Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #136
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Oddometer: 9,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONKR View Post
Be glad to. My '05 R1200GS has 108,000+ on the original clutch and final drive and has never stranded me.
Go easy on Red! He rides a BMW /something-or-other and has about a bazillion miles on that sonuvabitch!
Old 05-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #137
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post

Not all of the equipment was two wheeled. As a matter of fact I got the feeling that motorcycles were an afterthought at this event. There would not have been many bikes there had it not been for the Rawhyde event that was held concurrently.

Day-um! that's one serious looking piece of road warrior equipment! Honey, I've decided to buy an RV. Tajikistan here we come! LOL
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #138
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

I left the Overland Expo and headed for San Diego to see my son and his family, pick up my frau at the airport and turn the BMW over to San Diego BMW for some much needed maintenance. I arrived in San Diego Sunday night and went to dinner with my son and granddaughter. The next day we just hung out and didn't really do much of anything. Tuesday we picked up the frau at the airport and went to eat at a local brewery.

Wednesday we went to SeaWorld with Lexi, my granddaughter.

The frau with Lexi in a flying fish.

That's me in the Zebra Fish!

SeaWorld was cool. This was my first time at the one in San Diego. Years ago I visited SeaWorld in San Antonio.

Next up is the Grand Canyon. I picked up a rental car and headed back to Arizona with the frau.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #139
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Still here! Been to Vegas and had too much fun to update this RR. I will be back on the road soon and hopefully have more time starting tomorrow to get this thing back on track. Bike has been service by San Diego BMW and all I have to do to finish this trip is a little cross country ride from San Diego to Asheville!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #140
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

I am currently in Payson, AZ. Yeah, I had to look it up too. A lot has happened since my last post, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Vegas, Slab City and Salvation Mountain! I have been having problems uploading photos from the hotel Wi-Fis so I have decided to wait until I get home to update the ride report. There I can relax and really explain all the amazing events of this trip. You can always click the the "Where's Kurt" button in my sig line to see how far I have made it. So until Asheville.... stay safe!
Old 06-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #141
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Pay No Attention to That Last Post

I'm in a motel tonight with a great Wi-Fi connection so I am going to try to update you on the happenings of the last week or so.

The frau and I left San Diego to see the Grand Canyon. Words cannot describe it! I found myself taking a lot of panoramic shots because of the vastness of the Canyon.

We stayed in Williams, AZ which is a major tourist stop on Historic Route 66.

The next day we went to Sedona. It was like an upscale hippy kind of place. Not really our cup of tea.

I did see this sign at a church. There's a lot of truth there!

The next day we went back to the Grand Canyon and visited the eastern side of the park. The views there were even better!

Next up... Hoover Dam and Vegas!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #142
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Hoover Dam & Vegas

The next day we headed for the Hoover Dam and Las Vegas. I had always thought that Hoover Dam was operated by the Army Corps of Engineers or the National Park Service. It appears that it is run by a concessionaire. It is expensive!!! The tour is $31 and just to see the Visitor Center is $8! The best view of the dam is from the opposite bridge.

After viewing the Hoover Dam we headed to VEGAS!! Yeah, baby! It was my first time in Vegas and I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore!

We found a motel in the Fremont area of town. The Fremont area is where Vegas began. The "strip" is relatively new. There was a great light show on Fremont Street.

And a lot of live bands and entertainment.

On our second day in Vegas we went to the "strip".

From Vegas it was back to San Diego to see the granddaughter and put the frau on a plane back to Asheville.

Breakfast at Kono's in Pacific Beach.

I put the frau on a flight to Asheville and I punched in "HOME" in the GPS. I calculate it should take me about a week to get back to Asheville. I'm NOT going to take the interstates home. Back roads and US highways all the way!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #143
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Back on the Bike

With the frau winging it back to Asheville I got back on the bike and started my cross country trip home. My first stop was Salvation Mountain at Slab City near Niland, CA. I had first heard of Salvation Mountain while reading Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. Christopher McCandless spent time in Slab City before heading for Alaska.

Salvation Mountain is the work of Leonard Knight. He bagan painting the mountain with Bible verses and religious art in an effort to acquaint people with his beliefs. The mountain is constructed of adobe and straw and thousands of gallons of paint.

From Salvation I rode on through the Imperial Dunes and the Mojave Desert. It was HOT!!!!

Along Highway 60 I saw this giant dirt devil.

Then on the Sonoran Desert in Arizona and the famous Saguaro Cactus.

Right now I am in Bloomfield, New Mexico. I should be home sometime this week, but I am taking the back roads and US highways. I also do not know what kind of weather I will have to deal with while riding through the mid-west.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #144
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

I Have Officially Left the West!

I have ridden from San Diego to Kansas in three days. It is hard to believe that I have not take a photo since leaving the Sonoran Desert. I guess I have spent so long out west that I have become jaded to the beauty. I did figure out how to use the screen shot feature on my GPS. After leaving New Mexico I entered Colorado and reached elevations of more than 10,000 feet. It was nice cool riding. But from there it was down into Eastern Colorado and Kansas.

It is looking like this trip will come to an end on Wednesday or Thursday. What a great, exhausting, long, wonderful trip it has been!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #145
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Awesome Kurt, I have also enjoyed your trip.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #146
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
nice tour!
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #147
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Almost home after three months

I rode 515 mile today and did not mean to. It took me three hours to find a motel after my GPS decided I should experience the wonders of downtown Memphis at rush hour! I will probably get home tomorrow and on Thursday I will wrap up this ride report after drinking some Asheville beer!!! It's gonna be weird getting up Thursday with no where to go!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #148
jbeem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
It appears you've had a great trip and I know it feels good to be back close to home safe and sound. Here's another way to look at it, it's early June and there's a lot of riding left this summer.
I've enjoyed the report, thanks for taking us along.
03 KLX 400
08 Versys
jbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #149
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Home!

I made it home safe and sound! I will fill y'all in on the final part of the trip tomorrow. Right now I am TIRED and drinking my first Asheville beer in three months. Damn! We got good beer here!

I rode all back roads from San Diego to Asheville and there was a bridge out just 30 miles from home. A little 40 mile detour when you're that close perks you right up!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #150
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
I rode 515 mile today and did not mean to. It took me three hours to find a motel after my GPS decided I should experience the wonders of downtown Memphis at rush hour! I will probably get home tomorrow and on Thursday I will wrap up this ride report after drinking some Asheville beer!!! It's gonna be weird getting up Thursday with no where to go!

ya shoulda stopped in, i just checked your spot ya came with in 5 miles of apt

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote