Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #11281
goran e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Evo i ja napokon završio svoje kofere pa evo kako izgleda moj ručni rad...

(Powered by frubar.net)
goran e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #11282
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,221
pannier frame question

I'm looking for some pannier frames. I quite like the SW-motech design that can be clipped off when not needed, but they seem to be same design as Hepco-Becker and Touratech- not symetrical and designed for two different size panniers.

Anybody know of symetrical pannier frame kits out there please? (i.e. they need to be same distance from the centr of the bike on both sides)

I won't be using them with hard luggage- only soft luggage

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #11283
RiderMakis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
There are two options.
1. You will need frame with cut at the exhaust pipe side. So both panniers will be equal.
http://holan.pl/en/product/24/148/16..._Africa_RD07_A
OR
2. You need to modify your exhaust pipe.
http://holan.pl/en/product/24/148/16...r_Honda_Africa
Old 05-26-2012, 03:55 AM   #11284
Squily
Squily

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderMakis View Post
There are two options.
1. You will need frame with cut at the exhaust pipe side. So both panniers will be equal.
http://holan.pl/en/product/24/148/16..._Africa_RD07_A
OR
2. You need to modify your exhaust pipe.
http://holan.pl/en/product/24/148/16...r_Honda_Africa

Thanks Makis, but there is also the option of just building the left side further out to match the right side. I have done this before and space inside is ideal for a tooltube.

I like the link though- I've not come across this website before

Squily
Old 05-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #11285
Squily
Squily

been busy today

Coming together. Still need to do a few small things. Well, actually some are biggish, but let's not confuse a good story with facts

Ready to take to the pits for scrutineering on Monday. Still have to paint, and I'm busy on the bash-plate (waiting for rubber grommets) and will take it in to fit the aftermarket pipe on Monday, but slowly...

Trying to get wiring sorted out:

All in:

The end product of a few days work:

And I managed to get a better closeup of the tailpiece

Squily
Old 05-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #11286
Mika_AT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Little jump on cross track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a55b77wCz6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyA6XDYe1uo
Mika_AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #11287
Squily
Squily

best laid plans of mice and men...

I've received some constructive critism regarding the crashbars through PM's. Thanks. Always helpful and welcome. However- I have to say that you are looking at an unfisnisehd project. Let me explain...

We have lots of sand down here. Oodles and Oodles of sand. Sand so fine, it squeek's when you drive/walk on it. Course sand. Red sand, white sand, brown sand. Loose sand and not so loose sand.

I've always struggled with the AT in the loose stuff in its previous form/setup. It was just too heavy, and the setup was not supportive of the ride conditions. E.g. the hard panniers were too wide (even though they are the same width as the handle bars) and got snagged by the bushes on the tracks. And your feet keep getting 'sucked' in under the panniers when walking it through some obstacles, mostly accompanied by some bad words and pain after I have extracted myself from under the bike/panniers.

So with this rebuild, I am trying to make the bike better suited to my current riding conditions. I.e. loose some of the excess weight, make it narrower, and move some of the weight off the front wheel. BUT...

A singilar problem with crashbars in sand- when the bike goes over, they disappear into the sand, and the fairings take the brunt of the impact. This generally results in cracks in the panels, normally just below the air-intake. So the idea is to try and fit some skid-plates to the frames to prevent this from happening. I am no good at this, but herewith an artist's impression:

I also want to add some additional support for the higher part of the fairing. These should also function as lift handles and drag handles (yes- sometime you have to drag the bike over the sand when it is tired and want to lie down for a sleep). The plates themselves will be allu plate. I will try and cut some 'strategic' holes for airflow, as well as appearance. Off-course, there are some problems- that is a lot of silver plate on the side of the bike and it may clash with the 'paint-job', but it would be senseless to pain them, as they will get very scratched, very quickly.

Also- practically speaking- you want as big/wide an area as possible for maximum floatation on the sand, but too big, and it looks crap. Hopefully I can find the balance. Or else, practicality will over-rule looks, as I do intend to ride it and not look at it.

But thanks again for the comments and words of encouragement. Keep it coming

Squily
Old 05-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #11288
gpmucci
gpmucci

Oddometer: 228
Ciao, just some photo the last work I did for a friend:

You could find more photo on Fb under my name Mucci Gian Paolo.

Inviato dal mio HTC EVO 3D X515m con Tapatalk 2
gpmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #11289
miketa
n00b

Oddometer: 4
miketa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #11290
Squily
Squily

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmucci View Post
Ciao, just some photo the last work I did for a friend:

I love the bash-plate. You make any for the RD07?

Squily
Old 05-28-2012, 02:39 AM   #11291
raoulserban
vrrummm

Oddometer: 99
hy! i and my friend are organizing the 3rd Africa twin Meeting in Nadrag-city Romania. it is the 6th at meeting in romania and we are welcoming everyone who wants to come. The meeting is hold in the 1th,2nd an 3rd of june! the camping is on site so a tent is required.
last year we had a lot of fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U397_qb03nc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDQHevuX1Vo

ohh, and i would like to present my friends madmax AT. he worked a lot on it. it was a nonfunctionable bike and now it is built from 4 crshed at's. i helped him with this and that
raoulserban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #11292
dwdufour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I melted an indicator this weekend. What did you do?

I can't tell whether it's because of the pannier rack I installed (thus moving my muffler a little higher) or the carb cleaner I was running through the tank (does anyone know if that would cause higher temp exhaust?), but I definitely melted the living **** out of an indicator on my RD03.

In true Honda style, the indicator was still working.

It's also running a bit rich, I've adjusted the pilot screws to 2 and 1/8 turn, but I'm still getting a bit of black smoke when I get on the throttle, any ideas?
dwdufour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #11293
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,560
My freaking side stand gave up! Just as I parked outside the bank doing some chores today, I took it out and proceeded to descending only to realize that the bike didn't stop where it should but kept on going until crashing on the ground...

I managed to stay out of its way and when I picked her back up, I noticed the side-stand was facing towards the front (90 degrees clockwise further from where it should be..

It has failed at the top, right below the bolt.

Would you recommend getting a used one or welding the trashed one?

I admit that I didn't treat the side stand very gently but I believe it's kind of rare to get that, especially on a 2000 model...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #11294
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdufour View Post
I can't tell whether it's because of the pannier rack I installed (thus moving my muffler a little higher) or the carb cleaner I was running through the tank (does anyone know if that would cause higher temp exhaust?), but I definitely melted the living **** out of an indicator on my RD03.

In true Honda style, the indicator was still working.

It's also running a bit rich, I've adjusted the pilot screws to 2 and 1/8 turn, but I'm still getting a bit of black smoke when I get on the throttle, any ideas?
Dirty or clogged air filter...main jet too large of has come loose...float level too high? Choke plungers stuck? I suppose too much carb cleaner in the tank could cause a higher exhaust temp and smoke. Maybe time for mini indicators.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #11295
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
My freaking side stand gave up! Just as I parked outside the bank doing some chores today, I took it out and proceeded to descending only to realize that the bike didn't stop where it should but kept on going until crashing on the ground...

I managed to stay out of its way and when I picked her back up, I noticed the side-stand was facing towards the front (90 degrees clockwise further from where it should be..

It has failed at the top, right below the bolt.

Would you recommend getting a used one or welding the trashed one?

I admit that I didn't treat the side stand very gently but I believe it's kind of rare to get that, especially on a 2000 model...
I would buy a new one.