Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
Day13 OP
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 663
Todd with the white Tiger. I know you I wasn't at Wolfgang's changing my oil but you know me from the CADS meetings. I sat on your Tiger the first time you brought it to a meeting and said I wanted first dibs if you ever sell it!! I had the tonsil cancer last summer, remember? Let's hook up and ride some before it gets too hot. That won't be long.

Hope to see you soon.

Dave
Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
Day13 OP
Worst Avatar EVER!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Wolfgang had told us that there would be some water crossings in this day's ride, but holy cow! This was water crossings run amok! I think counting the land crossings would have been easier. Trying to keep your attention focused between the water and the unbelievable scenery was somewhat of a juggling act at times. The terrain was so rugged and picturesque, I kept expecting Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach to come riding down out of the hills at any moment. No doubt we were in the WIld West.

We followed the stream through the canyon and came around a bend and lo and behold a little Cinco de Mayo warm up party was crankin' up. These Native Americans had made this spot a gathering place to have fun with the family and friends. They even steered us around a sink hole in the stream. I'm sure they would have invited us to stay and eat if we had slowed down long enough. Whatever they were cooking smelled great! Really nice people.

We headed back to the hacienda after our first full day in NM. What a blast! The pavement riding was out of this world. Just the ride home was fabulous. A wonderful dinner and a warm bed were waiting courtesy of our sweet hostess Colleen. Then up the next day to do it all again, only in a different direction.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 AM   #18
recrazyjax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Florida Boyz in Da West

Hey Dave,

I do remember! haha...I still have my xc800 Tiger and love it. You are still welcome to ride her! Sorry I have a competing requirement on Wed that just is not letting me make the meetings. I am thinking about riding the KLR Sat if you're interested?? I could put it on our CADDs post and head south to the Ocala Nat Forest! Let me know my friend.

T
Todd

PS> Lovin' the vids and pics!!
recrazyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
Day13 OP
Worst Avatar EVER!

We began the next day by going through a couple of makeshift gates (this seemed to be a recurring theme ) in a particularly desolate area. This made me a little uneasy but we were assured it was OK. I'm sure as long as you don't get caught this would be the case.

But this got us out to where the good stuff was. Actually, it was all good stuff!

This was an old abandoned gold mine that you could crawl into through an opening about 18" high and actually stand up once you were inside. I learned this by hearing, not by doing!

Now this kind of cave was more my speed. No helmet required to keep from scraping your noggin!

I bet Wolfgang felt like he had the weight of the world on his back carrying us around!

Here are a couple more caves we were told we could hike up to and explore. Actually, you had to hike down to them. From the top!

One of the neatest things we saw this day was a real working cowgirl rounding up strays from up in the mountains and driving them back to a corral. She and her three dogs were pure poetry in motion. Someone made the comment that it doesn't get any better than this for a dog. Running through the woods herding cows. They were good at it, too.

We were eating lunch later that day and relating the story to the proprietor of the store who suddenly exclaimed, "There is her brother, ask him." Sure enough, we described what we had seen and he confirmed that it was indeed his sister and her dogs driving the cows out of the hills and down to the transport truck.

She was totin' a shootin' iron, too.

Riding out

I had almost forgotten how good this area was. Get a load of that sky!

That is Calamity Jane's rig we passed on the way in. Later confirmed by her brother.

Man, you talk about epic riding! It was literally more than I could take in. The thrill of negotiating the terrain plus the awesome scenery was a double shot of goodness that was hard to beat.

Time to head home. You can see by afternoon it had started to cloud up!

There's still more to come. Slowly but surely.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #20
slimy
Wanabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Awesome report. Makes me wish I had gone. Keep it coming!!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
yz2klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
A View from the KLR Prospective

yz2klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #22
Day13 OP
Worst Avatar EVER!

Great pics Mark. More please!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #23
yz2klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day13 View Post
Great pics Mark. More please!
Those are videos. If you click on them it should take you to it.
yz2klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #24
Day13 OP
Worst Avatar EVER!

Even better! Good stuff. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #25
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,288
gates

The gates we went through were to private property )many) that is true but when the county or state does the maintenance, we the tax payers will have the right to use these roads. Try to stay on the two track.
BIG POINT: These gates separate ownership of the live stock. We must keep them shut if we open them.
These ranchers & farmers work their butts off to make a living in these remote areas. It would just be stupid & unexcusable to not shut a gate if found shut.

There are signs on the gates & fences proclaiming PRIVATE, KEEP OUT. If you know for sure the roads is tax dollar maintained or have permission to ride through then do so & always watch out for live stock.

The local forest office is a good place to check about road closing due to "controled burn" areas. We went through one such area w/o a pause or down shift only. When entering these areas the smoke can panic some wild life & the open range live stock....look out for them.

I love New Mexico
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #26
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,288
Good vid guys

Dave your vid is great & the copy fits. Glad you enjoyed your time. The sound from your 400 was perfect.

Mark your vid captured the ride from the cabin mine to the hill top. Notice you didn't look over the edge on the way up....smart man. There are 3 or 4 mines down in that narrow area. Going to work in those mines "in the day" must have been fun....if you were a goat.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #27
tankara fishing
tierra encantada

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day13 View Post
Todd with the white Tiger. I know you I wasn't at Wolfgang's changing my oil but you know me from the CADS meetings. I sat on your Tiger the first time you brought it to a meeting and said I wanted first dibs if you ever sell it!! I had the tonsil cancer last summer, remember? Let's hook up and ride some before it gets too hot. That won't be long.

Hope to see you soon.

Dave
::: playing the Cancer Card to get a good deal on a Tiger :::
tankara fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #28
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,017
Nice report. Need to put NM on my list!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #29
Day13 OP
Worst Avatar EVER!

The Home Stretch...

This was my last day of riding as the cumulative effect of five successive days of hard riding had taken a toll on my somewhat diminished physical condition. In fact, I left the group before lunch. Wolfgang had thoughtfully planned a bailout point and as much as I hated to, I took advantage of it. It proved to be the right call.

We headed north on a long stretch of pavement to get to the off road area but it was a nice ride and very enjoyable. As I said earlier, everything seemed (is) so far flung and widespread that there was a lot of ground to cover no matter what you did. The good part is that it was all good part getting there. This day was no different. We got off the pavement and began to close in on the mountains down some long dirt two track.

It was some fabulous terrain to ride and the going was rough in some places but overall just challenging and exciting.

If it looks like fantastic riding, that's because it is...

After I broke off from the group and headed back, I was even more keenly aware of the the vastness surrounding me. Being alone out here literally in the middle of nowhere really drove home the perspective of just how small we are. I smiled as I came upon some of the locals (cows) and thought about what my wife always said, that the cows have the best views of all.

Again, even the pavement portions were awesome. Not another car in sight. I was trying to appreciate all I had been able to partake of and the solitude of the ride back served to enhance that feeling immensely. I was gonna miss this.

I love taking pics of unusual road signs. Ones you don't see all the time (me, anyway). Here are a few that caused me to stop on the way back.

Being a locomotive engineer for the railroad back in Florida, I was reminded by this shot of how quickly this fantasy week was coming to a close and that before I could turn around I'd be climbing back up on a locomotive and resuming normal operations. This has helped me to have a little different perspective of that old railroad track, though...

Well, that's all I've got. Thanks for the patience as I dribbled it out. And thanks to Wolfgang and Colleen for putting it all together and allowing me to be a part of it.

Day13 screwed with this post 05-27-2012 at 01:29 PM
Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #30
Slojoe
Easily Amused

Oddometer: 494
Thanks for the ride report.
Slojoe is offline   Reply With Quote