ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #2701
jam_nut
Back Road Explorer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasnacht View Post
This church, of the Brethren variety, sits in northern Preston County, approximately 2 miles from the PA border as the crow flies. It is a stones throw from the picnic grounds of the North Preston Farmers Club, and was established in 1840.

Tag:

Of personal interest to me, and a good clue, is that my great, great, great, great grandfather, Jacob M. Thomas, was the preacher for the congregation of that church (and many others in the area) at that time...Two generations later, my great, great grandfather, Jeremiah Thomas, also served as minister for this Church of the Brethren congregation.

This church also shares its first name with a local road of five forks. There is lots of good riding around this area, whether dirt or tarmac is your thing...but you can get there on all paved roads (note: the last 100 yards or so is deteriorating and covered with a bit of gravel but no big deal)...

There are some beautiful views within spitting distance, and here are a couple quick shots I grabbed as I was heading out...

I have some family property about 100 yards from where these shots are with a great view of the ridges seen below...

Enjoy!
Dammit, you just had to put this one in my back yard.

Honestly, I'm a bit concerned that if I grab this I will stall the game again.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #2702
TheInfamousDrBholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_nut View Post
Dammit, you just had to put this one in my back yard.

Honestly, I'm a bit concerned that if I grab this I will stall the game again.
Grab and go bro! Good weather is here i doubt youll stall the game to much. The riders are gettin on the move for the summer. As long as you place a tag its the other lazy arses that stall the game!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #2703
jam_nut
Back Road Explorer

Salem church of the brethen. Just north of Bruceton Mills.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #2704
jam_nut
Back Road Explorer

Oh, and I saw Fasnacht on the way to the next tag. That bike really stands out.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #2705
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,023
Where did it move to?
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #2706
jam_nut
Back Road Explorer

NEW TAG

This bridge is one of the only privately owned toll bridges left in the country. Toll is $.50 for cars and $.25 for bikes.

This tag is easily reachable from four states and D.C. In fact, the other side of the bridge was once a tag for one of them.

Toll booth. But, you can't use this as the tag.

jam_nut screwed with this post 05-28-2012 at 05:34 AM
jam_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #2707
TheInfamousDrBholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:

This bridge is one of the only privately owned toll bridges left in the country. Toll is $.50 for cars and $.25 for bikes.

This tag is easily reachable from four states and D.C. In fact, the other side of the bridge was once a tag for one of them.

Toll booth. But, you can't use this as the tag.
I'm confused a little dude, what's the new tag? The toll both?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #2708
jam_nut
Back Road Explorer

The bridge pic is the tag. The toll booth, on the other side, cannot be the tag.

jam_nut screwed with this post 05-28-2012 at 05:29 AM
jam_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #2709
Fasnacht
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Groovy new tag!

Hey, a quick question for the guys with BMWs in the north-central, WV area....Where do you like to go to get any wrench work done that you don't do yourself?

I am a novice wrench, and I encountered a problem Sunday that has my bike trailered...

Was on it pretty good on a bumpy, but not overly bumpy dirt/gravel road...having fun and bike running good mostly between 2nd and 3rd on that beast, when it just wallowed out...poof...no electric start...battery good, terminals good...nothing...on top of a big hill, so drift start and it would catch but wallow everytime I touched the throttle until it would quit...Did this several times, and nothing...could not even limp home. Had to call for the cavalry and trailer it home...

I have taken it to Mathias BMW in New Philadelphia, OH before, and had a good experience with those guys, but am just wondering if anybody here has a good recommendation....

Thanks.
Fasnacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #2710
jam_nut
Back Road Explorer

Quote:
Groovy new tag!

Hey, a quick question for the guys with BMWs in the north-central, WV area....Where do you like to go to get any wrench work done that you don't do yourself?.
Got mine at Velocity Cycles in Mechanicsburg, PA. That was 2007 and 47K ago. Never been back except for a recall. So, I guess I'm not a good resource.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #2711
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,339
Quote:
Got mine at Velocity Cycles in Mechanicsburg, PA. That was 2007 and 47K ago. Never been back except for a recall. So, I guess I'm not a good resource.
Actually, Velocity is in town in what we call the near the "near west end."

http://www.velocityvintage.com/

Old 05-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #2712
Fasnacht
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the feedback, guys...Going to spend a little time poking around with it this evening, but probably call up Mathias tomorrow, unless somebody has another recommendation...

I have to get an additional bike...too much fun riding to be in the shop...sigh.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #2713
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, guys...Going to spend a little time poking around with it this evening, but probably call up Mathias tomorrow, unless somebody has another recommendation...

I have to get an additional bike...too much fun riding to be in the shop...sigh.
What do you need done??

I happen to know this independent shop in Richmond that does bike work: GB Young Services, LLC.

Seriously, what needs looked at??

Old 05-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #2714
Fasnacht
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
What do you need done??

I happen to know this independent shop in Richmond that does bike work: GB Young Services, LLC.

Seriously, what needs looked at??

Guy, thanks, that is a very cool offer....All I know at this point are the symptoms I described a couple posts above...I have my Clymers and have been doing some reading, and if Richmond were a bit closer, I would meet up to at least chat about it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, my work schedule, life in general, and novice skills preclude me from opening anything up...This will change in the future, as this bike has really brought an old interest for me roaring back to life...
Old 05-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #2715
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Guy, thanks, that is a very cool offer....All I know at this point are the symptoms I described a couple posts above...I have my Clymers and have been doing some reading, and if Richmond were a bit closer, I would meet up to at least chat about it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, my work schedule, life in general, and novice skills preclude me from opening anything up...This will change in the future, as this bike has really brought an old interest for me roaring back to life...
Sorry, missed that.

Are you sure the battery is good?? Not sure what's in there, but almost sounds like the infamous Yuasa Sudden Death Syndrome (SDS)..... which is caused by the cracking of an inner cell connector. You may have lights, but any heavy loads like trying to start, or in your case, also trying to keep the fuel pump running - no go.

Personally, I would try jumping the bike with a known good battery... like from a car. Some folks poo-poo this idea saying it will destroy stuff, but the bike's system is only going to draw what is necessary, and the additional available current from a car battery will not cause any problems.