Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #24076
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I've got one of each. I've read all the alleged advantages of the 29er's over 26er's, but I've been unable to prove any of them in practice. I've seen no noticeable advantage in climbing or stability or better traction over my 26er. My suspicion is that they're simply too small to be measured in anything but 'laboratory conditions'.
I think a lot of that has to do with riding style, experience, and terrain. Up here, everyone sees a noticeable difference in what a 29er can do. The two regulars who ride with me, saw it on the very first time I went out on my 29er. As you may recall, I've ridden the trails you ride. There's a noticeable difference in the sugar sand and rooted areas.

Also, you're comparing a long-travel 26" (plush-absorbs it all and has a totally different suspension design from your 29er) to a XC 29er (tighter ride). I think if you compared like bikes, with the same suspension design and travel, rode at a faster pace, rode more challenging terrain (more mountainous area), you'd see the difference. I'm not putting down your capabilities, let me be clear about that.

Quote:
What is instantly apparent however, is that my 26er is quicker through the turns, accelerates and stops faster than the 29er, and just feels a lot more lively and fun to ride aggressively. And the differences in these respects are by no means subtle.
I'll agree with that. I kept my 26" for a while, before letting it go. But, everytime I grabbed a MTB, I took my 29er. I do miss the lively ride of my 26", though.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #24077
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I think a lot of that has to do with riding style, experience, and terrain. Up here, everyone sees a noticeable difference in what a 29er can do. The two regulars who ride with me, saw it on the very first time I went out on my 29er. As you may recall, I've ridden the trails you ride. There's a noticeable difference in the sugar sand and rooted areas.
I think I can say pretty confidently that I've ridden these two bikes on every kind of terrain one can find in the area: little rocks, huge boulders, small and large roots, sugar sand, hard packed dirt, steep climbs and descents, and even through grassy fields. I've also had two very experienced riders (Ben Mays, who runs a mtb training school, and Dave, a former BMX racer) do back to back tests, and both came away with exactly the same impressions I have. Neither could say for sure whether the 29er was indeed faster over all, but both said without the slightest reservation that it felt slow and sluggish compared to the 26er.

Quote:
Also, you're comparing a long-travel 26" (plush-absorbs it all and has a totally different suspension design from your 29er) to a XC 29er (tighter ride). I think if you compared like bikes, with the same suspension design and travel, rode at a faster pace, rode more challenging terrain (more mountainous area), you'd see the difference.
I'm not aware of any 29ers with 6" of shock travel, so I don't know how such a comparison could be made. I'm told that 29ers typically have less shock travel because their larger wheels roll over objects more easily. That would still mean however, that a 29er with 4" of shock travel would be less effective at absorbing hits when going off drops than a 26er with a full 6" of shock travel.

Quote:
I'm not putting down your capabilities, let me be clear about that.
It would be a perfectly legitimate point if you did. Rider skill is obviously going to determine to some extent how the bike behaves. Long travel suspension may make up for imperfectly timed landings, for instance - something an expert rider may not experience at all. A 26er, which allows the rider to make more rapid adjustments in speed when entering corners or when climbing steep slopes, is going to be more forgiving in instances where I'm either carrying too much velocity or too little. I also find it much easier to make rapid course adjustments, which pays big dividends when racing up a slope and not knowing which way the trail will turn as I reach the top. A more experienced rider would be familiar with these trails and have chosen his entry perfectly to avoid any surprises. Yet the fact that a 26er enables me to make up for these kinds of mistakes is something I would say counts for it rather than against it.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #24078
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,136
Sad day in Charlotte today

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Accid...155297615.html
Old 05-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #24079
enjine
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Trek DS 8.3

Just picked this up today. I have been out of bike riding for years but the area where I live has lots of great roads and paths. This bike should be perfect for the kind of riding I do.

