ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #4861
pachap
Studly Adventurer
 
pachap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Crap-vannah, GA
Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post


pachap, you need to make up your mind.

Everytime I click on a thread, you're in it saying you're buying that bike .
I know man, I know. I quickly get fixated on a bike and then I have second thoughts and come back to a Versys. For example, I was going to buy a Versys about two months ago and the tranny went out in my wife's SUV, killed my cash stash . Then I decided to put a deposit down on a NC700X and backed out at the last moment. Then I started juggling between a Ninja 650 and an FZ6R . I made a good offer, more than it was worth, on an ER6N earlier this week but the dealer turned it down. I have again settled on a Versys and I think it will stick this time. Just gonna take few more weeks to have all the cash ready. I got my eye on brand new 2011 in Imperial Red that has a good price on it, but I think I am going to order a 2012 black and yellow. I am a Steelers fan, so it has really caught my eye.

In short, I hit a skid of paralysis by analysis. I am usually pretty decisive and can develop and carry out well-thought plans, but it has not worked out here. I kept thinking of the options and got all confuzzled.
__________________
What's the difference between fibromyalgia and MS? Neither does my doctor....
pachap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #4862
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer
 
outsidein's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
I know man, I know. I quickly get fixated on a bike and then I have second thoughts and come back to a Versys. For example, I was going to buy a Versys about two months ago and the tranny went out in my wife's SUV, killed my cash stash . Then I decided to put a deposit down on a NC700X and backed out at the last moment. Then I started juggling between a Ninja 650 and an FZ6R . I made a good offer, more than it was worth, on an ER6N earlier this week but the dealer turned it down. I have again settled on a Versys and I think it will stick this time. Just gonna take few more weeks to have all the cash ready. I got my eye on brand new 2011 in Imperial Red that has a good price on it, but I think I am going to order a 2012 black and yellow. I am a Steelers fan, so it has really caught my eye.

In short, I hit a skid of paralysis by analysis. I am usually pretty decisive and can develop and carry out well-thought plans, but it has not worked out here. I kept thinking of the options and got all confuzzled.
If you value comfort for longer trips or better view in traffic you'll like the V better. Also the V's motor is more torquey which is more satisfying on the street, in the 2012 Ninja 650 model upgrade they gave it the V's motor, prior versions of the Ninja have a less torquey motor. I would say the V's handling is on par with either of the other two bikes. The suspension is more adjustable (rebound and front preload) on the V compared to the Ninja 650.

The V is better with a few accessories though. Consider engine bars to make it tip over proof (they'll save you some $$ the first time you drop it on it's side). Also shields like the touring Givi make it better for highway travel or colder weather. A Givi top box is very handy and makes it feel more secure if you carry a passenger as it acts as a back rest.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #4863
pachap
Studly Adventurer
 
pachap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Crap-vannah, GA
Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
If you value comfort for longer trips or better view in traffic you'll like the V better. Also the V's motor is more torquey which is more satisfying on the street, in the 2012 Ninja 650 model upgrade they gave it the V's motor, prior versions of the Ninja have a less torquey motor. I would say the V's handling is on par with either of the other two bikes. The suspension is more adjustable (rebound and front preload) on the V compared to the Ninja 650.

The V is better with a few accessories though. Consider engine bars to make it tip over proof (they'll save you some $$ the first time you drop it on it's side). Also shields like the touring Givi make it better for highway travel or colder weather. A Givi top box is very handy and makes it feel more secure if you carry a passenger as it acts as a back rest.
My line of thought pretty much lines up with yours. Basically, commuting to work by motorcycle is no longer an option for me. I will be riding to school and back home 2 days a week and some misc. errand running. Leaves the weekends for longer trips when I don't have my head buried in notes or a textbook. I really do like the Ninja, but not quite as much as the V.

I've already got a farkle list planned out, but a bigger windshield isn't in the works for me. I like the air hitting me in the chest. Done plenty of cold weather trips on a cruiser and I was fine.
__________________
What's the difference between fibromyalgia and MS? Neither does my doctor....
pachap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #4864
miguelito
Studly Adventurer
 
miguelito's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: San Miguel de Allende, GTO, Mexico
Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...item2a1def5717

hi Versys owners!
is this a good deal?
i need a good commuter bike. something i could do 10,000mi a year on and just add gasoline and change the oil....
thx!

