User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
RideAbout OP
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,575
Sanchez Bro's Eastern Oregon Adventure

V-Duck graciously invited some on his epic loop of Oregon... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780430
... so naturally the call went out to the Brothers Sanchez to see if we could screw things up!

The Sanchez Bro's... Miguel, Laredo and Oeste.

How did 3 dudes get the moniker "Sanchez Bro's"? Thats a long and disturbing story that is best shared around a campfire with tequilla and firecrackers.

Day one: Left Miguels compound early with the mercury hovering around 30...

Soon we were traipsing down Fox Butte road on our way towards Christmas Valley....

Taking anything serious, like a group photo, is impossible...

"Oh, I'm sorry... I didn't mean to hose you down with dust and gravel"...

Atop Green mountain, we notice how the cash-strapped bureaucrats had spent a good 1/2 mil updating the lookout, then locked the public out....

After sandwiches and drinks in CV, we head out to find the crash-site of the A6 Intruder that went down in 1973. After a few miscues, hissy-fits, being slapped back to reality and a 4 mile hike...

...we find the site. In 1973 on a night-time training mission, two Pilots out of Whidbey Naval air station crash during a low level pass. The debris is scattered for more than a mile and the mark they left on the earth is still visible from Google earth. This is the biggest part left...

We then take a cutoff road toward the Hogback to meet up with the other guys....

And the road becomes what we affectionally called the "Silt Road". Cruising along at 60mph you'd hit deep pockets of silt sometimes a foot or more deep.... pucker factor 9.5

We find our way onto the Hogback....

...and into Plush for Gas, grub and brew....

Onto Hart Mtn ....

and into camp with the other FF's that had done a long day from the Willamete Valley. They had to leave behind XR_Doug and his KTM shortly after lift-off due to mechanical failure.

Day one complete. Night one would be an experience we would soon not forget....

... more later....

RideAbout screwed with this post 05-28-2012 at 10:57 AM
RideAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Spartandude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
looks like fun. I will have to check back later.

I like the post processing on some of those shots too.
Spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,541
I'm waiting, what's the hold up?
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Very nice, couple of great shots in there! Man I'll bet that A6 went in hard...
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,324
Night one was "memorable". Sleeping with every bit of clothing I had on inside the sleeping bag. Stocking cap, gloves and extra socks on. Pile the rest of the riding gear on top, lay there and shiver. Daaaayum it got cold. Glad there was a hot spring to thaw out in.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Yeah that sounds like Hart Mountain...
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
RideAbout OP
Mentally Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I'm waiting, what's the hold up?
Sorry, work gets in the way of fun. 30 years with one company... only 30 more to go!
Old 05-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
RideAbout OP
Mentally Retired

Day 2

As Brother Laredo mentioned, night one was a cold sum-a-bitch! I actually contemplated getting up and sleeping in the hot springs. At one point I pulled my riding gloves over my toes in an attempt to avoid frost bite (slight exaggeration).

We all stagger out, hopping around trying to get warm...

Asvivor/John uses Laredo's canned heat....

.... while V-Duck eats a steaming package of ....... ? ... WTF?

With V-Duck and crew headed one way, the Sanchez clan had an off-road plan headed south into the Guano Basin and out past Shirk Ranch. The night before a Ranger had mentioned the route was open to travel.

Beautiful open country on the east side of Hart mtn greeted us...

... and then we were greeted by this.... Closed!

But we did discover the Order of the Antelope. This guys seems alittle concerned with whats behind him....

Oh, that explains his worried look....

Back out to Rock Creek Road for the high speed gravel run over to Hwy 205 into Fields...
Bovine intervention....

On the way, the guys execute a perfect two sided, mirror scrapping double pass while I'm looking at the scenery....

FF's....

After a Burger and shake at a very busy Fields Station, we head south to Nevada for some gambling and shopping on "Rodeo Drive", neither happened ....

... and into the Pueblo Mtn's to find the Liberator crash site....

After a few missed roads and private property signs the route was discovered but daylight was running out and my XR decided to complain (loudly) we turned back to camp here....

Camp at Bogg Hot Springs. After a good soak, we gathered around a nice fire and poked fun at each other. My "Punjab Choeley" dinner in a bag was a source for a good ribbing. Someone's musical Jockey shorts had us all rearranging chairs to remain up-wind.

Because of the remote destinations we had planned on, we each carried extra fuel. If one gallon is good, then two is better... right? Whats the worst that can happen? ... Oops!

Day two complete....

RideAbout screwed with this post 05-28-2012 at 11:01 AM
RideAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,065
It's been a while since I subscribed to a thread, but this area is one I'm dying to explore someday, so.... I'm in! (plus I'm really enjoying this so far!!!)
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
RideAbout OP
Mentally Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggin2 View Post
...this area is one I'm dying to explore someday, so.... I'm in! (plus I'm really enjoying this so far!!!)
It's a great area to explore. Lots of space to leave the crowds behind.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
RideAbout OP
Mentally Retired

Day 3

Awoke to glorious sunshine, warmer temps and well rested. Didn't spend this night in the fetal position trying to conserve every bit of energy staying warm. Today will take our group south into Nevada.

We start the day with another soak in Bogg. The water read 105* this time... warmer than in the past for me. After 10-15 minutes, it was too warm and I needed to retreat.

This is the head waters of Bogg Springs, water temp here was about 115*. The Pine mtns of Nevada rise in the background.

A short way SW we turn down to Virgin Valley and the Hot Springs there. More of a warm pond than a hot springs. Would be very refreshing on a warm day.

We head NW towards Wilson ranch and hopefully out via an unknown route of two track. Soon the Jackasses stumble upon some wild Burro's.

Cute little fellers'.

We head for Catnip Mtn and the Sheldon Refuge. Gorgeous scenery and "Big Sky" country. Had to get a water crossing photo in there. My attempt to wheelie across resulted in only a spinning rear wheel and a large splash... I got another shower.

Laredo/OlMonkeyBut cruises by as we crest upon Gooch Table. The two track was great, not to rocky but technical at times.

60 miles or so and we drop back out onto Hwy 140 and the Doherty Slide. We pause for a snack then challenge each other to a "coasting race" down the 6 mile, 7 degree slope to the town of Adel. Amazing how well drafting worked, we each took turns with the lead and were ultimately side by side as the slope ran out. That was fun!

Laredo trys to enjoy his lunch while the Cougar enjoys his...

Burger and Brew at the Adel Store...

They had an automatic vacuum cleaner installed at the resturant, anything dropped was immediately taken care of.

We ran up towards Plush then took a nice two-track up MacDowell Creek into the Warner Mtns. Bull Prarie and Mud creek are off to the left... and our destination for the night.

Setting up camp at Mud Springs. Warmer temps brought out the skeeters unfortunately. Cooked some more grub, enjoyed some interesting "Wild Blue Lager" that was really tasty that we found of all places, at the Adel mechantile. End of another great day!

Day 3

Old 05-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,065
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote