Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Enjoy,great looking bike have fun!!!!!
Chuck Pryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #47
Xdriver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Nice bike. I test road a '10 standard with heritage bars on it today. Really nice, but sooooo much $$. I also have my eye on a two tone '09 RK Classic in a red and goldish color.

Again, nice bike. Enjoy.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #48
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Nice bike! Nice dog too :)

The two seem to go together nicely.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #49
alii1959 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Never thought about it like that but they may go together. After 14 years of a wonderful, but highly excitable, rottie we now have a boxer/greyhound mix. He is the quietest, calmest dog I have ever known. So, maybe we are slowing down abit. Not stopping just fixing it where life isn't such a blur anymore...hahaha.

Thanks for the compliments. I'll have up better pics soon.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #50
Ohio Stihl
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Fuel injection was on the bikes since 99. It was Magnetti Marnelli system. They worked great or sucked bad, no middle ground. Mine sucked ass so I converted to carb and loved it. 02 went to a Delphi system that is nothing but trouble free.

Oil puking out of air breather is combo of pressure in case and crappy umbrella vent material in the heads. It has been upgraded.

If you slouch at your dinning room table your back will hurt. Same on the bike. As stated earlier, the softail heritage bars work great on the RK. They are about the same as the police bars.

Cam chain tensioner is a bitch. They are a peach/orange color. I used to cut open my oil filters and check for particles. To check them you have to remove the exhaust then open up your cam chest. There is a upgrade kit for the older style. It is worth putting in adjustable pushrods so you don't have to remove the heads when you upgrade. Or you can go gear drive and never touch it .

Someone else stated it before. They are great bikes for what they are intended to do. I posted in another thread that the RK will haul groceries across town or you across country. Versital bike.

Enjoy your ride.
Ohio Stihl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #51
alii1959 OP
Studly Adventurer

Went for my first shakedown ride today. 70+ miles, not a long ride, but one that would have had my back screaming before. Not bad on the back...need to adjust handlebars (today) and order the new seat (tuesday) and I should be good to go.

I must have just gotten a good one, it is fairly quiet, brakes are excellent, and the vibration, after you get past walking speed, is non-existent. While she doesn't accelerate like a sport bike, she will absolutely haul. I went on one of my "normal" loops and I was running nearly the same speeds on the RK that I was on the Gixxer (guess I just never did push that bike very hard). Love the fact that my hands do not tingle/go numb during the ride. So far, so good.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #52
Xdriver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
How is it cruising at 80? Still is a pretty relaxed ride?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #53
alii1959 OP
Studly Adventurer

Probably, can't say I've seen 80 yet...but soon. I rode the back roads today and found myself pushing 70 quite often smooth as glass. I am amazed at how well the big girl hustles herself along. Always loved plump girls!!!

This is becoming an eye opening experience. This bike is much faster and more competent than I ever expected a Harley to be. Never rode one of the touring bikes until recently. They are nothing like the sportsters or even the Dynas or Softtails. I have not changed much of my riding style from the Gixxer to this, with the exception of being very conscious of the mass this bike has and respecting it. No, its not a sportbike and I did scrape the left floorboard today, but she'll still move out pretty well. And, at low speed there is no comparison...this is much better.

I added a pillion backrest (pain in the ass instructions), adjusted handlebars, and adjusted headlight today. I really like the fact that I can't break things very easily...kinda cool. I've still a few things to do to make it comfortable, but we are getting there. Overwhelmed by the number of choices of everything when trying to decide what to order.

I think I am gonna like this a lot. Every bike I have owned has suited me well at the time....I guess it may be time for a bagger.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #54
marshrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
The Sundowner seat suits me perfectly and has the adjustable-backrest option. I went with the early style Heritage bars also.
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #55
Jofa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
congrats on the new bike, the RK is a fun bike, ive got an 01 now thats kind of a beater, but it still roars around town - and scraping around corners is always fun

I had a brand new RK in 06 and it was like night and day compared to the 03 i had, the 06 had significant power, and would really accelerate a lot quicker than the previous bikes. Riding the RK slowly can be a task for ppl new to the heavy bike, With a little practice, you can really make the RKs turn and maneuver though,

Good Luck!!
Jofa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #56
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Have you thought about a riders backrest?
Folks on the HD forums say they really do the job.
+1. That and Heritage-style handlebars with 3" more pullback and a Sun-Ray seat (Sundowner with heat) did the trick for me. Can ride all day in comfort.

Also use three foot positions when doing LD rides, driver's floorboards, passenger floorboards (when solo) and highway pegs. Keeps my legs feeling fresh.

twinrider screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 12:46 AM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #57
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra61 View Post
how big of a performance difference between the 96 and 103 motors?
When I went from a stock 96 (with SE air cleaner) to the SE Stage 2 103 (SE 255 cams) the difference was tremendous. Finally the bike had the grunt it needed.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:25 AM   #58
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Congrats on the new bike, I made the same move you did from other bikes to a Harley. I went with an 06 FLHTi (electra glide standard) and couldn't be happier, at least for now.
A few tips that might further enhance your comfort, like the others stated, get the drivers backrest. When you do buy a new seat make sure it is the HD seat that has the slot in the middle or go Mustang that is made for the driver backrest.
Remove the heel shifter, coming from the gixxer you wont use it anyway and it will allow you even more room to move your left foot around. You will then have over a foot to move your feet around in different positions.
As ridiculous as it looks, also spring for some highway pegs for the crashbar, again another place to put your feet and vary your position.
Stock pipes, I can't tell if your RK still has them or not, but while the "real" HD sound is nice and fun to run through the gears with I wish my stock mufflers were still on. I have Rush slip-ons which sound great, but do get tiring after a while.
Your in GA right? If your crotch gets a little warm, if you ever ride in shorts, or get caught in city traffic also look into some heat deflectors for the rear cylinder. RJsoriginals (google) look like they were made for the bike.
Enjoy the ride and welcome to the HD brotherhood!
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #59
alii1959 OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, I ordered the new seat..a reduced reach seat. That was the recommendation of the parts guy. He explained fully why I would be more comfortable...so we ordered it. Will probably get the backrest in a while. Also picked up a "nipple" to replace the heal shifter...classy. That was my first trip to the dealer today. I told them I was looking for one of the hi-viz jackets that Harley had out a couple of years ago....waddaya know they found one called me and I went for a looksee. Surprisingly it fit and was half price..so ATGATT with Koolaid infusion!! Harley doesn't produce them anymore so finding one is difficult....probably didn't sell well to the pirates ..so I benefit.

Two visits one day....eegad! Am I already addicted?

BTW, my pipes are stock and sound nice. I had been wondering if true 2-2 pipes would sound better, although I would like the quieter ones. To me, right now, I am please with the power, handling, and sound. Just got to get the ergos right and we'll be good to go. My wife even rode with me yesterday!!! So far, I have over 200 miles in two days....a good start (would be more but Beryl is messing with me).
Old 05-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #60
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
Well, I ordered the new seat..a reduced reach seat. That was the recommendation of the parts guy. He explained fully why I would be more comfortable...so we ordered it. Will probably get the backrest in a while. Also picked up a "nipple" to replace the heal shifter...classy. That was my first trip to the dealer today. I told them I was looking for one of the hi-viz jackets that Harley had out a couple of years ago....waddaya know they found one called me and I went for a looksee. Surprisingly it fit and was half price..so ATGATT with Koolaid infusion!! Harley doesn't produce them anymore so finding one is difficult....probably didn't sell well to the pirates ..so I benefit.

Two visits one day....eegad! Am I already addicted?

BTW, my pipes are stock and sound nice. I had been wondering if true 2-2 pipes would sound better, although I would like the quieter ones. To me, right now, I am please with the power, handling, and sound. Just got to get the ergos right and we'll be good to go. My wife even rode with me yesterday!!! So far, I have over 200 miles in two days....a good start (would be more but Beryl is messing with me).
At first my '09's heel shift felt a bit odd to me but now it's part of the bike's character. Plus the shift lever is pretty stiff if I try to upshift using toe only, would need to wear a steel-toe boot.

You'll lose lower end torque with the true duals.