Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #91
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
What does the water system in Tombstone have to do with solar power?
I guess you have a problem with logical progressions.

The same idiots that are claiming we're all gonna die of SUV poisoning, that oil is gonna kill us, are the ones who are SHUTTING OFF Tombstone's water.

They LIE. And they want us living like veal calves. In pens...unable to move freely; unable to make our own choices of how we want to live.

Quote:
After doing a bit of research on the Toom Town water problem I suspect you get your information from World Net Daily, a far right wing version of the National Enquirer. No wonder you are reluctant to name your source.
A personal slur would fit here. I'm not putting it in because I don't want a banning.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...s-lawsuit.html

I suppose the local papers and web pages are lying, too.

Since all the Alphabet Network nooze-readers and the Clinton Nooze Network aren't talking about it...it's either not happening or it's not important. Right?
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #92
thumpty dumpty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
thumpty dumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #93
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
How much did all that idiot junk cost?

Compared to three gallons of gasoline, which would be selling at two dollars a gallon if we'd go use our own crude for it.
Just show me how your "three gallons of gasoline" is going to keep YOU mobile in a non-renewable fashion over the course of SEVEN years. That's ALL you have to do to prove your argument. So?

Have you locked your gas-cap shut, and filled-in the keyhole, too?
Quote:
Sometimes, "possible" and "practical" are two completely different things.
While at other times its simply just a person is just looking at his feet, and is not prepared to examine anything contrary to their own views. Still, you have many companions in this restricted form of thinking:

Believers in Flat Earth Not About to Change Minds

Quote:
Global warming? Somewhat controversial. Evolution? Even more so.

Still, there's one well-founded scientific notion that everyone can agree upon: The Earth is round, like a ball.

Right? Well, maybe not. The BBC reports that the Flat Earth Society, thought to have been crippled by the death of its leader in 2001, is still hanging on, somewhat bemusedly.

"People are definitely prejudiced against flat-Earthers," Tennessee-based computer scientist and society member John Davis tells the BBC. "Many use the term 'flat-Earther' as a term of abuse, and with connotations that imply blind faith, ignorance or even anti-intellectualism."

But, Davis and his fellow "anti-globularists" insist, their beliefs are based in scientific fact.

vortexau screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 08:02 PM Reason: separating quote sources
vortexau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #94
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
After 7 pages it's pretty clear that many scooter riders are riding to save the planet rather than for fun. I guess I'm in the minority on that topic, at least in the scooter forum.
As soon as you greenies find the global thermostat, you can convince me that humans have the ability to control the weather here on Earth.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #95
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by topless View Post
After 7 pages it's pretty clear that many scooter riders are riding to save the planet rather than for fun. I guess I'm in the minority on that topic, at least in the scooter forum.
As soon as you greenies find the global thermostat, you can convince me that humans have the ability to control the weather here on Earth.
I seriously doubt that ANYONE can convince someone who's convinced he's correct on the subject that city-volumes ("a city of a couple of million people" (your words)) of electricity can not be 'stored' , . . or really kept available for a period subsequent to its generation, . . . because batteries are the ONLY method available, and that there is not enough battery capacity available.

Really? You know of no method to keep a generated capacity for later, other than batteries? No hydro dams in the US? None at all?

Grid energy storage

Quote:
As of March 2012, pumped-storage hydroelectricity (PSH) is the largest-capacity form of grid energy storage available; the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) reports that PSH accounts for more than 99% of bulk storage capacity worldwide, around 127,000MW. PSH energy efficiency varies in practice between 70% to 75%.
I would suppose from your direction of thought that you are not convinced that human activity has contributed to the deterioration of the ozone layer, either?

Ozone depletion

Quote:
Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and other halogenated ozone depleting substances (ODS) are mainly responsible for man-made chemical ozone depletion. The total amount of effective halogens (chlorine and bromine) in the stratosphere can be calculated and are known as the equivalent effective stratospheric chlorine (EESC).
You're using emotive and misleading words! i.e." . . . convince me that humans have the ability to control the weather here on Earth."

Whatever is occurring, its clear that humanity is not controlling the weather (i.e. we're not in control, or we might be lessening the damage for less-disasterious effects). Still, its obvious to anyone who can see further than their own feet that human activity is contributing to changes.

Last 50 years were Australia's hottest: study

Quote:
For the first time scientists have provided the most complete climate record of the last millennium and they found that the last 50 years in Australia have been the warmest.

The researchers from Melbourne University used 27 different natural indicators like tree rings and ice cores to come to their conclusion, which will be a part of the next United Nations intergovernmental panel on climate change report.

The findings show that no other period in the last 1,000 years matches the temperature rises Australia and the region has experienced in the last 50 years.
Quote:
"Nothing is absolutely certain in science, but we say with very high confidence because we have repeated the analysis alone for the uncertainties that the warming in the last 50 years is very unusual and very likely cannot be explained by natural climate variability alone," he said.

Dr Gergis says the scientists have minimised the variability in their model by crunching the data 3,000 different ways.
So maybe YOU live on a different planet but as an Australian citizen I've known (for close to sixty years) that the world I'm living on is called "Earth", and for the greater part of those years that this planet is the one subject to large scale human activity.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #96
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Who would have thought such an innocent little giggle sticker would create such a storm.

I'm on night watch and a bit bored, so read the whole thread........shite, that's 10mins of my life I'll never get back!

I rekn put the original sticker back on man.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #97
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Don't know on that. But I don't give a shit about all that and I ride my scooter because I can and I enjoy it. Yes some ride it cause o that bullshit but its just shit. Screw all this y'all we's gonna run out of gas soon so why is them boys so worried about it?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #98
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
I seriously doubt that ANYONE can convince someone who's convinced he's correct on the subject that city-volumes ("a city of a couple of million people" (your words)) of electricity can not be 'stored' , . . or really kept available for a period subsequent to its generation, . . . because batteries are the ONLY method available, and that there is not enough battery capacity available.

Really? You know of no method to keep a generated capacity for later, other than batteries? No hydro dams in the US? None at all?

Grid energy storage

I would suppose from your direction of thought that you are not convinced that human activity has contributed to the deterioration of the ozone layer, either?

Ozone depletion

You're using emotive and misleading words! i.e." . . . convince me that humans have the ability to control the weather Mhere on Earth."

Whatever is occurring, its clear that humanity is not controlling the weather (i.e. we're not in control, or we might be lessening the damage for less-disasterious effects). Still, its obvious to anyone who can see further than their own feet that human activity is contributing to changes.

Last 50 years were Australia's hottest: study

So maybe YOU live on a different planet but as an Australian citizen I've known (for close to sixty years) that the world I'm living on is called "Earth", and for the greater part of those years that this planet is the one subject to large scale human activity.
It's a good thing you live down under,cause your head is so far up ur ass you die of exphixiation up here.
Hydroelectric isn't stored electricity, it's stored energy. Big difference. Once the water is run through the turbine (and fish are killed) and electricity is generated its either used or lost. There is no method known to man to store large amounts of electricity. If there were, we could catch lighting and store it.
I told you my son has a degree in Enviromental Biology. So, part do what I've learned over my almost 60 years is from him, not some website that is for tree hugging idiots. FYI, freon is heavier than air, so explain how it goes into the upper regions of our atmosphere and depletes ozone, when in fact when leased it falls to the ground?
There is no question man did some activities that had unforeseen consequences, but I consider it a case of over blown ego to think man can radically change the Earth's Eco-system in the few short years of our industrialization. No doubt we can affect a portion of it, but not the entire planet. The planet has survived a lot of things far beyond our little pile of poop. The last few years we've seen earthquakes massive enough to shift the Earth's rotation. Nothing man has ever done can do that, and it affected the weather more than freon.

Until you can explain a subject without copying and pasting, I'm not wasting anymore time with the likes of you.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #99
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Don't know on that. But I don't give a shit about all that and I ride my scooter because I can and I enjoy it. Yes some ride it cause o that bullshit but its just shit. Screw all this y'all we's gonna run out of gas soon so why is them boys so worried about it?
They're not.

They want OTHERS in a panic. So that we do something stupid; like give the government limitless power to "deal with" the "crisis."

Yes, wise solons like...like a Congresswoman from Marin, CA or a Congressman from M-ass...or dozens of others, who can't even PASS A BUDGET in four years' time...are going to make it all better for us.

Kiss your car goodbye. Kiss your air-conditioning goodbye. And your annual vacation trip. And your savings. And your MONEY...the way the Federal Reserve is printing up dollars out of nothing.

But we gotta do SOMETHING!! We're running out of OIL!!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #100
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
They're not.

They want OTHERS in a panic. So that we do something stupid; like give the government limitless power to "deal with" the "crisis."

Yes, wise solons like...like a Congresswoman from Marin, CA or a Congressman from M-ass...or dozens of others, who can't even PASS A BUDGET in four years' time...are going to make it all better for us.

