User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #24061
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,692

The first 17mi of my 44mi ride yesterday in time lapse.

Then the already half-full 16GB card filled up and it quit recording.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #24062
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Well, it's not the worst idea I've ever had, but it could use some refinements.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #24063
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,395
Looks like a good start, you need a compartment that can hold you cycling shoees, helmet, gloves, change of clothes, etc.. Pelican box works great:

Removing the rear wheel of the bicycle also help weight distribution.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #24064
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
You're the man! I'd have been creamed crap on toast 30 seconds into that.
After four beers on an empty stomach, there wasn't a trail out there I would have been afraid to try.

Quote:
...although now I'm pricing MTBs. I blame you!
You'll thank me for it. I haven't ridden my street bike once since I started mountain biking. Mountain biking through forest trails is soooo much more fun and challenging than riding for hours on a strip of asphalt in the broiling sun.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #24065
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,766
Got out for a short pedal before I get back to weekend chores. Not real pretty, but I managed to not fall over or make much of a mess.
Caught a big motor on the way back that towed me and another guy for a good bit. Missed that when they turned off.

It will be a while before I'm taking any turns at the front.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #24066
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 969
Flume Trail, Lake Tahoe

We're spending the long weekend in Lake Tahoe. Rode the Flume trail today -- muddy slushy fireroad climb, followed by several miles of level but exposed singletrack with amazing views, followed by 3 miles of blazing doubletrack descent. Overall a nice ride; Fun factor wasn't huge, but the scenery made up for it.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #24067
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Hill climbing

I wanted to spend some time learning to climb steep hills yesterday. What better place to learn than the trails at Chuck Lennon park?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #24068
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

You'll thank me for it. I haven't ridden my street bike once since I started mountain biking. Mountain biking through forest trails is soooo much more fun and challenging than riding for hours on a strip of asphalt in the broiling sun.
Bah! I grew up in the land of plastic seat sweat. Heat doesn't bother me much. Plus I love descending. I love it enough to grind through the rest of it.

However, I'm still pondering the idea of putting a simple MTB together. Despite being in the middle of the city, there's a pretty good trail not too far from me. Nashbar has a very simple 26" hardtail with disc brakes for about fo' hunnert that might be in my price range. What'd be your recommendation?
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #24069
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Bah! I grew up in the land of plastic seat sweat. Heat doesn't bother me much. Plus I love descending. I love it enough to grind through the rest of it.

However, I'm still pondering the idea of putting a simple MTB together. Despite being in the middle of the city, there's a pretty good trail not too far from me. Nashbar has a very simple 26" hardtail with disc brakes for about fo' hunnert that might be in my price range. What'd be your recommendation?
If you can put a HT with disk brakes together for a measly $400, I say go for it! I ride with this guy who has a clapped out old HT with cable actuated rim brakes and skinny tires, which looks like something built in the 1970's. It's a piece of garbage that I'd be afraid to ride. Yet he's managed one of the fastest lap times at our favorite local trail on it.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #24070
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:

Spend the extra $100 and get a 29er.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._trail_xii.htm
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #24071
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,766
Got out for another ride. Hotter than Sunday and windy again.

That left me sore. I used up two bottles of nuun, and four of water. Only ate two Chomps.
Had to stop about a mile from home in some shade for a few minutes.
When I got home I pulled the junk out of my pockets kicked off my shoes and socks re-loaded a bottle with ice and water and hit the pool. That started to get me cooled down. Two bottles of water and two big glasses of water later I am feeling not too bad.
The good news is my back doesn't hurt. Bad news is the damned toilet tank leaks.

Tale of the tape:

Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #24072
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer90 View Post
Spend the extra $100 and get a 29er.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._trail_xii.htm
Many wise people have said that it's important to learn to pick a line and negotiate obstacles with a 26er first. Then go to 29.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #24073
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Many wise people have said that it's important to learn to pick a line and negotiate obstacles with a 26er first. Then go to 29.
I've got one of each. I've read all the alleged advantages of the 29er's over 26er's, but I've been unable to prove any of them in practice. I've seen no noticeable advantage in climbing or stability or better traction over my 26er. My suspicion is that they're simply too small to be measured in anything but 'laboratory conditions'. What is instantly apparent however, is that my 26er is quicker through the turns, accelerates and stops faster than the 29er, and just feels a lot more lively and fun to ride aggressively. And the differences in these respects are by no means subtle.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #24074
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,659
Riding with old guys. Old, fast guys.

Link

Did a nice 41 mile ride today. I leave the Garmin trip timer running all the time - look at the speeds after the rest stop...it's where the speed flat-lines for 15 minutes or so. From that point on, we were basically at 25 mph or faster. Everyone was dropped out of 15 or so in this group except for three diamond-frame riders, me and my buddy David, also on a recumbent. Well, David was dropped in the last mile.

Even more remarkable were the ages of the riders.... the other three were in their last 50's to mid-60's. David is a few years younger than me.

Our moving average was a bit under 20. Given that it was an urban ride with a ton of lights, we did pretty good!
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #24075
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Link

Did a nice 41 mile ride today. I leave the Garmin trip timer running all the time - look at the speeds after the rest stop...it's where the speed flat-lines for 15 minutes or so. From that point on, we were basically at 25 mph or faster. Everyone was dropped out of 15 or so in this group except for three diamond-frame riders, me and my buddy David, also on a recumbent. Well, David was dropped in the last mile.

Even more remarkable were the ages of the riders.... the other three were in their last 50's to mid-60's. David is a few years younger than me.

Our moving average was a bit under 20. Given that it was an urban ride with a ton of lights, we did pretty good!
That's another reason I'm giving up road riding. I don't think it's at all fair that riders much older than me are able to ride faster. At least on the mtb trails, I'm the oldest one out there, and in the rare instances where someone does pass me on the trail, I can always use the excuse that he's half my age.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: