fuel injection."bah"just a passing fad
greendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #11973
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0405canvet View Post
Just spent 36 hours away from home on the DR and 24 of those riding. We only went 605km the first day, mainly dirt, but were riding for 13 hours.(were slow). Averaged 22km/l Starky with the GSXR pipe, header ground, DJ needle,second clip, air box less snorkel, extra 38ml hole and slide drilled.. The next day another 613km. but mainly tar and I changed to a stock slide. 20km/l but again tar so similar milage. The stock slide SUCKS. Poor acceleration compared to drilled and slow to return to idle. No way will I run stock slide! Hey Motolab, take your bike off the dyno and go for a ride sometime.
You should not be attempting to compensate for incorrect jetting by drilling the slide.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #11974
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgut View Post
Got the Dr out today to try out some .7kg front springs
The bloody thing would not run for longer than a few seconds.Bikes done 2500km without fault, All done in about 4 rides on WA red dust bush tracks.
Pulled the carby apart and that fine red dust got in "F$^&" its a new bike. Fair bit in the top vacume area of the slid. Looks like the small standard filter on this breather hose is not the best against this dust.
After a carby clean the bike now runs fine again.
Is this a normal issue from new ?.
Fatgut.
Replace the breather hose filter with a UNI UP-123.

Regards,

Derek
Old 05-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #11975
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
Which is why the better carburetor is the TM in the long run.
I think it just depends on whether or not you have the inclination/time/skill/patience/money to tune the FCR properly. I think if the FCR in question has a TPS, there is little question which is better. Plus, the TM doesn't have a roller slide, which means the slide and body will eventually wear out. Of course, then there's the TMR, which is another story.

Regards,

Derek
Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #11976
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racca View Post
You guys are bad karma with all your talk of carbs lately!
Since I got back from a ride on friday I've smelt fuel from bike. Pulled the bashplate off this morning to find where it was coming from and found it dripping from the hose coming from the bottom of the carby. Would this be the float stuck?? If it is, is it just a matter of taking the bowl off and giving it a helping wiggle? Also is this a sign of other problems?

Thanks guys!!!

Mark
Hello Mark,

The likely culprits are: a piece of dirt stuck between the needle and seat, deposits on the needle seat, a worn/damaged float needle (look for the tell-tale witness-line under magnification), and/or a dried up/hardened/deformed/cracked/otherwise damaged needle seat o-ring. It is rare for a float to stick or for a needle seat to be damaged (beyond having deposits on it). Don't forget to seat the float height & set the idle mixture & speed after you've fixed the problem.

Regards,

Derek
Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #11977
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
next guess would be the float level.
It is not possible to cause the carb to overflow via a misadjusted float height alone.

Regards,

Derek
Old 05-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #11978
Portly
Plodder

Oddometer: 285
I fitted a unifilter breather to mine and the next trip copped a lot of rain overnight and the next morning.
The bike developed a severe flat spot. This was caused from water running down the back of the tank onto the filter and clogging it.
To fix it I cut a plastic cover out of an oil bottle that hooks over the top of the breather to keep it dry.
Portly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #11979
Born-to-ride
GSXR!!!

Oddometer: 64
Acerbis or IMS?? Which is " better "

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?kvebq2
Born-to-ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:01 AM   #11980
0405canvet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
jetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
You should not be attempting to compensate for incorrect jetting by drilling the slide.

Regards,

Derek
Hello Derek (Motolab);

Could you please give us baseline jetting of the BST to give clean running, good acceleration and acceptable fuel milage? My bike stock got 18.3km per litre, now I get 22km per litre with much better acceleration and still clean running. My header is ground, no snorkel, extra 38ml. hole drilled in top of air box, slide drilled and needle off shelf in richest clip. So far you have told us what not to do, so please tell us what we should do. Thanks for your time.
0405canvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #11981
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born-to-ride View Post

---
Which is cheaper? IMS works good for me., but i'm kind of sorry i didn't get the safari now, an extra 10 litres when required comes in handy.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:21 AM   #11982
Croney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Big or Biggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born-to-ride View Post

---
I scored a preloved IMS and it does the job for me, and the dollars saved meant I could get some other things.
Still have some 'penis envy' about the Safari though. I reckon if you can aford a Safari, go for it.
Obviously you get a few more k's for the $ ....

SPOT - http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...lCtPyqSCbXkmID
Croney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #11983
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,177
The Acerbis is probably a bit new to get much feedback on but it looks flash, holds about the same (20L) as the IMS and Acerbis have a pretty good name in general. (I think?) Costs about $400.00 in Australia and probably about sixty bucks cheaper from Just Gas Tanks

It's your money but I'd go the Acerbis just to be the first on the block!
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #11984
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0405canvet View Post
Hello Derek (Motolab);

Could you please give us baseline jetting of the BST to give clean running, good acceleration and acceptable fuel milage? My bike stock got 18.3km per litre, now I get 22km per litre with much better acceleration and still clean running. My header is ground, no snorkel, extra 38ml. hole drilled in top of air box, slide drilled and needle off shelf in richest clip. So far you have told us what not to do, so please tell us what we should do. Thanks for your time.
Please see http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11903, after the second quote.

Regards,

Derek
Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #11985
Portly
Plodder

Oddometer: 285
The Acerbis tank holds about 2.5 litres more than the IMS when both are new.
Acerbis 20.5 litres and IMS around 18 litres. Both tanks will expand a bit. One acerbis user has quoted 21.5 litres on his second fill for his acerbis. All being even it will probably go out another litre or so to around 23 which was somewhere around the original aim by acerbis.
I fitted an acerbis last weekend and think its angular lines looks better on the DR than the IMS.
The fit was straight forward with no clearance issues with the standard carb (I have read of issues with one of the alternative carbs).
It also has the little bit different factor at the moment as there are a heap of IMSs out there but few acerbis at the moment.
New prices are almost identical.
I bought locally in case there were any issues with a new model and paid $400.
A bonus is that they stuffed up when putting the fitting kit together and packed a right side fuel tap instead of left, so when you get the tank at the moment they are supplying both left and right taps.
The taps retail for about $40 and if you want to fit the right side you only need to drill out where the filter tube goes into the tank (the screw holes are already there).
Portly is offline   Reply With Quote