Kiss your car goodbye. Kiss your air-conditioning goodbye. And your annual vacation trip. And your savings. And your MONEY...the way the Federal Reserve is printing up dollars out of nothing.

But we gotta do SOMETHING!! We're running out of OIL!!!!

While it's true we's running out of oil, it ain't no time soon I don't think. Them science boys say we's running out but it'll be quite some time, likely not in our lifetimes.

Also, it ain't like we's gonna just say ok, all them oil is gone! One day, its a very slow, and also they's just gonna increase prices to unafforadble to 90%+ of the population.

And they'll come up with alternatives in the future. Batterys are worthless to me. They can't make a fucking scooter with electricity capable of more than a few hundred miles. And for the price of them with a top speed of 55 MPH I can buy a nice used Sportster.

Also there heavy, and EXPANSIVE to replace!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #101
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Various agenda-driven agitators have been babbling about "running out of oil" since we discovered the liberation of inexpensive liquid high-yield fuel that is oil.

And every year there is MORE, not less, known recoverable oil.

This is an engineered crisis. Right now we have more recoverable oil in the United States than in the Arab sheihkdoms. It took a radical no-growth anti-prosperity government to make roughly half of it inaccessible through prohibiting drilling or recovery...even in such pristine, beautiful places as ANWR.

Ever been to ANWR? Of course not. You couldn't go there if you wanted. THERE IS NOTHING THERE.

It's an ARCTIC DESERT. We could test nuclear weapons there and never feel the effect of what desolation resulted. If we don't allow ourselves to recover oil THERE...then the only conclusion is, our leaders and decision-makers want us oil-starved.

And it was oil that freed the common man. It gave him transportation; heated his home without the dirt and work of shoveling coal; it automated drudge tasks. There were a hundred men on the Titanic whose job was to SHOVEL COAL - today a cargo ship sails with a crew of about a dozen in all.

What is being done; and what lies are being told about it, is nothing short of maniacal.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #102
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Quote:
. . .

Gee, what's the proof? It's HOT...In AUSTRALIA! In the SUMMER!

What a surprise, that! Never happened before, hey? The Outback was a veritable lush Garden of Eden before all this Global Warming.

Unfortunately for the parrots, I know better. BEEN to Aussieland. . . .
You may be an all-time champion for reading something other than what's written.

Its not the word "HOT"that I posted . . . . its the word "HOTTER". Can you tell the difference? A stove element may well be hot, but a bessemer furnace is likely to be hotter.

Visiting Australia and staying inside an air-conditioned hotel is very different from qualified researchers comparing thousands of items of data to reach conclusions.

Great Barrier Reef at Great Risk

Australia’s Great Barrier Reef at Risk from Global Warming

04-01-2005 // Heidi Ridgley

Quote:
AUSTRALIA'S Great Barrier Reef is home to more than 1,500 species of fish, 400 species of corals, 4,000 species of mollusks, 500 species of seaweed and 215 species of birds. But the world’s longest stretch of coral may not make it to mid-century if ocean temperatures continue to climb due to global warming
A recent report based on a two-year study by Queensland’s Centre for Marine Studies predicts that warmer temperatures in the Pacific could kill 95 percent of the reef’s coral by 2050.
Coral—already threatened by the polluted runoff and harmful fishing practices—is fragile. A temperature increase of less than 1.8 degrees F can bleach or kill it.
That's all its going take . . . . . A temperature increase of less than 1.8 degrees F.
Goodthing that you never visited our reef. Once you open your mouth the local environment would receive that kind of heating effect, and from only one person.

Sea levels force Kiribati to ask Fijians for new home

Water volume expands with rises in temperature. Its okay for YOU to keep your head in the sand, but don't do this on beaches, hey?

Greenland's glaciers melting faster, say scientists

Greenland's glaciers are melting 30 faster than they were a decade ago, satellite images reveal.

U.S. Navy Challenged by Climate Change

Quote:
In the 2010 Quadrennial Defense Review Report, the Pentagon expressed concern about climate change and rising sea levels, and their adverse affect on the U.S. Navy.

According to the National Research Council (NRC), coastal Navy bases surrounded by warming oceans are the first potential targets of climate change.

In addition, the Arctic presents two major challenges to the U.S. Navy, both environmental and territorial. Shaky maritime boundaries combined with a melting Arctic cold front are creating new pressures for which the U.S. Navy is unprepared.

Quote:
CLIMATE CHANGE IMPACTS NAVAL OPERATIONS

In 2007, as a result of global warming, the melting Arctic pack ice allowed marine ships to traverse the Northwest Passage for the first time. It is estimated that the Northwest Passage along Canada and Alaska will become navigable as soon as 2030.

Navigating the Northwest Passage opens up a trade route between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans for shipping, tourism, and natural resource exploitation. Territorial claims are in dispute as nations compete for access to untouched natural resources.

Quote:
COLD AND WARM FRONTS THREATEN US NAVY

Melting pack ice is also causing a rise in sea levels, posing a severe threat to U.S. naval facilities along coastal lines. A 1-metre rise in sea level, predicted by the end of the 21st century, would capsize 56 of 103 US Navy bases.

It appears that the US Navy is taking the issue of Global Warming quite seriously.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #103
goezer
The Traveler

Oddometer: 156
Don't get me wrong,

But dosent capsize mean turn upside down?
goezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #104
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Quote:
. . .

You misconstru. Cold weather occurs in the North...when the sun is low in the sky; and sunlight is weak as it slants down through more of the atmosphere.

That will cut down on performance.

Now that we've ruled out almost all the northern regions; full-time residences; most offices; ANYPLACE where clean (consistent in voltage) and reliable power is needed...what's left?
Just how often can someone be wrong? By your line of thought Solar Power would be a poor choice for Canada. Isn't Canada further North? Doesn'f the sun sit at a lower angle to the horizon in Canada? So, what do we find?
Solar power in Canada

Quote:
Canada has abundant solar energy resources, with the largest resources being found in southern Ontario, Quebec and the Prairies. The territories have a smaller potential because of their higher latitude, which results in less direct sunlight. The amount of solar energy available across the country varies with the season, latitude, weather conditions and the time of day.

To date, the main applications of solar energy technologies in Canada have been for non-electricity active solar system applications for space heating, water heating and drying crops and lumber.

Canada has many regions that are sparsely populated and somewhat inaccessible. . . . For that reason, PV cells are increasingly used as standalone units across the country, mostly as off-grid distributed electricity generation to power remote homes, cottages, telecommunications equipment, oil and pipeline monitoring stations and navigational devices.
Let's go further. By your kind of logic Solar Power would be a poor choice for the North and South Polar Regions. So, what do we find?
Australian Antarctic Division:
Can solar power be used in Antarctica?

Quote:
Contrary to what one may think, solar power can be harnessed in Antarctica during the summer months as there is almost 24 hour sunlight at the height of the season. Solar power is also used at some of the field huts, for example in the remote area power supply units at the field huts on Macquarie Island.
At Davis station, heat from the sun is currently supplying one hundred percent of the hot water for personal ablutions and laundry use in the summer ablutions block.
Quote:
Radio repeaters. If, of course, it's not a major problem when they don't work.

Billboard lighting.

Decorative lighting.

...and that's about IT. Good luck selling those things as replacement for all that yukky coal and nuclear-generated electricity.
Please explain. Are these all the possible uses that YOU can find for independent Solar Power? Not able to see any further?
Self-powered smart building uses hydrogen technology

Quote:
The Sir Samuel Griffith Building will have solar panels on its roof and down one side, plus photovoltaic film covering the glass cocoon of its main façade. On sunny days this will generate enough electricity to power the whole building. On cloudy or rainy days, the hydrogen system will kick in as a fail-safe energy backup.

"We divert some of the solar energy through an electroliser, and split water to make hydrogen," says Evan Gray, leader of the technical team that designed the building. "We take the hydrogen and store it; not as a gas but as a solid. It's absorbed into a metal and makes what's called a metal hydride - a very safe way of storing hydrogen." So there won't be any explosions around here.

"When there's no sun you bring the hydrogen back from storage, take it to a fuel cell and it generates electricity. You can store hydrogen for as long as you like: you never have to top it up, it will be there in 10 years' time," he adds. This means that even on cloudy days, the building will never have to draw from the main power grid.
So, how much longer will you post your faulty logic (or your father's?) so that we can continue to shoot you down?
Old 05-26-2012, 02:45 AM   #105
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Quote:
It's a good thing you live down under,cause your head is so far up ur ass you die of exphixiation up here.
How gracious and polite you are? An excellent example of a human being, . . . but to who?
Quote:
Hydroelectric isn't stored electricity, it's stored energy. Big difference. Once the water is run through the turbine (and fish are killed) and electricity is generated its either used or lost. There is no method known to man to store large amounts of electricity. If there were, we could catch lighting and store it.
Energy is what we use. Who's going to consume electric power? Electricity is NEVER stored, just changed to a form of Energy that can be readily converted back again. Batteries don't store electricity, either, for that matter.

