Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #1156
PNWRider
Live an Adventure!

Oddometer: 27
Remote

Hey craftycoder,

I was wondering if you have an update on the remote you are developing for your app?

Thanks again for all the time you are putting into this project!
-Ryan
PNWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #1157
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,215
The machine shop has gone silent on me. I need to contact them and find out what's going on. I asked them to make me another prototype to work out a few kinks and to speed up the process on their end so that its cheaper for them to produce. The sad truth is that the only part of this I cannot do myself or "add to cart" is the enclosure for the remote. Unfortunately it also seems to be difficult to get it done. I can throw money at the issue but that doesn't make a lot of sense, since there is almost no profit in this. I'm trying to make this happen but I am relying on the good graces of other's to do so. When you do that, you do so on their schedule...

Trust me, I want this off my list of things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWRider View Post
Hey craftycoder,

I was wondering if you have an update on the remote you are developing for your app?

Thanks again for all the time you are putting into this project!
-Ryan
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #1158
onewheeltwo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Custom POIs?

Maybe I missed it, but POI seems to be a four-letter word to the search engine.

Can you upload Custom POIs, say from poi-factory.com or others?

Looking for things like coffee shops, and red light cameras.
onewheeltwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #1159
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The search engine is just pretty useless all around. I use google and add "site:advrider.com" to the search if I want to search the forum. Works pretty well.

On the topic of POI, you cannot upload your own POI directly to the app, but you can add them to OpenStreetMaps.org and they will eventually filter down into the app. If you have some specific waypoints you want to add though, you can just go to the dualsportmaps.com and add a bunch of waypoints to a custom map and put that on your phone. I have a map that has waypoints for all the USA's hot springs. I can just turn on that map as layer and they show up on the map.

http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=100674

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeltwo View Post
Maybe I missed it, but POI seems to be a four-letter word to the search engine.

Can you upload Custom POIs, say from poi-factory.com or others?

Looking for things like coffee shops, and red light cameras.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #1160
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The search engine is just pretty useless all around. I use google and add "site:advrider.com" to the search if I want to search the forum. Works pretty well.

On the topic of POI, you cannot upload your own POI directly to the app, but you can add them to OpenStreetMaps.org and they will eventually filter down into the app. If you have some specific waypoints you want to add though, you can just go to the dualsportmaps.com and add a bunch of waypoints to a custom map and put that on your phone. I have a map that has waypoints for all the USA's hot springs. I can just turn on that map as layer and they show up on the map.

http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=100674
Ooooooo How do I download that map and will I have any room for anything else? Would be great to break it down by state...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #1161
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Ooooooo How do I download that map and will I have any room for anything else? Would be great to break it down by state...
It's not a large file or anything. Because it doesn't have any tracks on it you cannot download it to the app in the traditional way (the search mechanism within the app looks for tracks not waypoints). You need to go to the website and download the GPX file and then email it to your phone and open the attachment within your email program with DSM. That works with GMAIL anyway. You can also put the file the phone directly and open it with DSM that way.

I linked to the map above so you can find it easily enough. Also, if you use the text search feature on the website you can search "hot springs" and find it that way.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #1162
muddy udders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Thanks

Crafty,
Just wanted to say thanks for the time and effort you have put into this app.
I was in need of a new GPS and stumbled on this thread yesterday. Didn't take more than an hour of reading and I downloaded the app and haven't looked back.
I have uploaded a couple overlays of OHV areas and have made a loop using the online software then downloaded it to my phone and now my dedicated Droid X GPS.

I have a few more loops to get made and tested then I will open them up for the public.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!!!!

PS:I am only at page 44 but still reading

Muddy
muddy udders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #1163
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

My pleasure amigo.

I went to high school in Sebastopol. Where are you calling home in Sonoma County?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #1164
muddy udders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post

I went to high school in Sebastopol. Where are you calling home in Sonoma County?
Small world!!
Santa Rosa.

A question: When you cache tiles for a route and have cached an adjacent route that shares some of the same tiles do you end up caching some tiles multiple times or does the program know what you already have?
muddy udders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #1165
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy udders View Post
Small world!!
Santa Rosa.

A question: When you cache tiles for a route and have cached an adjacent route that shares some of the same tiles do you end up caching some tiles multiple times or does the program know what you already have?
I am an SRJC alumnus. Back when it was $6 a unit or $72 a semester whichever was cheaper. The good old days (of the 90s).

Your answer is that is done in the smartest way. You never download the image twice or store it twice. I do put the image on the list of things to download so it will go on the list of files to grab (and on the file count) but I check if it exists before I actually do the download so bandwidth and storage are not impacted.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #1166
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 310
Map caching

On the subject of caching - I know you can cache map and/or satellite images that surround your tracks but I've been trying to cache areas I plan to visit but don't have any tracks there. So far I've just been scrolling around the area and zooming in and out and that seems to cache the tiles.

Is there a way similar to downloading vector maps for specific regions?

BTW, HTC just released Andoid 4.0 for my Sensation phone and I upgraded - seems to be working fine. Will DSM always be OK with the latest software or should we check with you first?

Thanks
Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #1167
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I use a Google phone so I always get the latest version first. Since this is what I use you can be pretty confident that it will work. No doubt someone in the future will quote me on this and I'll be wrong....

Your other question has been asked and answered many times. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=467

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
On the subject of caching - I know you can cache map and/or satellite images that surround your tracks but I've been trying to cache areas I plan to visit but don't have any tracks there. So far I've just been scrolling around the area and zooming in and out and that seems to cache the tiles.

Is there a way similar to downloading vector maps for specific regions?

BTW, HTC just released Andoid 4.0 for my Sensation phone and I upgraded - seems to be working fine. Will DSM always be OK with the latest software or should we check with you first?

Thanks
Bob
Old 05-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #1168
inspectorpacket
back in the saddle again.

Oddometer: 232
device not compatible

Galaxy Nexus (Google experience phone) Android 4.0.4 Build IMM76F

Is there plans to support this config ?
inspectorpacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #1169
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

How so? I run a Nexus S with the latest built just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorpacket View Post
Galaxy Nexus (Google experience phone) Android 4.0.4 Build IMM76F

Is there plans to support this config ?
Old 05-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #1170
inspectorpacket
back in the saddle again.

Oddometer: 232
taking this to PM
inspectorpacket is offline   Reply With Quote