Yes, that's a very good deal, so long as they're true to their word and don't have any hidden fees.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #4865
jdrocks
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
Also the V's motor is more torquey which is more satisfying on the street, in the 2012 Ninja 650 model upgrade they gave it the V's motor, prior versions of the Ninja have a less torquey motor.
hmmm, you sure you got that part right?

the upgraded 2012 Ninja motor widens the gap between the Versys motor in both horsepower and torque.

too bad Kawasaki doesn't use the Ninja spec motor in both bikes. if you think your Versys runs nice and strong now, think about another 10% in both performance categories.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #4866
ec90t
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Terrible Hut
Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...item2a1def5717

hi Versys owners!
is this a good deal?
i need a good commuter bike. something i could do 10,000mi a year on and just add gasoline and change the oil....
thx!
That's a killer deal. The add even states no freight/doc/etc..... I've not seen anything close, other than the one I bought!
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #4867
flying_hun
Moral Hazard
 
flying_hun's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: East Bay, CA
Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam View Post
I just got my 2008 Versys with 4196 miles on it this week. I bought it because I'm hoping to ship it over to Europe next year for a two month ride and then leaving it there so I can go back every few years and take other rides.
That's exactly what I did. Ended up missing it so bad I bought one for here too.
__________________
Kurt

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:28 AM   #4868
rockwallaby
n00b
 
rockwallaby's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Tasmania
Oddometer: 7
Europe

Thought I would check in on the Versys forum.
First post here.

I got my 2008 Versys a two years ago now with the same idea of shipping it from my home turf of Australia over to France for some nice riding through the Alps. I missed my first opportunity to bring it over as I left Aus at the same time I got the bike, so not enough time to ship it and have fun. Then last year, with new girlfriend, I didn't have a long stay over in Europe. She didn't like the idea of me coming over for so long, so we stopped. Now I am over here again, in southern France and just wish I had my Versys over here.

I have a car here, which makes getting about very easy, but man, it's no fun when I see, like yesterday, going on a nice drive through the hill around Nyons and such, so so so many bikes. Woman out there on their bikes. All sorts of bikes. And the weather, one word, perfect!

Now Roam, I am looking at buying a bike over here in the next couple of weeks and joining up with a mate in north west France to plan a trip a long way east, Swisse, Germany so forth. So I look on the good French web site called Leboncoin and I find many well priced and well looked after and well setup bikes for travels.

Just yesterday I found this 2007 Versys all setup for touring for only Euro $3500.
If you have trouble reading the French, just copy the text out and use google translate, magic!
For that sort of figure it really doesn't make much sense for me to ship mine from Australia to Europe.
I too want a bike here for a few years so I can come back and do more trips, but I now think it will be much better for me to have a bike here in France and one in Australia, and save all the hassles of shipping.
The nice idea with shipping is that I could put all my gear in the bike crate.
But I managed to bring all my riding gear with me on the flight over anyhow.

I am thinking I will either get a Versys or maybe like this Yamaha TDM 850, for also Euro $3500

Anyhow Roam, get over here asap, the roads are waiting.

A picture of my Versys, currently in the shed in Australia.
Not sure how to get the picture on this page yet, the insert picture didn't show the picture from my picasa album, any hints?

Cheers,
Rockwallaby



Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam View Post
I just got my 2008 Versys with 4196 miles on it this week. I bought it because I'm hoping to ship it over to Europe next year for a two month ride and then leaving it there so I can go back every few years and take other rides.

I've basically have a year to get ready and hope to update this thread to document the changes and mods to the bike over that time. Here are a couple of iPhone pics of the bike in the garage after registering it at the DMV. So far the only thing I've done are install the Aprillia Tuono mirrors and some Vortex swingarm spools.





-Hugh
rockwallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #4869
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer
 
BuffWv's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hills of central wv(Gassaway Wv)
Oddometer: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...item2a1def5717

hi Versys owners!
is this a good deal?
i need a good commuter bike. something i could do 10,000mi a year on and just add gasoline and change the oil....
thx!
Be careful on that deal, my friend that owns the local Kawai place here checked into those adds. May just have to take a short ride up and ask hem in person
__________________
What seemed fast on a KLR is slow on a Versys
BuffWv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #4870
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...item2a1def5717

hi Versys owners!
is this a good deal?
i need a good commuter bike. something i could do 10,000mi a year on and just add gasoline and change the oil....
thx!

Short answer: yes.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #4871
Psalm11_6
Adventurer
 
Psalm11_6's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Mid to SE Kansas
Oddometer: 29
These days, that only narrows it down to non-Russian (ural)

With tolerances what they are in most manufacturing facilities, 10k miles isn't much to ask of a bike :-)

Versys is to fantastic motorcycle of course, just saying that if you like triumph, you're not buying a lemon :-D
Psalm11_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #4872
flying_hun
Moral Hazard
 
flying_hun's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: East Bay, CA
Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwallaby View Post
Now Roam, I am looking at buying a bike over here in the next couple of weeks and joining up with a mate in north west France to plan a trip a long way east, Swisse, Germany so forth. So I look on the good French web site called Leboncoin and I find many well priced and well looked after and well setup bikes for travels.
Maybe it's different as a resident, but when I looked into buying a bike in France as a tourist, it was not a trivial exercise. That's why I chose just to ship a bike I already owned. Not knowing your situation, you may find it easier.
__________________
Kurt

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #4873
Kevinj110
पवित्र गाय
 
Kevinj110's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Franklin, Indiana
Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
I'm waiting to hear a Leo Vinci and MTC in person, but from the youtube vid's those seem to be on the quiet side of what's out there.
I have an SBK on my Versys I like the way it sounds but I have never heard it without the db killer in it. Ever wanna hear it let me know. I am only a couple minutes south of you.
Kevinj110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #4874
rockwallaby
n00b
 
rockwallaby's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Tasmania
Oddometer: 7
Yes, that is true oh great flying one.
Though I am no resident of France, pure Aussie. Though having friends in France has made the difference.
The car I bought here a few years ago was a bit of messing about, but I tell you, it was a heck of a lot easier than trying to get a French SIM card for my phone, for that you need a bank account in France! Yes, buying and owning a car in France for me was easier than getting a sim card!

rockwallaby ~ hopping about on a different continent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
Maybe it's different as a resident, but when I looked into buying a bike in France as a tourist, it was not a trivial exercise. That's why I chose just to ship a bike I already owned. Not knowing your situation, you may find it easier.
rockwallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #4875
rockwallaby
n00b
 
rockwallaby's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Tasmania
Oddometer: 7
Well, that Versys was too good a deal, I think it has been sold. The guy needed to sell it before beginning of June.
Ok, I'll write up a check list for buying a 'moto' in France.
Big thing to remember is that for insurance, which they correctly call assurance here is that you need to show the number of years of insurance you have had, say for a car or bike. To get the maximum no claim bonus you need to show thirteen years of good insurance. Less, and you start to pay more for the premium. So, get your insurance paper work in order beforehand and you'll have less problems.

Man, I tell you, the amount bikes over here on the roads I'm on have me drooling. I'm going to sell my car, (Renault, yes it's French) and put that money into the bike, even if I give the car away!
Teams of bike came passed me the other day, and the bitumen was oh so good for in the twisties. Totally no fun in the cage I tell you. I am just now organising to drive the cage up from my camp here in south east France (Rhone-Alps, Drome, just outside Montelimar) to go to a friends up the north west (near Angers, le Mans) by June 3 or 4.

Once there I will get the bike and dispose of the car.
Have most of my bike gear and camping equipment. I will get a new set of boots and then spend a couple of weeks setting up the bike to how I want, then by around June 20 to 22 I head off east toward Switzerland the Alps, Germany and what ever comes up on the horizon. Sure will be different to riding in Australia. The food here is yum and the wine and beer is cheaper than dirt. I have contacted a friend in The Netherlands who is on a Tiger, who is heading down Italy way for a group met and tour, so we may met up for some ways through the mountains between Holland and Italy.

If I get to the Balkan's I'll sure to give you a shout, but that might be next year's trip, you can show me about your territory, and if you come to Australia, specifically Tasmania where we have the bestest and twistest in the land, where you see a sunset on the east coast and you ride like hell to see the sunset on the west coast of this little island, I'll organise a bike for you.

rockingwallaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Tell us more about procedures if you decide to buy that Versys (or any bike) in FRA.


I can give you my Versys for a spin if you give me yours in Oz.
rockwallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014