YOU are splitting hairs more than Yul Brunner's barber ever did!
Quote:
I told you my son has a degree in Enviromental Biology. So, part do what I've learned over my almost 60 years is from him, not some website that is for tree hugging idiots.
Yet its starting to sound like YOU have difficulty even understanding your own son. You have an over-emotional way of expressing yourself. All these slogans. Do you work printing bumper stickers?
Quote:
FYI, freon is heavier than air, so explain how it goes into the upper regions of our atmosphere and depletes ozone, when in fact when leased it falls to the ground?
That's only DuPont's brand -- these are more compounds. So, you've observed all this freon on the ground? What does it look like? This 'leased', not purchased, Freon?

And its not just refrigerants, but Fire-Fighting compounds like bromofluoroalkanes that are problematic.
If you did some history reading on your own instead of solely following you son's speeches, you might learn the following:

Quote:
After the development of his electron capture detector, James Lovelock was the first to detect the widespread presence of CFCs in the air, finding a mole fraction of 60 ppt of CFC-11 over Ireland. In a self-funded research expedition ending in 1973, Lovelock went on to measure CFC-11 in both the Arctic and Antarctic, finding the presence of the gas in each of 50 air samples collected, and concluding that CFCs are not hazardous to the environment. The experiment did however provide the first useful data on the presence of CFCs in the atmosphere. The damage caused by CFCs was discovered by Sherry Rowland and Mario Molina who, after hearing a lecture on the subject of Lovelock's work, embarked on research resulting in the first publication suggesting the connection in 1974. It turns out that one of CFCs' most attractive features—their low reactivity— is key to their most destructive effects. CFCs' lack of reactivity gives them a lifespan that can exceed 100 years, giving them time to diffuse into the upper stratosphere. Once in the stratosphere, the sun's ultraviolet radiation is strong enough to cause the homolytic cleavage of the C-Cl bond.
There's the names. Ask James Lovelock, Sherry Rowland, and Mario Molina how all this man-made gas is rising up where its doing that damage. They are the ones to answer that question.
Quote:
There is no question man did some activities that had unforeseen consequences, but I consider it a case of over blown ego to think man can radically change the Earth's Eco-system in the few short years of our industrialization.
A surmise or conclusion, only. Do YOU have any research to counter the scientists measuring ocean temperature? Do you have any research to counter researchers taking ice cores? Have you viewed man-made deserts and measured how they affect solar reflectivity?

Even the Roman Empire was able to cause great damage to the ecosystem in their part of the world. What do you think transporting and killing great numbers of exotic animals for public entertainment over the course of several human lifetimes cans do to whole species? Where's the Asiatic Lion today?
Quote:
No doubt we can affect a portion of it, but not the entire planet. The planet has survived a lot of things far beyond our little pile of poop. The last few years we've seen earthquakes massive enough to shift the Earth's rotation. Nothing man has ever done can do that, and it affected the weather more than freon.
We don't have to change the Earth's rotation to cause damage. Forest fires in Indonesia (a Third World Country) caused smoke plumes that en-circled the globe. Astronauts on the ISS can see with their own eyes what man is doing to this planet.

Do YOU know how BIG the floating islands of garbage in the Pacific & Atlantic Oceans are?

You have very limited thinking. Even the US Military has the power to drastically change things. Have you ever heard of the US tests that exploded nuclear bombs in the inosphere, strathosphere, and even in space itself. Their efforts
changed the shape of the lower Van Allen Belt itself! World-wide radio traffic was affected for hours on end. One of these experiments caused the Queen's Astronomer, Sir Martin Ryle, to issue a strong official protest. Rosalie Bertell, PhD., GNSH, was told by a Fijian sailor that the whole sky was on fire and he thought it was the End of the World.
Quote:
Until you can explain a subject without copying and pasting, I'm not wasting anymore time with the likes of you.
You have other options?

If I hold a book from my library up to my monitor, is that acceptable?

If I read something, and take the time (hours?) to compose it in my own words, is that acceptable?

I take your final line as meaning rather - "I already believe something and no one is going affect me differently."
Sounds just like a Fully Made-Up and Closed Mind, to me! Your brain is no longer pliable . . . you can never learn anything new. Like a head full of concrete.