Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #12331
Tuska
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
got my first ticket today on xtz....138kph...2kph more and i wouldv been walking !
So anyway was surprised when told speed on radar as exactly same as i saw on speedo when glanced down thinkin oooppps! 1km from home after 972km day. i thort the speedos read high on these?
Any sugestion on radar detectors

Tuska screwed with this post 05-27-2012 at 12:40 PM
Tuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #12332
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuska View Post
got my first ticket today on xtz....138kph...2kph more and i wouldv been walking !
So anyway was surprised when told speed on radar as exactly same as i saw on speedo when glanced down thinkin oooppps! 1km from home after 972km day. i thort the speedos read low on these?
Any sugestion on radar detectors
check it via GPS as my speedo is showing 100kmph actual is 92 kmph so a fair margin for error.
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #12333
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,962
So who is HighADVTours?

Nice little ride. If your stuck at home here is 20 odd minutes....

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #12334
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,700
GPS speeds aren't exact either. Usually closer than the oem speedos but they can fluctuate a bit too.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #12335
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
These throttle cables are driving me nuts! They are right in the way, I can't see my instrument cluster.

I'm going to try rotating them down out of the way. Anyone do this? Have any lessons learned to share?

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #12336
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 343
Throttle cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
These throttle cables are driving me nuts! They are right in the way, I can't see my instrument cluster.

I'm going to try rotating them down out of the way. Anyone do this? Have any lessons learned to share?

Thanks!
Hi CafeRacer ... I did that and the only thing you have to do is to get rid of the plastic little buttons on the 'cable holder' that prevent it to turn because they fit on holes drilled on the handlebar .... since I replaced my handlebar with a SW Motech Non Shock Endurance, I didn't want to drill any holes.

Cheers,
Roberto
Old 05-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #12337
DinX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I just tie them to the handlebars with a tie-wrap. They're just long enough for that
DinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #12338
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinX View Post
I just tie them to the handlebars with a tie-wrap. They're just long enough for that
Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable binding the throttle cables further down the bar - they work better with single-curve large radius bends and with plenty of slack to handle lock-to-lock steering angles.

My solution is to use a tie warp on the cables where they go through the guide to provide a "catch" that snags the guide and pulls the cables a little lower and below the line of view to the instrument panel. This works in a fashion, but the next time the steering goes to the full left lock, it unsnags so you have to re-snag it again to get the benefit.

Another person came up with this rather clever solution.

I'm going to look into the "rotate the housing" solution this winter.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #12339
Buckeye56
Batoutahelius

Oddometer: 201
Guys I went with Mark's second photo, the hose standoff and it works great for me. If you have any fuel line lying around with some zip ties give it a shot and see what you think.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Buckeye56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #12340
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Problem solved!

Also, I tried the "fuse in the clutch wiring" mod. I was holding off until I got through the first 600 miles, but only made it to 500.

Wow. Just, wow. I don't care if it gains horsepower or loses mileage, it's just so much smoother. Love it. Someday I'll look into an ECM upgrade just to have the peace of mind that everything is tuned properly. But until then, I don't see this little fuse ever coming out.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #12341
Too_Tall
The Belgian

Oddometer: 551
Had a *perfect* day yesterday.

Left house at 0600. Rode 120km's all backroads to the German Eifel forest. Arrived there at 0730. Saw about 5 cars on the entire trip. Loaded a GPS track called "Huge Eifel Tour 350km's" in the GPS. Rode all day, on a brand new Bridgestone BW502, with the clutch mod on. Arrived at Vogelsang Military area around 1330, and it was absolutely PACKED with bikes, cars, motorhomes, trucks,....saw hundreds of bikers taking nice sweeper turns in 1st or 2nd gear. Loads of squids and pirates, sweating their asses off. I was laughing in my helmet for the rest of the way home Got home with 600.8km's on the odo.

1. I don't care what anyone thinks, I prefer my BW502 tire over the Tourance EXP's. Little cheaper on the buy, and alot better on the road!

2. Clutch mod makes a big difference. Had it on for most of the time, and didn't see a big consumption increase.

3. What an awesome bike!
Old 05-29-2012, 02:24 AM   #12342
glennmack
Good Bloke

Oddometer: 20
Do I Or Don't I.....?????

Here's my dilemma.

I'm nearing the end of my first year riding here in Australia - have been restricted to 660cc bikes but will be free of this in August. I dropped into a Yammie dealer with a mate today for him to look at helmets and saw a brand new 2011 Super Tenere with a price tag of $18990 (Aussie dollars, yep - things cost more here). They have only one at this price (blue) as it is plated 2011, not 2012. Couldn't believe it. Just to put it in perspective, the BMW 1200GS kitted up with ABS and spoked wheels here is about $28000 and my G650GS was $13500 new. So the ST seems too good to be true, AND it comes with the "Adventure Pack" for free which includes the Yamaha aluminium panniers, headlight protector and bash plate ($2000 value). Sooooooo, do I buy it now and let it sit for 3 months until I'm unrestricted - then sell the Beemer? Are they as good as y'all say they are? What do I need to be aware of? (No - I haven't read the 823 pages under this thread).

Thanks for your help

G
Old 05-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #12343
Glenn C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Hi Glenn,

Seems like a good price to me. I bought mine in Nov 2010 (ex demonstrator with 1000km on the clock for $18k). I reckon you could do better on the price though. Wait until a few days before the end of June and you'll be able to name your price. The sales guys will be deparate to do a deal before the end of the financial year!

Is it new or a demo unit?

And yes, they are as good as they say, especially for long distance trips.

Cheers
Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennmack View Post
Here's my dilemma.

I'm nearing the end of my first year riding here in Australia - have been restricted to 660cc bikes but will be free of this in August. I dropped into a Yammie dealer with a mate today for him to look at helmets and saw a brand new 2011 Super Tenere with a price tag of $18990 (Aussie dollars, yep - things cost more here). They have only one at this price (blue) as it is plated 2011, not 2012. Couldn't believe it. Just to put it in perspective, the BMW 1200GS kitted up with ABS and spoked wheels here is about $28000 and my G650GS was $13500 new. So the ST seems too good to be true, AND it comes with the "Adventure Pack" for free which includes the Yamaha aluminium panniers, headlight protector and bash plate ($2000 value). Sooooooo, do I buy it now and let it sit for 3 months until I'm unrestricted - then sell the Beemer? Are they as good as y'all say they are? What do I need to be aware of? (No - I haven't read the 823 pages under this thread).

Thanks for your help

G
Old 05-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #12344
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
......... Sooooooo, do I buy it now and let it sit for 3 months until I'm unrestricted - then sell the Beemer? Are they as good as y'all say they are? What do I need to be aware of? (No - I haven't read the 823 pages under this thread).

Thanks for your help
G
They are very good and extremely easy to ride. Virtually all people who get on then notice how the low CofG make the bike feel lighter that is is. As far as I can tell, no one has had one break down to the extent where they cannot get home (aside from punctures and accidents). This cannot be said for the expensive BMWs.

The ABS can be used off road and the TCS is working all the time to keep you safe (when turned on).

It eats off road stuff despite its size. The screens are too small and induce buffeting on the forehead for most people. Depending upon your intended use, the sump guard could be a problem. If you intend to abuse the bike off road there is a risk of the sump guard breaking a hole in the sump. Both these things are easily remedied.

On the BMW it is difficult to alter the electrics without upsetting them. The Yam has a conventional electric system.

If you can afford it, get the bike and wait. 100s of Americans waited a long time and very few have been disappointed.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #12345
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Here's my dilemma.

Thanks for your help

G
No don't listen to what they say here as they are actually better than quoted mine is 2 years old at the end of next month and it is still getting better with every ride. Read Wasp's thread here on Beasts to see a couple of mods as there is also a 21/ 18 "wheel conversion now available and many many other products.
I purchase mine from Capalaba Yamaha with a great deal (Thanks Duncan) and last week he had 2 New blue ones on the floor so I guess they would give a good deal as well.

Cheers Rick
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote