User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #46
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
on to Yellowstone Park and the Beartooth Pass

Day 7, July 9, 2011 saw me heading off from Belgrade, and down Hwy 89 to Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone Park. I rode through the great stone archway at the north entrance.

The great stone arch built in 1872. I've been to Yellowstone Park several times, but never to Mammoth Hot Springs, so I spent some time viewing the pools and terraces and unusual formations.

I rode higher and higher into the Beartooth Pass:

I stopped for coffee and a snack in Red Lodge, and continued on to the Beartooth Pass, elevation 10947 feet. I was excited to be riding this famous road, but it was SO WINDY at the top, it scared the daylights out of me! The wind would come in intermittent gusts, blasting me from the side. I pulled over at one spot to take a picture. I was afraid to let go of the bike, knowing it was parked the wrong way around and might blow over. The wind died down for a couple of seconds, and I raced to the rail to take a picture, and back quickly to grab the bike again.

I had arranged to meet my friend Zigy from Boulder in Red Lodge. Riding down the main street I saw him riding along and we set up camp at the KOA.

We had originally met on the side of the road in a snowstorm west of Yellowstone a few years back, and so we enjoyed catching up and making dinner.

Before going to sleep I lay there thinking to myself "I've got to ride back over the Beartooth AGAIN in the morning!" Zigy did say the wind was not so bad in the mornings.....

Day 8 July 10, 2011 This was going to be a LONG LONG day in the saddle, but what fun it was.
Who IS this weird guy I'm riding with?

And so we headed up the Beartooth Pass....

Zigy was right, the wind was no problem at all in the morning, and I thoroughly enjoyed riding this AWESOME road!

Cariboostrom screwed with this post 06-03-2012 at 11:53 AM
Cariboostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #47
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

a surprise visit with Spirit and Ara!

We stopped for awhile after the summit, and saw this interesting vehicle

I spied a CanAm Spyder (Canadian made) in the parking lot too.....When I'm too old to hold the Strom up, I'm going to get a Spyder, bright red, and roar around town in it!

We continued riding down Hwy 296 towards Cody. Riding along we passed a motorcycle with sidecar parked alongside the road....something looked vaguely familar......we turned around and went back....guess who we met relaxing in the grass beside the road under a tree?
Ara's wonder dog Spirit!

I have been following Ara's blog the "Oasis of My Soul" for a couple of years, and here he was in the flesh... I'm so glad we stopped and had a chat.....you do meet the most interesting people on the road!

Highway 296 is a pretty awesome road also with some good switchbacks

As we continued down and turned on to Hwy 120 to Cody it got hotter and hotter and hotter.... time for a cool restaurant and some lunch at Buffalo Bill's Irma Hotel.

Cariboostrom screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 09:19 PM
Old 05-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #48
azwheelin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Great pictures! Cariboostrom, I have a lot of respect for you to embark on this journey. I wish you all the best of luck and if you find yourself in Phoenix let me know and I'll have a bed, beer and garage waiting. Thanks again for bringing us along on your adventure.
azwheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #49
vstromrcflyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Great Pictures

Hi,
Just saw your post on Facebook, these are GREAT stories and pictures!

You have a great part of the world to ride!

Mike
Old 05-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #50
houndawgg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboostrom View Post
When you say "it's a lot harder for a lady for obvious reasons"..... so what exactly ARE these reasons?
The only thing I was referring about, is the danger every woman faces anywhere. The sicko's who might prey on them.
I'm not referring to mechanical problems, tip overs, or any other macho/gender reason. I don't ever remember hearing or reading of a man being assaulted or raped, maybe robbed, we're all subject to that.
houndawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #51
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstromrcflyer View Post
Hi,
Just saw your post on Facebook, these are GREAT stories and pictures!

You have a great part of the world to ride!

Mike
Hi Mike,
In 2010 I was in Australia and rode a rented BMW 650 around Cairns and to Daintree, Mareeba, etc. Write up in my previous ADVRider report...great area to ride in!
Danielle

Cariboostrom screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 08:33 PM
Old 05-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #52
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndawgg View Post
The only thing I was referring about, is the danger every woman faces anywhere. The sicko's who might prey on them.
I'm not referring to mechanical problems, tip overs, or any other macho/gender reason. I don't ever remember hearing or reading of a man being assaulted or raped, maybe robbed, we're all subject to that.
Yes, there are always sicko's out there, but we can't stay indoors safely all the time and let them win can we? That said, I did one time feel uncomfortable camping alone in a small remote provincial park campground. However, as someone said, if a weird-o came by my tent and saw a V-Strom parked outside, would they think there was a woman alone inside? Probably not! Thanks for your concern though houndawgg.
D.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #53
houndawgg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
I did one time feel uncomfortable camping alone in a small remote provincial park campground. D.
I often think of a verse from John Denver(I think the song was Poems, Prayers, & Promises), he sang, "I spent a time or two out on my own". I didn't really think about it much till I started backpacking alone and camping in the Catskill Mts. in the mid 70's. It was then I realized his message.
Most people are herd animals and as your sig states, never live. To overcome one's fear/fears, is what makes life, worth living.
Have a safe ride, and keep grabbing all the gusto you can.
houndawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #54
alekkas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:

This really is a beautiful part of the country to ride and one of my favourite areas of British Columbia.

I met this interesting guy, Peter, at the rest area on this road. He was riding an old 1978 Suzuki 400, which he has restored. I asked him where he was going to camp and he said he was going to look in the bush for a place, and he hoped there wouldn’t be any bears….quite the character. I like people like that. At the same place were a bunch of beautifully dressed out Gold Wing riders, three of them, and they politely said hello, but that was all. Sometimes simple is just best....

Boy, his left shoe really tells the story doesn't it? Bet the wingers didn't have those types of marks on theirs....

Great report, thanks for posting.

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #55
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alekkas View Post
Boy, his left shoe really tells the story doesn't it? Bet the wingers didn't have those types of marks on theirs....

Great report, thanks for posting.
I'm laughing....you're so right about the wingers. I never noticed his shoe before....it tells the story for sure. He was SUCH an interesting guy with great values! My first road trip out years ago I had a sleeping bag wrapped in a black garbage bag tied on with a bungee cord too!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #56
scubasmith67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Great pictures!!

Great pics and a great ride! YOU ROCK!
scubasmith67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #57
alekkas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
I'm laughing....you're so right about the wingers. I never noticed his shoe before....it tells the story for sure. He was SUCH an interesting guy with great values! My first road trip out years ago I had a sleeping bag wrapped in a black garbage bag tied on with a bungee cord too!

Absolutely! Back in 87 I took my first ride across the country. Note the tarp rather than plastic bag, thank you! Your report is great!

BTW, the old white shoes showed the marks. These days I have my 15 year old wine red Doc Martens. Doesn't show quite as much ....

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #58
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 422
you truly are an inspiration !

I just bought a 2012 wee strom, I sure hope that we make even half of the miles you and yours has. I do kind of envy school teachers (summers off) who like to ride though!
Thanks for the great report and photos!
I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it." - John Steinbeck
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #59
cyclone67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I always enjoy your ride reports! Excellent as usual. And I'm so jealous you got to meet Ara and Spirit, what luck!!
cyclone67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #60
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,806

That's pretty darn cool. Stopping to visit with people along the way bring many wonderful surprises.

I chuckled when I read about the sleeping bag in the black plastic bag. Things have sure changed over the years as far as what's available for packing gear on motorcycles. It's all fun but the days when you used what you could find and made due with black plastic bags has to be fun memories.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote