Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #961
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
There is no real need for o-ring chains on trials bikes. Get a heavy duty RK and your problems will be over. IRIS chains are pretty much the cheapest ones available, and thats the reason they seem to get fitted as OE on some makes of bike.............
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #962
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,280
Got some pretty good trials practice in yesterday. We have a two day event at Sipapu coming up this weekend, so I needed it.

The Cholla are just blooming and loaded with buds. They should be spectacular in about a week.

GeeGee is improving by leaps and bounds.

He is riding Master Class now. In our club, that is one down from Champ.

Here he is doing a splatter.

Seems like not a huge deal (from this angle), we see guys doing that all the time.............until you see his target to hit and land on.

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #963
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by machalooney View Post

Nice. Looks like you don't have to worry about quad idiots widening the trails. Makes the trials bike look like a powered mountain bike.

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien? like it.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #964
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,146
[QUOTE=Gordy;18786434]Got some pretty good trials practice in yesterday. We have a two day event at Sipapu coming up this weekend, so I needed it.[QUOTE]

did he buy Robs beta?

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #965
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,070
Have you never seen his # plate. He be a ROBO Rider. So cool cuz I really like the bike! And most people would not ride it just not understanding it. Thanks ROB! On the flip side I always wanted to get Rob on a real Bike!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #966
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,256

2whlrcr screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 05:10 AM
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #967
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,673
Broke a spoke on the Montessa...

Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #968
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Broke my knee on the Sherco. The spoke will be an easier fix
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #969
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
Broke my knee on the Sherco. The spoke will be an easier fix
Broke like in BROKE?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #970
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Broke as in ACL.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #971
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Broke as in ACL.
1 st Time? You must be new to trials!
Seriously nothing funny about that riding injury. Hope you can get in right away! The surgery itself sure has come a long way, but the recovery time is a lot longer than what most Doc`s tell you!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #972
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Broke as in ACL.
Ouch. CHeck out Dr. Mark Sanders in Houston. He did mine and the recovery was pretty quick. I was walking the night of the surgery, ridng a stationary bike at three days, and still limping at 6 months!

It is not a deal breaker, but ACLs are terrible.
The pre-op PT is equally as important as the post-op, so as soon as you can, I would start doing biking or anything to keep your ROM. You will only have the ROM after as you had before the surgery.

Good luck with the whole deal!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #973
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Yea, first ACL. Banged the knees up a few times before where they hurt a little but nothing like this. First time with the bad popping going on inside.
I have an overpriced slip on brace from the doctor's office now, at least I can now walk and go to work. The current plan is to give the brace some time and see if it will be stable without surgery. On the second day of the brace now. It really does wonders in stabalizing the knee. Trouble is I can really feel it stabalizing the knee. I am fairly sure this one will need surgery. That will leave my brother as the only one in the family to avoid knee surgery (for now anyway). I am probably a little lucky that I have done as well for as long as I have given both sides of the family history.

Next step will be MRI to see what all damage has been done and what it will take to fix it. How much recovery there is likely to be.

I hear the CTI(?) braces are great if you can get insurance to pay for them. If not I am considering an off the shelf knee brace. Asterisk looks pretty good from my quick and limited research. Most everything I can research revolves around riding go-fast bikes. Anyone have any suggestions that might be a little better for trials? Preferably someone who has had some time in them.

The bad part is all the banging up I have done in the past convinced me to get a decent set of knee pads. This was the first ride with them. They worked GREAT! Not a scratch, not a bruise! Trouble is they were only knee pads, not knee braces. They did nothing to keep the knee from getting ripped up internally. I will probably have a set of nice knee pads sitting around that have only been used once. Maybe I can use them later for something like laying down hardwood flooring?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #974
Gordy
Team Listo

I used to not even wear knee pads or any protection for my knees until I hyperextended one and tore the ACL.
That was about three years ago and I now religiously wear Asterisks for all dirt riiding (even trials).

I am not going to get into a debate about knee braces but I am 99% sure that if I had them on when I first tore it up, it would not have happened. That's enough reason for me.

Oh yeah, opposite patella graft heals faster than the hamstring graft.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #975
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oh I sure wish I could upload a vhs tape from `93 to see my knee blow a part while riding a ride off section in Champ. Gotta thank Bud Cole for the copy of that video!
I have worn CTI2`s since 1995. I could or would not ride without them. You would not believe how much abuse I have put them thru. Best invention ever for people that should not ride!
Down side is you should wear some kind of sleeve. Great in the winter, but hot events can be grueling. I have looked at other braces , none seem to have the same amount of durability.
If you need the surgery do it. They might try to tell you just therapy. Yes, you can nurse it along but it will work better fixed. It took me almost 18 months to feel really good. Some have tried to come back too soon and paid with another surgery.
I took out my first knee out on my 16th birthday and my last one on my 43rd. Everytime time on a trials bike. So I`ve limped along for years, now 53. The braces have kept me in it.
I could just yell, my wife just found a ride to the trials this weekend. So I could`ve left today!!! Oh well, put off too much. Friday morning at 6 will put on site by 9am.