Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #61
Roark
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I finally found myself a nice first bike!

After a long, 3500 mile driving (is it a half-cage if it's a convertible?) trip around Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah I got back home and could start bike-shopping in earnest. I immediately discovered that the selection had whittled down to maybe 1/3rd of what it was before the season started, and after looking at several old/high-mileage/expensive/dropped examples I found this:

A 2007 S2 with only 14.500 km (9000 miles) on the odo, perfect history, flawless condition, decent tires, a givi rack, 12V outlet and Tomtom Rider for just 5.000 euros ($6300). It's even red for added sexiness and matches my helmet

You can imagine my joy upon discovering it, as I had previously found only pre-2006 models with as much as 30.000 miles on them and various dings and scrapes at this price point. Most clean S2's have an asking price of over $8.500, so this was a real find. And yes, bikes are expensive here in the land of lakes and taxes. A new FZ8 costs around $13.000-14.000!

Now, to put some more miles on it and maybe find a Givi or Kappa box for that luggage rack! My local store has Kappa K48Ns and K961N at reduced prices atm, any thoughts on either of those?
Roark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #62
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,178
^ ^ ^ Holy crap! I'll never complain about the prices of things in the US anymore!

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #63
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

So after hearing everyone rave about how smooth the FZ6 is, I have to admit I was a little bummed out over the buzziness I felt in my hands and feet. I got actual numbness in my hands after an hour ride, that I never had with any bike before, ever.

So after talking to a mechanic and reading some posts on the FZ6 forum, I decided to check my rear wheel alignment. I did a rough estimate and adjusted the axle in the swingarm a couple of pussy hairs, and the vibrations felt in the bars? Noticeably reduced.

Also, the mechanic at the shop suggested the rubber mounts of the foot pegs seemed a bit loose, so I cut some rubber washers out of a bicycle inner tube, and shimmed out the mounting bolts, and now everything is much tighter, and again, noticeably less vibration. It's not eliminated, but now it's no problem.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #64
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
So after hearing everyone rave about how smooth the FZ6 is, I have to admit I was a little bummed out over the buzziness I felt in my hands and feet. I got actual numbness in my hands after an hour ride, that I never had with any bike before, ever.

So after talking to a mechanic and reading some posts on the FZ6 forum, I decided to check my rear wheel alignment. I did a rough estimate and adjusted the axle in the swingarm a couple of pussy hairs, and the vibrations felt in the bars? Noticeably reduced.

Also, the mechanic at the shop suggested the rubber mounts of the foot pegs seemed a bit loose, so I cut some rubber washers out of a bicycle inner tube, and shimmed out the mounting bolts, and now everything is much tighter, and again, noticeably less vibration. It's not eliminated, but now it's no problem.
Maybe try synching throttle bodies?
Superzoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #65
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post
Maybe try synching throttle bodies?

Yep, that's definitely a possibility. But with about 900 miles on my 2008, it seems crazy they could be out. I'll look into it though...

Old 05-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #66
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Yep, that's definitely a possibility. But with about 900 miles on my 2008, it seems crazy they could be out. I'll look into it though...
I think in the first few break-in miles is where the sync will go out, but I could be wrong. Syncing these are real easy.

Also if you have buzz, maybe kick it up a gear. If I cruised at a higher RPM it was a bit buzzy, just had to run in a higher gear, and be ready with the down shift when you want to move.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #67
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
I'm looking at an 05 FZ6 w/ a steering damper, dynojet computer, and aftermarket exhaust (Remus, maybe) . It has 15,000 miles. The owner is asking what kbb retail value shows for. Is it worth that, or more, or less?

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #68
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Some truly great photos on this thread. Well done to all.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #69
SmokingBear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Just got my 2008 FZ6 earlier this year and I love it!
Working on the "naked" single headlight mod right now, will post pictures of the finished product soon.

SmokingBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #70
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Loving my new FZ6:

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #71
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Not sure how much you know about them, but the 2009 FZ6R is NOTHING AT ALL like the pre-2009s.

The 2009s have a heavier, cheaper steel tube frame rather than the aluminum twin-spar, and a different engine with 2/3rds the power of the original FZ6. It has a full fairing to appeal to new sport bike riders (not that there's anything wrong with that), but sliding pin brake calipers, stamped steel parts, and was built to a price point. It was definitely a few notches down from an older FZ6.

Just do some homework before you decide. The 2009 was not a natural refinement and upgrade from the 2008...

Here's a link to some info:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2009/...amaha2009fz6r/

I don't want to dis anyone who rides a 2009, I just want to get the story out there. I hope this helps...
Just a note. don't let the year 2009 deter you from this bike, they made both the FZ6 and 6R in 2009. i have a regular 2009 FZ6 and its fantastic, also i have heard some good things about the 6R, but it is not even related to the regular FZ.

the 6R has a more neutral front/back weight distribution and more low end grunt than the regular FZ and is easier to pop the front wheel. and it is definitely a more entry level bike because when all stops are out, my 98HP is always gonna dose the 6R's 78HP, ALWAYS.

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #72
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
When I first bought my '05 FZ6 I noticed a little bit of surging at idle. No big deal I thought, just a little out of sync, and rode it. Lately it has a stumble off idle, especially with just a blip of the throttle, and sometimes it "misses out" on hard acceleration, but eventually smooths out sort of like an engine loaded up and finally clearing out. The two problems don't occur all the time. I'll say most of the time it's just fine. Well, today, riding in town accelerating away from a stop I noticed the roughness off idle and also "pinging". Any ideas what might be the problem? The roughness, I'd suspect injection, but the pinging I'm wondering if there's an ignition control going bad. The bike has just under 29,000 miles on it. I have only had it about 700 miles and it appears to have been well maintained.

Thanks, in advance for thoughts and experience you might have had with anything similar.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #73
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
I'd check your fuel pressure. Pinging can be caused by lean running, and a flaky fuel pump/regulator will make it run inconsistently lean.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #74
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Thanks, Worroll. Sounds like a good place to start. I got a manual for the bike from the PO, so now all I need is time to get it checked.

I sometime think I have accumulated too many toys and projects. Right now a couple of the toys need attention so I'd better get them "scheduled" into my shop before I have none left running correctly. I have a small steel fabrication business (just me) and right now I have a fair bit of work to do so the toys get ignored.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #75
FuriousGeorge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Lynn, have you had a chance to sync the throttle bodies yet? I don't think it would cause pinging, but the bike definitely runs much smoother after it has been done. If you have something like a carbtune it's really easy to do and only takes a couple minutes. At 29K it's due for it's first valve check. From what I've read it's pretty rare for FZ6's to need adjustment at the first check and even then I wouldn't suspect any of the valves could be so badly out of spec to cause problems running.
FuriousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote