User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Lime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
molybdenum disulfide

I seem to be having trouble finding where to buy molybdenum disulfide to add to the rear drive lubricant. Any suggestions?
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
waddyp
Quite Content

Oddometer: 475
Moly lubricants/additives have been around for a long time. Most recently I purchased my last batch from Guard Dog- http://www.guarddogmolylubricants.com/. Good luck
waddyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,129
your local Locktite dealer has moly paste in a can... I forget the number, but I know they have it
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 7,455
This will take you to the motorcycle moly page...

http://guarddogmolylubricants.com/prod-moto.shtml

I visited with them when I lived in Houston, Their products are very good and they package in small quantities for the motorcycle crowd.

No affiliation.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 529
Must be a honda dealer nearby! moly60.
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Beemer bone yard has it in 2oz can
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
RAL88
Marineboy

Oddometer: 77
I got my moly from here but I have recently changed over to tungsten disulfide. I use it in the tranny, final drive and engine oil.

http://www.lowerfriction.com/product...p?categoryID=1
'97' R850GS-R
"If it ain't broke take it apart and make it work better"
RAL88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
moosemeat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime View Post
I seem to be having trouble finding where to buy molybdenum disulfide to add to the rear drive lubricant. Any suggestions?
Moly lube disolves in/by oil! Why would you add it to oil? It's main purpose is in fresh engine builds/ new motor construction. Don't wast your money! The effort is pointless
moosemeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,566
You can get Dow GearGuard M at Motion Industries. That is the stuff that the ancient Airhead Gurus used to profess to using and I still use it (not for use with synthetic gear oils). One quart lasts for years at a 5% addition rate.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
portablejohn
Sociophobe

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemeat View Post
Moly lube disolves in/by oil! Why would you add it to oil? It's main purpose is in fresh engine builds/ new motor construction. Don't wast your money! The effort is pointless
I agree with you. Buy the oil that suits your needs and wants. Pretending that you can do better by formulating your own mixture is just silly. It likely does more harm than good.
portablejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
Buy a reputable oil and don't mess with the chemical composition. This isn't the 60's anymore, you don't need additives.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
aculate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemeat View Post
Not so. MoS2 does not dissolve in oil. It does dissolve in aqua regia, but then so do gold and platinum, that's some harsh stuff.
aculate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #13
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,566
It is a suspension, not a solution. Shake before using. Add directly to the gearbox with a syringe before adding the gear oil. The agitation within the gearbox is more than enough to keep it in suspension. It is always well distributed when I drain the gearboxes. I know of at least three widely respected motorcycle maintenance gurus who have used it for decades and still do. All three recommend 10% the first time and 3-5% thereafter because it is film-forming on the metal parts with the first application. It is widely used in industrial gearboxes where downtime means significant lost revenue instead of inconvenience.

Everything that one does not understand or agree with is not automatically "silly". There is usually more than one workable approach to something and success with one approach does not discredit a different one. Only bad results can do this. The only bad results I have heard with Dow M are agglomeration with some (but not all) synthetic lubes. The only downside I have seen in 30 years of using it is the cost. So, it hasn't done any harm, but if the three gurus are wrong and it does no good, then I continue to waste $45 every five years. I pay no heed to the "use by" date.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
RAL88
Marineboy

Oddometer: 77
I agree with beemerphile. I have been using moly powder in my trans and final drive in my K1100 for the last 8 years no problem. When I first put it in my FD I took it for a 2 hour ride then checked the temp with my infrared temp gun. I then changed the oil that day and replaced it with Mobile 1 with the moly in it. Went for the same ride for two hours and when I checked the temp I was 20 degrees less than without moly. I found the same thing with the trans. It took longer for the the bike to heat up at a stop and the fan to come on than it did before. Two years ago I switched from moly to the tungsten (WS2) and added it to my engine oil. Found a 3 mpg increase in my mileage along with it taking longer to heat up.

There is a lot of info out there about using it in cars and motorcycles. If you don't believe it then don't use it but don't discredit it without the knowledge and evidence to back it up.

You can't use moly in the engine oil because it is two big and will be taken out by the filter but the WS2 is small enough to pass through the filter.

FYI WS2 is the slipperyist(is that a word) substance known to man and won't even stick to itself.

I also use the WS2 mixed with Wurth Sig 3000 for doing my spline lubes
'97' R850GS-R
"If it ain't broke take it apart and make it work better"
RAL88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 7,455
Molybdenum disulfide is an EP additive found in auto engine oil, gear oils and greases. It is very slippery thereby reducing friction. It also tolerates heat very well and helps seals glide smoothly. It is used as an assembly lube in many factories when assembling systems like final drives, transmissions and engines. It is found in many of the lubricants we use on our bikes. It has been used as an anti-squeal material for noisy brake pads. It helps notchy transmissions shift more smoothly and reduces the heat in our gearboxes.

Use it without concern.
def is offline   Reply With Quote