposed the company would help them stay focused on the job at hand. It turned out to be simply a loose connection, as these problems usually are. They taped down the fuse block, put the car back together and I left them to zip it up and I left. A few minutes passed, and I didn’t see them, so I could only guess they hadn’t fixed the problem completely, but knowing that they knew where he problem was, I didn’t feel compelled to go back and help them.
4 hours later, I completed the stage. A few hundred meters more and I was at the road. Solid road, with pavement and smoothness. It was wonderful. I did a cursory walk around on the truck and didn’t see anything I needed to worry about. I had about an hour or more to drive to Bay of LA, so I didn’t waste any time, because I knew my guys were waiting for me to get service and clothing changes done. A half hour outside my destination I pulled over to make some more bathroom and as I walked around the back of the truck, I noticed the splatter on the tailgate. It looked like oil. I hadn’t seen the engine oil warning light go on, so I was ok there, I thought. I crouched down to see what I could see, and there was something leaking quickly from the rear of the truck. I thought it was gas at first, and was frightened, because as I’ve mentioned, I thought I had to be nearly the last vehicle on the course. I pulled forward, gathered a bit of the fluid on my fingers and smelled it. It was more like transmission fluid, but it was leaking from the back, so figured it must be the rear differential. Doing the math, being one of the last vehicle in course, I had to go for it. So, I put it in gear and got it done. I thought that if I have a failure, there’ll be someone along, sometime, that I could get a message into town with. That was my worst case.

Pulling into town, behind a DRZ that I would see many times again, I of course didn’t know where I was going, or where to meet my guys. I made it into a hotel parking lot, found Vestal and asked if he knew where they were. He didn’t. Minutes later, after doing my own search and returning to the parking lot, Mike pulled in on the bike. I immediately gave him the good news/bad news routine. He said, I’m to handle the whole in the differential and off I went. I had to find some brake cleaner, a rag, wire brush, JB weld, and a jack. I found all of them eventually and got the whole patched. The Wire brush from Andy Grider, the brake cleaner, rag and jack from Vestal, and the JB weld from a truck that pulled up next to me in the parking lot with their own set of problems. One of the JB weld tubes and punctured and the black was all over the inside of the zip lock baggie. Not to be deterred, I accepted it as is, mixed it up and applied it to the diff. I had barely enough, but I filled the whole, and covered an entire ˝” around it to do my best to ensure a good bond. I really didn’t want to have to do this again. I also had to find some oil. Mike mentioned a mechanics place down the street, and on the bike I went. I found some 90wt gear oil, and it was just going to have to do. I didn’t have the tools to get the diff open to fill it up though, and I knew that, so before I left I asked him what time he closed today and opened in the morning. 6am he said. I made sure to ask if that was 6am Mexican time, or real time. He said, 6oclock sharp. I had to believe him. I didn’t have a choice.

Now I was onto the task of finding the trailer, but in the midst of all this, I still had to get the truck over the hotel where we were staying, and we all had to have our gear and supplies for maintenance and showers, and roadbooks etc. It was a bit harrowing in its own way, but eventually it all got done. I took the bike searching for the trailer. Several hotels downtown, the beach side of the road and hotels just outside of town, turned up nothing. The only clue I had to where our trailer might be was that they were staying a few miles north of the airport. Looking at a map of Bay of LA, there was only one road they could have been down, and it was getting dark, and I was in shorts and flip flops, but I was on a mission from God. But I forgot the cheeze whiz. Driving down the road, I wondered how far they could really be out of town. I came across a campground, and entering with a super loud motorcycle, I didn’t want to do, but I had to. The trailer was missing still. The trailer was still missing when I left, but I’d managed to find Andrew, who we’d drank with Friday night. I asked what the deelio, he explained that his bike was OOS and asked if I’d seen Doug (DRC42), with the Massachusetts plates on the trailer. I remembered seeing the plates, but at this time, I couldn’t remember where. I told him if I saw him I’d let him know.

Heading back to the hotel, I decided to take another lap through the finish and surrounding hotels to find the trailer, and now, Doug. Entering and exiting a handful of hotel parking lots and making laps and noise throughout, I thought I was going to give up on the trailer, when just then….. I saw the chase truck with the trailer in the trailer. I parked in front of the truck, and went walking to find Bruce or Cory or Spencer… someone. Only a few seconds later, Cory came walking back up to the truck and finally. My search was over. Except for Doug. He would have to wait though. With the trailer finally back in the parking lot, I was able to rearrange the truck and trailer, and relax. Finally. I was very wound up though, and remembered about andrew and his broken down bike, I asked Mike and Aaron if they’d seen Doug. The pointed to the last room on the first floor. Oh yeah, that’s where I saw the trailer. When I left the hotel the first time on the bike.
I explained where Andrew was, and after a short gear arrangement we went for him with the truck and trailer. Arriving to the campground, andrew was still outside fiddling with his bike. A short time later, with the bike and the spare motor loaded on the trailer, we returned to the hotel. But there was still maintenance and arranging to do before we could sleep.

At nearly midnight local time, we were able to go to the room and lay down. I needed to take a shower because of the running around and laying underneath the truck. Only a few seconds into entering the bathroom, Mike was snoring. He must have been really buggered out after that fast first day. I however wasn’t able to relax just yet. The lack of water pressure didn’t allow the toilet to flush, so another wrecked toilet, and the lack of water pressure AND hot water didn’t allow for a relaxing shower. I was still able to clean up though, and quickly went to sleep with my phone and headphones. The snoring hadn’t stopped, and wasn’t about to I didn’t imagine. Finally. Rest. And all I was doing was driving.....
Old 06-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #1425
LC Garage
On Any Sunday