My R1100R and XR400 will handle everything else.

enjine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #24080
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
I've got one of each. I've read all the alleged advantages of the 29er's over 26er's, but I've been unable to prove any of them in practice. I've seen no noticeable advantage in climbing or stability or better traction over my 26er. My suspicion is that they're simply too small to be measured in anything but 'laboratory conditions'. What is instantly apparent however, is that my 26er is quicker through the turns, accelerates and stops faster than the 29er, and just feels a lot more lively and fun to ride aggressively. And the differences in these respects are by no means subtle.
I'm faster on my 29er than on my 26er on my timed route that I've been riding for four years. I also climb better on it and clear a lot of rocky ledge climbs that I never could before it. I broke my rear derailleur on my Niner and went back to my Yeti 26er and didn't like it. I sold it once I got my Niner fixed. Different strokes I guess.
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #24081
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Many wise people have said that it's important to learn to pick a line and negotiate obstacles with a 26er first. Then go to 29.
And other wise people have said just the opposite. Both bikes have their pros/cons - just get the one you like and enjoy the sport
Old 05-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #24082
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer90 View Post
And other wise people have said just the opposite. Both bikes have their pros/cons - just get the one you like and enjoy the sport
its a lot easier on your bike and wallet to learn how to pick a line and ride smoothly.

M
Old 05-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #24083
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,877
I'm faster and climb better on my 29er than my 26er.

It may have something to do with the ~6lb weight difference.

That said, riding the heavier bike for the last several years has conditioned me to the point of riding up with the fast kids now that I'm on a equally capable and lighter 29er.

Some of them used to try to drop me on climbs but they've learned that I'm there to stay.

OTOH -Having gone down kinda hard on a steepish section on the 29er I've been checking my speed on HD's until I regain my confidence. (It's a slow process because my aim is the long term.)

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #24084
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,445
OTOH -Having gone down kinda hard on a steepish section on the 29er I've been checking my speed on HD's until I regain my confidence. (It's a slow process because my aim is the long term.)[/QUOTE]

And broken collarbones and separated shoulders are no fun atall! Ask me how I know!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #24085
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
its a lot easier on your bike and wallet to learn how to pick a line and ride smoothly.

M
And why is this not possible on a 29er?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #24086
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
And broken collarbones and separated shoulders are no fun atall! Ask me how I know!
I cracked two ribs each of the first two years after getting back into mountain biking. I was afraid it was going to become a tradition
Thankfully, haven't cracked any ribs since 2008.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #24087
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
I cracked two ribs each of the first two years after getting back into mountain biking. I was afraid it was going to become a tradition
Thankfully, haven't cracked any ribs since 2008.
Werd! I separated my shoulder in '99 on the Fat Chance, first ride with my new Time Atac's. Popped a wheelie in a neighbors driveway, bounced off a tree, while failing at unclipping, and had my first visit with Vicodin. Collarbone was on the M/C, but a few firsts there too. First ambulance ride ever. First taste of Morphine. First long ride home with then GF while not talking for hours... Not things I want to repeat anytime soon! the plus side of the collarbone was it happened at the beginning of the '03 TDF. I laid on the couch for 3 weeks watching bike racing, popping Vicodin.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #24088
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I started learning much faster on a FS bike. Because when I chose a bad line, I still knew it -- the squish doesn't hide your mistakes, it just reduces the associated penalty a bit. That made me bolder about trying new things, which helped me to learn more quickly. Also, I didn't wear out nearly as quickly from soaking up the hits with my legs, so I rode more, which also contributed to faster learning.

But more importantly: I have more fun riding a more capable machine. That's what it's all about in the end.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #24089
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer90 View Post
I'm faster on my 29er than on my 26er on my timed route that I've been riding for four years. I also climb better on it and clear a lot of rocky ledge climbs that I never could before it. I broke my rear derailleur on my Niner and went back to my Yeti 26er and didn't like it. I sold it once I got my Niner fixed. Different strokes I guess.
Odd that you should say that. I shaved over 20 seconds off my best lap time on my favorite local trail just by switching to a 26er. Both my 29er and 26's have carbon fiber frames, and weigh about the same (~27 lbs), but the amount of inertia those big 29er wheels produce makes the bike feel much more sluggish during rapid directional changes. I really want to love the 29er, but the 26er is a much more enjoyable and engaging ride.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #24090
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Odd that you should say that. I shaved over 20 seconds off my best lap time on my favorite local trail just by switching to a 26er. Both my 29er and 26's have carbon fiber frames, and weigh about the same (~27 lbs), but the amount of inertia those big 29er wheels produce makes the bike feel much more sluggish during rapid directional changes. I really want to love the 29er, but the 26er is a much more enjoyable and engaging ride.
I can easily see feeling that way. I do get that sluggishness too when I try to rapidly accelerate out of a slow section. In order to get the faster time I had to change my riding style and start carrying more speed through the corners in order to keep my momentum up and keep those big wheels rolling. We have a lot of rocks out here so the big wheels help on that too which is one of the reasons I switched.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: